or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › K2 Hellbents, ugliest skis every made?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

K2 Hellbents, ugliest skis every made?

post #1 of 95
Thread Starter 

k2_hell_bent_powder_skis_mens_p5__1.jpg

post #2 of 95

EMBRACE THE CLOWN 

post #3 of 95

Eh I'd say they're top 5, they could totally go head to head with most Nordicas for that title though.

post #4 of 95

Eh.  Ugly's so subjective.  There are not a lot of skis out there whose graphics I really like that much, but as long as they ski well...

post #5 of 95

I hate the graphics on park and big mountain skis.  It makes them seem like cheap novelty items lacking quality (even though they are just fatter and sometimes rockered versions of narrower skis).

 

 

With that being said, I actually don't mind those.

 

 

It is what it is... will such skis ever have graphic that REALLY are 100% geared toward more of a conservative customer?  Who knows...  I mean, at some point the current "generation" who those skis are marketed toward will be getting a little older and perhaps growing out of such styles.

 

Some are genuinely just abstract art designs... some are outright juvenile/inappropriate.

 

 

(by the way I'm aware that a few big mountain/touring skis most certainly do not have any graphics.... but still they don't often just look like big versions of narrower all-mountain skis)

post #6 of 95

Not necess that bad. Irl they could be ok once it's chopped up with bindings and then boots and legs.

 

Frankly, I find some of the Icelantics to be among the most ugly.

I know, it's total blasphemy but I'm sticking to it. They go overboard in a different direction. I find them fairly painful.  I'd say they're like some of James Taylor's songs.

 

One of my favorites was that Komikaze ski. I would've bought it just to look down at it.  It had too square tips though. Was that Moment? It was pretty simple with a modified hammer and sickle on it.

-I checked, it was, but it's not that one now.

post #7 of 95

Juggalos need skis too.

post #8 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post

Juggalos need skis too.



What is a Juggalo?

 

 

roflmao.gif

post #9 of 95

Contrast those with these:

 

758-4883_head-jo-pro.jpg

post #10 of 95

Click for larger image

Dude! Was that a Juggalo?


Edited by Tog - 4/24/11 at 9:34pm
post #11 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

Frankly, I find some of the Icelantics to be among the most ugly.

I know, it's total blasphemy but I'm sticking to it. They go overboard in a different direction. I find them fairly painful.  I'd say they're like some of James Taylor's songs.

 

Oh, do I ever agree. I have wanted to support them as a local company, but I just can't do it. I cringe when thinking about having to look at them while on the lift. I'd ski those Hellbents in a second before Icelantics. They are creeeeepy. Hellbents and that ilk are just ugly.
 

 

post #12 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie-Rich View Post

Contrast those with these:

 

758-4883_head-jo-pro.jpg

I'd have a hell of time keeping my eyes on the road with those skis!
 

 

post #13 of 95

I don't like the Bull motif on the Blizzard Bonafide and other skis in that series. However, they are far better than the Line and K2 skis shown above!

Blizzard Bonafide

post #14 of 95

I just showed this thread to my 14-year-old son. He did not like the K2 and Line graphics. He commented about the Heads that "You don't ski those--you hang them on your wall!" He said the Bonafides were "Totally bad-ass! Buy them now!"

post #15 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2010 View Post

I just showed this thread to my 14-year-old son. He did not like the K2 and Line graphics. He commented about the Heads that "You don't ski those--you hang them on your wall!" He said the Bonafides were "Totally bad-ass! Buy them now!"



He's wrong......

 

post #16 of 95

Ugly yes, but I am digg'n the evil clown anyway -- it's cool.

post #17 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2010 View Post

I just showed this thread to my 14-year-old son. He did not like the K2 and Line graphics. He commented about the Heads that "You don't ski those--you hang them on your wall!" He said the Bonafides were "Totally bad-ass! Buy them now!"


I have gotten more comments on mine than any other ski I have owned since my Green Seths.

 

BTW the Blizzards are pretty bad ass, they a made a ski that charges and yet still floats and turns on a dime. They could have barney, ponies, guns on them, or nascar graphics and they would still ski pretty nice.

 

post #18 of 95

I'm down with the clown... not so much the one-eyed monster.

 

The Blizzards look cool (ok yeah really ridiculous but that's the way it is).  I would actually buy the Buschwackers next year if they didn't have a bunch of tail rocker. 

post #19 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post

I have gotten more comments on mine than any other ski I have owned since my Green Seths.

