or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go › 2012 Gathering in Lake Tahoe 2/26-3/3/12
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2012 Gathering in Lake Tahoe 2/26-3/3/12 - Page 24

post #691 of 1318

Don't forget the fine print: there are upcharges for Squaw, Alpine, and Northstar. I'm sure it's still a good deal, just do the math.

 


*Tickets are valid at Sugar Bowl, Mt. Rose and Homewood with 2-for-1 privileges at Diamond Peak.  There will be a $16.00 ticket window upgrade fee to ski/ride Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows and a $22.00 upgrade fee is required to ski/ride Northstar.  These fees are to be collected at these ticket windows on the day of redemption.

post #692 of 1318

The base is $68 per day, so it is $84 for Squaw or $90 for Northstar.

That is a discount, but not much of one.

 

Time to start making a list of sucker,  er, window rates.

Squaw is $92, but $86 advance purchase.

Northstar is $91 or $88 (price changes Feb 26).

 

Rose is less than $68, anyway.

 

This is only North, right?  So Heavenly ($85) and Kirkwood ($79) are not included. 

post #693 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post

I signed the roll-call before, but now I'm really committed.  Booked my flights and a rental car.  To be honest, I was dithering because of all the layoffs where I work, but I finally decided I can't put my life on hold forever. Today I have a job; today I spend money.  Simple enough.

 

I did miss out on the 6-pack unfortunately, and I could have gotten flights for a lot fewer miles if I had done it 3 weeks ago.  Oh well.

Bring on the snow!


I unfortunately may bcome a casualty of the economic uncertainty. I just can't afford to take the time off if I were to get the pink slip. I need to keep the money coming in just in case I have to deal with a long dry spell.

 

I didn't get the 6 pack. It's too far out to commit. So now I feel less stressed out since I've yet to commit on anything. Needless to say, I hadn't bought my fight yet. If I got clear sign that the layoff doesn't affect me, I can still go. I can afford the extra cost if I keep my job.
 

 

post #694 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post

Don't forget the fine print: there are upcharges for Squaw, Alpine, and Northstar. I'm sure it's still a good deal, just do the math.

 


*Tickets are valid at Sugar Bowl, Mt. Rose and Homewood with 2-for-1 privileges at Diamond Peak.  There will be a $16.00 ticket window upgrade fee to ski/ride Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows and a $22.00 upgrade fee is required to ski/ride Northstar.  These fees are to be collected at these ticket windows on the day of redemption.


Thanks for that - I missed the dreaded fine print. 

 

 

 

 

 

post #695 of 1318

Costco is selling 2 days unlimited at Kirkwood for $99, and 2 days for $89 at Sierra at Tahoe.  Not too bad.  I'll keep an eye out for deals.  Also I think we get buddy passes at Northstar / Heavenly with our Epic pass.

post #696 of 1318

and  Squalpine passholders can

  • Bring a friend and receive $10 off of an adult all day lift ticket or $5 off a senior, youth or child lift ticket.  Valid when winter pass is valid, limit one discount ticket per passholder, per day. Passholder must be present for purchase
post #697 of 1318

For those of you who flake on pre-purchasing tickets, there are always options. You can go to Costco in Reno when you fly in (you can literally walk to Costco from RNO if you feel like it). You can use liftopia.com, and you can use the resort's web sites. Also, I'm sure that some of us will have buddy passes offering some kind of discount. You may have to buy beer in exchange for those. beercheer.gif

post #698 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post

For those of you who flake on pre-purchasing tickets, there are always options. You can go to Costco in Reno when you fly in (you can literally walk to Costco from RNO if you feel like it). You can use liftopia.com, and you can use the resort's web sites. Also, I'm sure that some of us will have buddy passes offering some kind of discount. You may have to buy beer in exchange for those. beercheer.gif


For Mount Rose, it will be a veritable bargain!.  It is "twofer" tuesday so 2 tickets for the price of one or ~$30 each.  Cheaper than using a six pack ticket even  Should leave $ in the pocket to buy beer for the guides....beercheer.gif

 

post #699 of 1318

Uuum, you really want to be paid in Buds or PBR? beercheer.gif

post #700 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by veteran View Post

Uuum, you really want to be paid in Buds or PBR? beercheer.gif



I'll raise you a couple of Sierra Nevadas.

post #701 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by veteran View Post

Uuum, you really want to be paid in Buds or PBR? beercheer.gif



This ain't TGR... we're 'fisticated. wink.gif

 

Honestly, any cold beer along with a smile from the people you showed your mountain off to is satisfaction alone for most guides...that and the beer. 

post #702 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post



This ain't TGR... we're 'fisticated. wink.gif

 

Honestly, any cold beer along with a smile from the people you showed your mountain off to is satisfaction alone for most guides...that and the beer. 


