EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Beginner Zone › Progress...and some thanks!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Progress...and some thanks!

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 

I guess that now after 1 full season and 23 days of skiing I can no longer really call myself a beginner...  I've gone from this:

 

DSC_0460a.jpg

 

 

To this:

DSC_0156a.jpg

 

and before anyone comments I know that photos do not tell a 'complete' picture, I am not looking for any sort of 'critique'..... but merely to share a simple truth with others who are just starting out on their skiing 'voyage'.   This forum really helped me ... it made me think about what I was doing and why, it helped me overcome some anxieties I had.   Simply being able to read about and share in the experiences of others was in some cases inspiring.  Yes I had lessons, yes I had support from others I skied with, but I truthfully believe that EPIC helped me ask the right questions.  

 

If you were to ask my wife...she would also tell you I spent a lot of cash... new boots (x2) new skis (x2) and of course new clothing jackets helmets poles goggles..etc etc etc.... to say nothing about the costs of lift passes travel hotels and so on.......so yes it has been an expensive hobby (or passion).... but would I change anything or do anything differently (apart from the noob mistakes with boots!)?    Answer has got to be a resounding no!   The pleasure and sheer excitement I have had over the last 10 months has been priceless! I can not wait until we get snow here in Austria again....and before anyone asks yes I already skied on the glaciers..... 

Now I have a new 'hobby' to follow in the summer as I just bought this (much to my wife's disgust!)

DSCN0775a.jpg

 

53 years old.... and still a kid at heart!    Have a great summer everyone!

post #2 of 24

Alen, what a transformation, well done!  Great success story, thanks for sharing, and spreading the wealth to others just starting up.  Welcome to the land of the snow addicts, Junior.  smile.gif

 

Nice new wheels, BTW.

post #3 of 24

Great Attitude Alen!  "You've Come A Long Way Baby"!   Keep Going!  Welcome to the club!

post #4 of 24

Grat post. Can I ask a question though? How does an Austrian guy make it 53 years without having learned to ski yet? Did you have to pay some kind of a fine each year that you did not ski or anything? biggrin.gif Great choice on summertime sport, btw. I hope you have lots of nice trails to ride on.

post #5 of 24

Good on ya, Alen! What a great transformation. Keep it up, and enjoy your summer on the trails.

post #6 of 24

Awesome, Alen, and congratulations. You're certainly on the right road, 'er, trail, 'er, singletrack....

 

Enjoy summer, and let that new bike keep you fit and ready for next season!

 

wink.gif

 

Best regards,

Bob

post #7 of 24

Alen, notes like yours make my day! Your wife is a lucky gal to have such a robust young husband. 

post #8 of 24
Thread Starter 

Guys... apologies for not replying...been too busy working, biking and fishing (not necessarily in that order!) and have just seen this...thanks to all for the for the kind words. icon14.gif

 

@ epic...just for info - I'm Scottish, not Austrian.  Not much of an excuse I know, but...... Currently live close to Vienna but actually work in Bratislava (Slovakia).  Company (international) moved me here about 3 years ago to set up and run finance processes (yawn...another accountant!)...and to be honest I'm not 'in a rush' to get back to the UK, not enough snow there! 

Go to admit I miss Scotland tho..... but it looks like I will be here for at least another 2 years before my employer gives me another opportunity to prove my incompetence somewhere else.  

Wait a minute...wonder if we have an office or production plant in Colorado? rolleyes.gif

 

post #9 of 24

Alen, those are really great results! I love the first picture - the girl behind you is going "what the f---?? confused.gif "  

 

I learned as an adult too, and it's so wonderful to see adults making measurable progress in such brief periods. 

 

Enjoy the summer!

post #10 of 24

Congrats- you should post this in the How to Stop Looking like a Gaper thread!

post #11 of 24

You do realize that the aging process will now begin to reverse (both mentally & physically), so it is best to prepare the wife for the upcoming regression.

wink.gif

JF

post #12 of 24

Nice!!

post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ster View Post

You do realize that the aging process will now begin to reverse (both mentally & physically), so it is best to prepare the wife for the upcoming regression.

wink.gif

JF


And maybe get her involved in the regression!!

 

Looks like you're having fun Alen.  keep it up!

 

post #14 of 24

Nice work! Pretty soon you will be looking forward to winter as a favorite time of year, not hating winter like most normal folks. icon14.gif

post #15 of 24

That happened to me! Except now I find myself secretly plotting to uproot to a mountain town. It's a slippery slope that I'm afraid might lead to me sitting alone in a cabin looking at a mountain lake reminiscing about my "family".
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromano View Post

Nice work! Pretty soon you will be looking forward to winter as a favorite time of year, not hating winter like most normal folks. icon14.gif



 

post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by keniski View Post

That happened to me! Except now I find myself secretly plotting to uproot to a mountain town. It's a slippery slope that I'm afraid might lead to me sitting alone in a cabin looking at a mountain lake reminiscing about my "family".