 



Are you sure they're not laughing AT you instead of with you  th_dunno-1[1].gif

 

post #20 of 95

Can't own them cuz they'd give my little boys nightmares. But at least not boring, like most race skis that look like skiing's version of political bumper stickers: "Let's see how many words and numbers we can cram in, with as many bright colors as possible..."

post #21 of 95

 

 

 

 

 

 Quote: segbrown

Oh, do I ever agree. I have wanted to support them as a local company, but I just can't do it. I cringe when thinking about having to look at them while on the lift. I'd ski those Hellbents in a second before Icelantics. They are creeeeepy. Hellbents and that ilk are just ugly
 

Quote:

 

 

Well now you can enjoy the creepiness of Icelantic graphics year round in your home.

I must say they've gotten a little better now. I still rather have the brash ugliness the other skis.

The Icelantics creep me out like I've been kidnapped and fed bad hallucinogenic pourridge in some damp underground hemp house.

 

 

Here's something you can wear. Icelantic Piano Sweater.

This would work on retro day.

Men_Sweater_Front.jpg
 

post #22 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredAtBMBW View Post

I'm down with the clown... not so much the one-eyed monster.

 

The Blizzards look cool (ok yeah really ridiculous but that's the way it is).  I would actually buy the Buschwackers next year if they didn't have a bunch of tail rocker. 

 

how does a bunch of tail rocker keep you from buying a ski? which BTW it doesnt have bunch at least compared to alot of other skis.  I think its better on hardpack than alot of skinny skis, I just need more lift so I can get some higher angles without booting out, as it stand now I have to A frame the inside leg to keep my boot from hitting the snow.

 

S_JD_101_12_9173.jpg

 

since rossi smash love seeing pictures of me. there is another one.

 

post #23 of 95
Quote:

The Icelantics creep me out like I've been kidnapped and fed bad hallucinogenic pourridge in some damp underground hemp house.


This may be the definitive one sentence description of bad topsheets. icon14.gif

 

And Bored, Bushwackers actually have pretty mild tails, do not ski like say a S7's tail. 

post #24 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post



 

how does a bunch of tail rocker keep you from buying a ski?



One of my complaints when skiing fast is wimpy tails... I also read reviews here that tail rocker lowers the effective running surface of a ski and makes it feel short, thus is more difficult to ride the tail on hardpack.  I don't know if the tail rocker increases the "phantom foot" phenomenon and increases risk of a backward fall compared to full camber.

 

But I also read your review and based on what you had to say maybe that does't apply and the ski is great on groomers.

 

Booting out could be a problem for me, as I generate alot of angulation at times (and currently on ski skis, all with some kind of binding lifter).

 

Then again I wouldn't be buying the Bushwacker for groomer skiing (it would be my "one ski" for vacations, etc), so maybe I could live with the tail rocker.

 

post #25 of 95

and there is yet another one with the trailing pole dragging in the snow.....nonono2.gif kind of an A-frame Outrigger turn....devil.gif just in fun, man, in fun...

post #26 of 95


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post


The Icelantics creep me out like I've been kidnapped and fed bad hallucinogenic pourridge in some damp underground hemp house.

 

Yes. "Evocative" is not always a good thing.

 

post #27 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

 


Here's something you can wear. Icelantic Piano Sweater.

This would work on retro day.

Men_Sweater_Front.jpg
 


Not retro enough ... my kids would wear that happily, thus I am prohibited. Must go back a few more years.

 

post #28 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

Here's something you can wear. Icelantic Piano Sweater.

This would work on retro day.

Men_Sweater_Front.jpg
 



Only if I were dead.......eek.gif

 

post #29 of 95

don't get it. now Icelantic is producing their stuff (soft goods) in China. Is something wrong here???  was behind the artist thing,  with the overblown top sheets, but now, I lose track of what they stand for.my skepticism is always redeemed.

post #30 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredAtBMBW View Post

I'm down with the clown... not so much the one-eyed monster.

 

The Blizzards look cool (ok yeah really ridiculous but that's the way it is).  I would actually buy the Buschwackers next year if they didn't have a bunch of tail rocker. 

The Flipcore skis actually have very minimal tail rocker (it is a very small rise compared to most other skis), that is why they feel like they have  a real tail, and a good amount of it.    Even the Bonafide carves like a champ.  Josh's photo shows that Bushwackers (the skis) carve even better, although I suspect that Bushwacker (Josh) can make a pair of 2x4's carve almost as well (even with pole dragging ;-))...
 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › K2 Hellbents, ugliest skis every made?