Sounds like the best way for the group to show appreciation to the guides at the end of the day is to head to a bar and have the group open up a tab for the guides that we all chip in on.  

 

post #703 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by veteran View Post

Uuum, you really want to be paid in Buds or PBR? beercheer.gif



You have to remember that for me BUD is one of these fancy foreign beers...biggrin.gif

post #704 of 1318

Originally Posted by Philpug View Post



This ain't TGR... we're 'fisticated. wink.gif

 

Honestly, any cold beer along with a smile from the people you showed your mountain off to is satisfaction alone for most guides...that and the beer. 

A small point, but, very much worth mentioning....

 

Any half-way appreciative group needs to buy lunch for their guide. I was amazed last year that this practice was not common place. People, guides are giving up a day so you can have some fun! If I buy it myself, no guide I'm with will dig into own pockets.
 

 

post #705 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Proof View Post

A small point, but, very much worth mentioning....

 


It is probably also worth mentioning that Epic is not paying guides. We're all volunteers. So if you're with me the day we're at Alpine and anyone asks you if you're in a lesson, the answer is an emphatic 'no.' I will not be in uniform and not on the clock. Management would not be happy if they thought I was out teaching/guiding 'off the books.' I'm psyched to show everyone my office and it's great views, but this is a not-for-profit venture.

 

I do like beer though. beercheer.gif

post #706 of 1318

The Gathermeister has put together a list of who's who from both Epicski and Tahoe lore..hopefully he will be able to hold everyone to their verbal commitments but schedules do change and hopefully everyone will be able to show up.

post #707 of 1318


 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post



This ain't TGR... we're 'fisticated. wink.gif

 

Honestly, any cold beer along with a smile from the people you showed your mountain off to is satisfaction alone for most guides...that and the beer. 


icon14.gif


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MephitBlue View Post


Sounds like the best way for the group to show appreciation to the guides at the end of the day is to head to a bar and have the group open up a tab for the guides that we all chip in on.  

 

are you sure you want to go there with a Scotsman around??rolleyes.gif

post #708 of 1318

ski 4 3235714099_a45a241986.jpg good idea

post #709 of 1318

n1408137883_30288433_5878862.jpg

 

We need a sponsor from a brewery. Scotskier, pop over to Guinness because their beer miraculously cured my busted leg in 3 days! kirkwood ski resort jan 2011.jpg

post #710 of 1318

Ask and you shall receive Gathering Bears!  Alaskan Brewing Co. has agreed to host a party Tuesday evening with food and a keg of Alaska's best!  I have to confirm the location but we should be able to host the party at Sky Tavern ski lodge located just below Mt. Rose on the Mt. Rose Hwy.  This will coincide nicely with the ski day at Mt. Rose scheduled for the same day.  The lodge also has a nice large screen to show everyone's videos and photos!  There will be a nominal fee for the party and 100% of the donation will go to the Sky Tavern Junior Ski Program which has been teaching local kids how to ski for over 50 years and uses an all volunteer staff to run the program.

 

Hope to see everyone there!  I here Phil and I will have some swag for the party too!

post #711 of 1318

 

 

The Sky Tavern program sounds awesome, Bud

 

Presenting the Sky Tavern Junior Ski Program.

Open only on the weekends, the Sky Tavern Junior Ski Program  is an 8 week learn-to-ski/ride program that starts in January each year.  The objective of the program is to provide a safe and fun environment that fosters family participation and a lifelong love of recreational winter sports, at an extremely reasonable price. Children receive a 2 hour lessons from our PSIA/AASI trained snowsports school every weekend in the morning and have the rest of the day to free ski or ride. 

 


Edited by veteran - 12/26/11 at 2:11am
post #712 of 1318

Thanks Bud and Alaskan Brewing company!

 

And Yes.......Sky Tavern is a great little hill supported by people with passion to spread the passion for the sport.  

 

This is a very good thing!

 

post #713 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud heishman View Post

Ask and you shall receive Gathering Bears!  Alaskan Brewing Co. has agreed to host a party Tuesday evening with food and a keg of Alaska's best!  I have to confirm the location but we should be able to host the party at Sky Tavern ski lodge located just below Mt. Rose on the Mt. Rose Hwy.  This will coincide nicely with the ski day at Mt. Rose scheduled for the same day.  The lodge also has a nice large screen to show everyone's videos and photos!  There will be a nominal fee for the party and 100% of the donation will go to the Sky Tavern Junior Ski Program which has been teaching local kids how to ski for over 50 years and uses an all volunteer staff to run the program.

 

Hope to see everyone there!  I here Phil and I will have some swag for the party too!



This gathering just keeps getting better and better!

post #714 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

Thanks Bud and Alaskan Brewing company!

 

And Yes.......Sky Tavern is a great little hill supported by people with passion to spread the passion for the sport.  

 

This is a very good thing!

 

It sounds better than the After School All Stars Program  where, as I understand it,  kids who stay back after school to study (and not get into trouble in malls) get rewarded with a ski trip to Mammoth. Vegas has something similar.


Homepage > Locations > Las Vegas b_pg_print.gif  b_pg_email.gif  
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Las Vegas

After-School All-Stars was officially organized in the Las Vegas 
valley in 2003 after acquiring and broadening the services offered 
by the original organization, the Greater Las Vegas Inner-City 
Games, which was founded in 1995 by Elaine Wynn.  Since 
inception, the organization has served more than 100,000 youth 
locally.


Today, the organization provides dozens of free academic, athletic 
and cultural after-school programs to more than 6,000 youth at 15 
at-risk schools throughout Clark County School District.

 

 

 

post #715 of 1318

Highs at South Lake Tahoe the last three days were 55 twice and 57 once and some records for the dates were set, But the skiing is 1,000 to 3,000 feet higher were it is colder. Surface was good on the man-made groomers for the three days I was at Heavenly before Christmas. Crowds were heavy the first day and more moderate the next two. With two months to go beforre the gathering, it should get better.

 

I have run into some deals that I thought I.should share:

 

1. Buy 10 gallons of gas at participating Shell station and get two for one valid at many ski areas including Squaw and Alpine. You need to save your receipt and get a coupon at the gas station. See http://www.skifreedeals.com for more information. Thanks to slidingonthecheap for sharing this deal.

 

2. From what I see on Mt. Rose website, Two for Tuesday tickets and all other specials need to be bought on-line in advance. http://www.mtrose.com/tickets-passes-daily-specials/tickets-passes-daily-specials No more walking up and finding a partner in ticket line.

 

3. See below for great mid-week deal at Resort at Squaw Creek. This was a travelzoo local deal for San Francisco that I received an e-mail about. If you need to signup to travelzoo, you could give them my e-mail (tseebach@msndotcom) I may get something for it.

 

 

Head to one of Conde Nast Traveler's Top 50 Ski Resort Hotels in North America in peak winter season. Travelzoo has exclusively negotiated a $199 package for two at Tahoe's AAA 4-Diamond Resort at Squaw Creek that includes an overnight stay and winter activities -- which regularly would cost $439.
Why we love this deal
  • Offer is valid all of ski season, Sunday-Thursday, Jan. 8 - April 30
  • Two-night stays are $379 weekdays, $449 for Friday arrivals (Reg. $798)
  • Guests can choose free ice skating, snowshoeing or Nordic skiing for two
  • Includes a welcome bottle of wine and s'mores by the resort's fire pits
View Deal »

 

.  


Edited by tseeb - 12/28/11 at 8:34am
post #716 of 1318

Saw this in case anyone's interested - I can't log on because my puter says "too many connections": soiunds like a lot of people are trying to grab these tix.

 
Just for YOU! Kirkwood Mountain Resort now has discounted lift tickets for $23.98! Hurry before these tickets are gone!!
www.lifttickets.com
‎1. E-TICKETS - biggest savings Purchase and print your discount lift tickets online and redeem at the resort ticket window.