 


You have to get them hooked too! Or move to a place like Portland, Seattle,  or Denver or SLC where they can have a "normal city" and still be close to the Mountains. SLC isn't really normal, but its pretty close.

 

post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by keniski View Post

That happened to me! Except now I find myself secretly plotting to uproot to a mountain town. It's a slippery slope that I'm afraid might lead to me sitting alone in a cabin looking at a mountain lake reminiscing about my "family".
 



 


You can totally get them interested.  There are tons of great family location options that will interest them AND get you closer to the mountains.........

SLC

Ogden

Bend

Reno

San Fran

Denver

and many more.......

 

Why don't you bring them out here for a visit so we can show them how amazing the mountains can be year round!

 

post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tromano View Post

Nice work! Pretty soon you will be looking forward to winter as a favorite time of year, not hating winter like most normal folks. icon14.gif

Truth.

 

Great to see the progress, thanks for sharing!
 

 

post #19 of 24


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromano View Post




You have to get them hooked too! Or move to a place like Portland, Seattle,  or Denver or SLC where they can have a "normal city" and still be close to the Mountains. SLC isn't really normal, but its pretty close.

 



 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post




You can totally get them interested.  There are tons of great family location options that will interest them AND get you closer to the mountains.........

SLC

Ogden

Bend

Reno

San Fran

Denver

and many more.......

 

Why don't you bring them out here for a visit so we can show them how amazing the mountains can be year round!

 

 

Oh I knew the devils would show up on my shoulder!!!

 

Ok I was hoping for it... That was a blatant phish for TC, Tromano, et al to chime in!  Alen, sorry about the temporary thread hijack. I have been thinking about starting a thread for those of us having midlife crises even though we really are too young to be considered midlife. This has been in the back of my mind since a summer trip to JH years ago but has been growing and growing with my renewed fervor for skiing, my appreciation for the mountains, and my growing dislike with the factors of Eastern major metropolitan life. I actually have been recently reviewing many of the threads about moving as my desire for a simpler structure of life has started to grow (damn you, EpicSki!). 

 

It isn't practically feasible right now for many logistical and financial reasons. The cruel irony is that a lot of folks who do what I do really can and do live anywhere, independent of the places their work is generated.

 

I am always encouraged by stories like the OP though. This is one of the only sports that can truly change your life when you are no longer "young". It is something that I just tuck away in my mind as a plan Z (Plankton!!). 

 

(ok-- I have now referenced the Godfather and SpongeBob in consecutive posts. I AM having a midlife crisis!)

 

 

post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by keniski View Post


 



 



 

Oh I knew the devils would show up on my shoulder!!!

 

Ok I was hoping for it... That was a blatant phish for TC, Tromano, et al to chime in!  Alen, sorry about the temporary thread hijack. I have been thinking about starting a thread for those of us having midlife crises even though we really are too young to be considered midlife. This has been in the back of my mind since a summer trip to JH years ago but has been growing and growing with my renewed fervor for skiing, my appreciation for the mountains, and my growing dislike with the factors of Eastern major metropolitan life. I actually have been recently reviewing many of the threads about moving as my desire for a simpler structure of life has started to grow (damn you, EpicSki!). 

 

It isn't practically feasible right now for many logistical and financial reasons. The cruel irony is that a lot of folks who do what I do really can and do live anywhere, independent of the places their work is generated.

 

I am always encouraged by stories like the OP though. This is one of the only sports that can truly change your life when you are no longer "young". It is something that I just tuck away in my mind as a plan Z (Plankton!!). 

 

(ok-- I have now referenced the Godfather and SpongeBob in consecutive posts. I AM having a midlife crisis!)

 

 



There are some of us who prefer to think of it as a Mid Life Makeover.......just sayin' smile.gif

post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
There are some of us who prefer to think of it as a Mid Life Makeover.......just sayin' smile.gif

 

PETER:
You came here looking for a land of opportunity. And this is the knock 
of that opportunity. Tomorrow's your last day at Initech. You have two 
options unemployment or early retirement. What's it gonna be?

 

post #22 of 24

Tromano.......

I like pie too!

 

post #23 of 24

Alen:

 

Great to hear about someone finding out that it is never too late to grab some excitement in life.  My wife and I are both 60, and we ski and mountain bike every chance we get. Can't imagine how boring life would be without the regular thrills provided by both sports.

 

It was a little disturbing to hear that your wife's reaction to you buying a mountain bike was "disgust."  If she is concerned that you are not acting your age, she definitely needs an attitude adjustment.  It is sad when someone decides they are too old or (fill in the blank) to try new things.

 

If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, then once you stop learning new tricks you must be an old dog! wink.gif

post #24 of 24

I need to see that!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromano View Post

 

PETER:You came here looking for a land of opportunity. And this is the knock of that opportunity. Tomorrow's your last day at Initech. You have two options unemployment or early retirement. What's it gonna be?

 



 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beginner Zone
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Beginner Zone › Progress...and some thanks!