Sadly, I'm out for the Gathering. My ex had to leave town for a few days which means I have my kids and they have school and dance functions this weekend. Major bummer. I hope this improves the chances of a big dump of snow for the rest of you.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAlpine Meadowstagged by System, 5/26/11
- topicEpicSki Gatheringstagged by System, 5/26/11
- itemHeavenlytagged by System, 5/26/11
- itemKirkwood Mountain Resorttagged by System, 5/26/11
- itemMt. Rose - Ski Tahoetagged by System, 11/5/11
- itemNorthstar-at-Tahoetagged by System, 5/26/11
- itemSquaw Valley USAtagged by System, 9/7/11
- itemSugar Bowl Resorttagged by System, 5/26/11
Related Forum Threads
- Spending Christmas in Sacramento Last post on 10/23/13 at 12:38pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- 2014 / 15 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke Last post on 9/11/15 at 1:15pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Trip to lake Tahoe? Last post on 10/22/13 at 2:22pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- ski lake tahoe - day tix for up to 8 resorts for $329 Last post on 7/14/13 at 1:47am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Tahoe - what priority order to ski? Last post on 1/26/13 at 2:43pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/17/16
- Northstar California Unofficial GuideLast edited: 10/16/13
- Sugar Bowl, CA - A PictorialLast edited: 10/14/13
- Squaw Valley & Alpine Meadows - A PictorialLast edited: 9/21/13
- Squaw Valley Unofficial GuideLast edited: 7/17/15
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
2012 Gathering in Lake Tahoe 2/26-3/3/12 - Page 36post #1051 of 13182/24/12 at 12:29pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1052 of 13182/24/12 at 1:17pm
If you can bring both...you can have two options. I can help you with the first, unfortunately as a non-golfer I can't help you with the second:-) Yeah, I remember the $0.50,. find me on Thu, we will have a beer.
Quote:post #1053 of 13182/24/12 at 1:20pm
12-18 inches by Thu morning... Sounds too good to be true this season, but we always have hope... That will certainly make for a nasty drive up on Wed... oh well, should be worth it...Quote:Originally Posted by JayT
So you're telling me there's a chance! From TWD...
The cold is going to be our friend though as some weak systems moves through next week. Limited moisture can stil bring decent snow when you have 20:1 snow:water ratios. The first weak system will dive in on Monday and into Monday night. It will reinforce the cold air and will bring some light precip to the Sierra.
As the storm spins across the basin it will drop a tenth to a quarter of an inch of liquid and all models agree on this today. That is enough for only 1-3 inches of snow but the average temperature of 20 degrees Monday and Monday night means we could see 2-4 inches at the lake and 3-6 inches on the mountains. This will be the kind of blower pow that blows away when you carve and you still scrape down to the glacier snow underneath.
The next system moves in on Wednesday and is another cold storm with high snow ratios. The European and its ensemble members have been consistent with a quarter to a half of an inch of liquid all week as I have been stating. The Canadian has been agreeing and now the 0z and 12z GFS model runs have chimed in. The GFS tends to be like my cousin Tim (we call him Sloth), always late to the party.
Confidence is building with each model run that shows the same amount of liquid. This would bring 3-6 inches at the lake with 6-12 inches above 7000 ft., and 12-18 inches along the crest by Thursday morning. This is just beyond my 5 day window that I like to put out an exact snowfall forecast, so it’s still a 50/50 chance so don’t throw a party yet.post #1054 of 13182/24/12 at 1:21pm
Quote:post #1055 of 13182/24/12 at 1:57pmQuote:
I guess since we're trying to stay under 100, I'll just bring the One's, 98. No way I can stay under 100 with my golf clubs.post #1056 of 13182/24/12 at 2:25pmpost #1057 of 13182/24/12 at 4:19pm
I was wrong in previous post where I thought I have two $50 Kirkwood tickets for Sat. to sell. I only have two if I don't go as my $359 Tahoe Value Pass in not valid at Kirkwood (and Northstar) on Sat. It's probably too late to swap days, but crowds have not been that bad at Heavenly, maybe due to Alpine/Squaw discounting while Heavenly/Northstar went up to $101 over holidays. Not sure if they have come back down to previous $99 walkup as Vail was keeping walk-up price secret.
I'm also not trying to try to cause futher issues, but thought everyone should know there is a once in four years chance to ski Alpine/Squaw for $29 on 2/29 through Leap Day discount at lifttickets.com. While not as good as the $9 deal I got on Valentine's Day, I'd do that before paying close to full price at Northstar. But if as predicted it's snowing and the storm comes in with a lot of wind, Northstar could ski better than Squaw.