 

post #717 of 1318

fyi"Party Like it's SnowFest!" Fundraiser Friday, 2 March 2012 SnowFest! Opening Ceremonies with On-Mountain Firework's presented by Coors Light 18:00 SnowFest! Queen Coronation 21:00 3rd Annual "Hot Dog 80's Retro Party" Saturday, 3 March 2012 » 02:00 3rd Annual "Hot Dog 80's Retro Party" 22nd Annual Gar Woods Polar Bear Swim 07:00 North Tahoe Firefighter's Pancake Breakfast 09:00 Rahlves' Banzai Tour-"KT-22 Banzai" 21:00 4th Annual "Snowdown" with the Space Cowboys Sunday, 4 March 2012 » 02:00 4th Annual "Snowdown" with the Space Cowboys 09:00 Rahlves' Banzai Tour - "KT-22 Banzai" 09:00 36th Annual "Great Ski Race" 16:00 Sunnyside "Luau" Tuesday, 6 March 2012 16:00 Cornice Cantina's "Sundeck Ski Race" Wednesday, 7 March 2012 Bunco Babes "Bunco Bash" 13:00 Truckee River Winery's "Ice Carving Extravaganza" Thursday, 8 March 2012 16:00 Cornice Cantina's "Bloody Mary Masters Competition" Saturday, 10 March 2012 08:30 North Tahoe Public Utility District Pancake Breakfast 09:00 Rahlves' Banzai Tour Final & Super Final- "Silver Belt Banzai" 09:00 Dress up your Dog Contest 11:30 SnowFest! Kings Beach Parade 12:30 Calente! After Parade Party & SnowFest! Queen Raffle 13:30 Kings Beach Friends of the Library Snow"what" Building Contest 17:00 ARC & NLT Family Resource Center "2012 Snow Fiesta" Sunday, 11 March 2012 SnowFest! Ends 09:00 Rahlves' Banzai Tour Final & Super Final - "Silver Belt Banzai" 12:00 River Ranch Annual Snow Sculpture Contest 13:00 Tahoe Donner "Ididarun"

post #718 of 1318

Hi

 

I've got two tahoe six packs that I bought for a trip in february that I now can't do (I'm in London, England). They were $299 each. Anyone interested let me know.

 

Cheers

post #719 of 1318

Note: $23.98 is before Christmas.  Tix here are $ 58.86 on the day we visit Kirkwood

 

 No Good.

 

PS. We need to do a serious snowdance to Ullr. snowfalling.gif Some areas have no snow at the top. No chance of snow before Jan 17. 

Tioga & Sonora Passes are still open which is unheard of at this time in winter.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by veteran View Post

Saw this in case anyone's interested - I can't log on because my puter says "too many connections": soiunds like a lot of people are trying to grab these tix.

 
Just for YOU! Kirkwood Mountain Resort now has discounted lift tickets for $23.98! Hurry before these tickets are gone!!
www.lifttickets.com
‎1. E-TICKETS - biggest savings Purchase and print your discount lift tickets online and redeem at the resort ticket window.

 



 

post #720 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by tseeb View Post

I have run into some deals that I thought I.should share:

 

1. Buy 10 gallons of gas at participating Shell station and get two for one valid at many ski areas including Squaw and Alpine. You need to save your receipt and get a coupon at the gas station. See http://www.skifreedeals.com for more information. Thanks to slidingonthecheap for sharing this deal.

 

2. From what I see on Mt. Rose website, Two for Tuesday tickets and all other specials need to be bought on-line in advance. http://www.mtrose.com/tickets-passes-daily-specials/tickets-passes-daily-specials No more walking up and finding a partner in ticket line.

 

Thanks greatly  tseeb

  You & I have noted  Mt Rose Twfoor deal may need advance purchase.

 

The Shell gas deal is great!icon14.gif  (also good in Oregon & Colorado where I've used it a lot in past)

 

  Only catch is no Tahoe basin Shell stations (SLT & Truckee etc)  participate.

OTOH  Reno has 8 Shell stations that do.    Sacramento to Auburn stations are also available.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go › 2012 Gathering in Lake Tahoe 2/26-3/3/12