LAKE TAHOE See all the Lake Tahoe deals next week Starting at only $29 SAVE 68% Starting at only $29 SAVE 68% Starting at only $24 SAVE 65% Starting at only $28 SAVE 48%post #1058 of 13182/24/12 at 4:30pm
For Heavenly and Northstar, I have all 6 of my ski with a friend discounts available. It's not a great discount, but if anyone needs this just let me know so we can meet up.
Also, All of Laural Hill Crazie's 6-pack tickets are available except Squaw and Alpine days. If you send me a PM on needs, I will try to coordinate getting these into hands that need them and get LHC repaid.
Edited by Cirquerider - 2/24/12 at 5:01pmpost #1059 of 13182/24/12 at 4:37pmpost #1060 of 13182/24/12 at 5:04pmQuote:
I'm bringing 100 underfoot. But I am leaving my powder cords home.post #1061 of 13182/24/12 at 5:15pm
I think around 85 would be appropriate. If we happen to get a big dump on Wednesday night then you can just rent fatter skis for Thursday. No other day has the possibility of being an issue.
Edited by bullhorn - 2/24/12 at 7:08pmpost #1062 of 13182/24/12 at 5:51pmQuote:
I'm another sad bear who had to miss the Gathering. Work got in the way. This just happens to be a bad week for me.
post #1063 of 13182/24/12 at 8:23pmQuote:
I skied at Squaw today. Many great skiers seemed to be pleased sitting on 100+ underfoot skis. I questioned that, but nonetheless, they claim that it was a good ski for the soft snow that the sun effected.post #1064 of 13182/24/12 at 9:19pmpost #1065 of 13182/24/12 at 9:21pm
If anyone's going to be at Squaw on Sunday ("day zero"), let's get together. I've been here all week and been doing too much solitary skiing. Tentative plan: meet at Dave's Deli (near KT-22) at 9:15. PM me.post #1066 of 13182/24/12 at 11:24pmpost #1067 of 13182/25/12 at 3:12ampost #1068 of 13182/25/12 at 6:02ampost #1069 of 13182/25/12 at 6:13amQuote:
Oh you Easterners. Having spent a large part of my childhood driving through West Texas, I never understood why Kansas got such a bad rap. Kansas was definitely Eden compared to this:post #1070 of 13182/25/12 at 7:13ampost #1071 of 13182/25/12 at 7:15ampost #1072 of 13182/25/12 at 7:40ampost #1073 of 13182/25/12 at 7:42ampost #1074 of 13182/25/12 at 9:24ampost #1075 of 13182/25/12 at 9:37am
I had not skied for 5 days due to a cold and was stunned when I went out yesterday. Everyone was back on their rock skis, and most of those are around 100mm. damn.
Quote:post #1076 of 13182/25/12 at 4:52pm
I can think of 30-40 reason umm inches of why he is not coming out. it was chest deep in the tracks.
again thanks east coasters.
post #1077 of 13182/25/12 at 5:02pm
Wish I was too, though I did finally dust off the Katanas today to slay waist-deep pow! Still, me and Tahoe have unfinished business.post #1078 of 13182/25/12 at 5:16pmpost #1079 of 13182/25/12 at 5:18pm
Unfortunately, probably not. It is pretty boney in the BC (most of it), and with fresh on top of firm, avy danger is likely to be fairly high - especially if the storm comes in cold like it is looking.post #1080 of 13182/25/12 at 6:13pm
yikes.... i leave burlington to come to truckee and look at stowe! cant win for losing..... forget an AT setup. skied northstar today, nice mountain but the snow is almost non-existent.
the good terrain was mostly closed. :(
- 2012 Gathering in Lake Tahoe 2/26-3/3/12
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Northstar California Unofficial Guide
- › Ski dimensions advice [2nd season in WA, bought used Solomon Scream W] 8 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . 13 minutes ago
- › Ski size question 24 minutes ago
- › Bomberskiclinic stowe / Alta lodge powder tracks 49 minutes ago
- › Picture of the day... 1 hour, 10 minutes ago
- › 5-year plans for Alta and Snowbasin 1 hour, 20 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 1 hour, 32 minutes ago
- › North American snow watch 2016- snow reports needed! 1 hour, 35 minutes ago
- › How do i go from snow plow to a complete parallel turn? 1 hour, 42 minutes ago
- › How to fix cracked ski edge 2 hours, 2 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer