New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Top 5 Utah Ski Resorts - Page 2

post #31 of 44

You know the thing I dislike about Snowbird is that damn tram.  Its kind of like sitting in a traffic jam on the highway.

post #32 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogophers View Post

Snowbasin, Alta, Snowbird, PowMow, Soli, Brighton.

 

Deer Valley sucks (others will disagree, but when I see the snowcats mowing nearly everything down on a powder day, I just want to cry). Good food and nice bathrooms (and plenty of groomers).


I've never really gotten this issue. If it's even groom-able, it's not where I want to be on a powder day anyway.

 

post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ske-Bum View Post


 


This is an easy thing to figure out. It is who spends the most advertising dollars in their rag of a magazine. The more money spent, the higher the rating. 



 

The ranking actually says more about SKI's readers are than anything else - clearly NOT the ski fanatics who dominate the forums here.  When broken down by category, Deer Valley is at or near the top for grooming, food (on and off mountain), lodging, lifts, access, etc.  Combine that with Utah's great snow and some decent terrain, and you have the perfect destination for the annual family ski trip.

 

of the places i've been:

1. Alta/Snowbird - perfection?

2. Snowbasin - steep and deep and/or long and fun

3. Canyons/Solitude/Brighton - Canyons is very diverse, and each peak has it's own flavor - but 9990 is as good as anything i've skied in BCC

4. Deer Valley - some fun terrain, and almost always my once-a-year ski friends' first choice

5. PCMR - too average and too crowded, but Jupiter is clearly the exception on both counts

post #34 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tch View Post

Solitude is a nice small area.  I wrote a review recently.  Problem is that lifts are all very short, so max vertical is, like, 1,000'. 

 

 

Scratches head....

 

Solitude lifts vertical rise: 

 

Eagle Express  1358 ft

Summit 1,296 ft

Powderhorn 1,561 ft

 

Compare with Alta

 

Sugarloaf:  1,371 ft

Supreme:  1,078 ft

Collins:  1099 ft (stage 1)  + 741 ft (stage 2) =    1840 ft

 

 

post #35 of 44


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post



 

Scratches head....

 

Solitude lifts vertical rise: 

 

Eagle Express  1358 ft

Summit 1,296 ft

Powderhorn 1,561 ft

 

Compare with Alta

 

Sugarloaf:  1,371 ft

Supreme:  1,078 ft

Collins:  1099 ft (stage 1)  + 741 ft (stage 2) =    1840 ft

 

 


Snowbird

 

Tram 2900 vertical feet

P-dog  2400 vertical feet

Gadzoom 1800 vertical feet

 

Stowe

 

fourrunner - 2100 vertical feet

Gondola - 2100 vertical feet

 

(take that Alta)

 

post #36 of 44

According to Solitude website:

 

Lift Vertical Rise
Apex Express, 880 ft. (4 min)
Moonbeam Express, 670 ft. (4 min)
Eagle Express, 1,500 ft. (6 min)
Honeycomb Return, 860 ft. (4 min)
Summit, 1,235 ft. (10 min)
Sunrise, 810 ft. (8 min)
Powderhorn, 1,116 ft. (7 min)
Link, 160 ft. ( 5 min)

 

In addition to the rather paltry vertical, there's the matter of WHERE the lifts are placed, and how they relate to the overall terrain.  At Solitude, it always feels like you are arriving at the bottom of a lift before you've run out of terrain to ski. 

And, there is the matter of simple size:  Alta is 2,020 acres; Solitude 1200 (and that includes all of Honeycomb Canyon!).  Front side is significantly smaller.

post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post


 


Snowbird

 

Tram 2900 vertical feet

P-dog  2400 vertical feet

Gadzoom 1800 vertical feet

 

Stowe

 

fourrunner - 2100 vertical feet

Gondola - 2100 vertical feet

 

(take that Alta)

 

You are seriously comparing Stowe to Alta???

 

Here is what matters to me:

As of April 26, 2011

 

Alta 698"

Stowe 332"

 

Probably get more powder runs at Alta (and Snowbird) in one season than at Stowe in 20 years.

 

Alot of this vertical talk is bunk because half the runs are on groomers back to the lift. Give me a ski area with many different off-piste areas that hold powder after storms.
 

 

post #38 of 44


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbgarrett View Post



You are seriously comparing Stowe to Alta???

 

Here is what matters to me:

As of April 26, 2011

 

Alta 698"

Stowe 332"

 

Probably get more powder runs at Alta (and Snowbird) in one season than at Stowe in 20 years.

 

Alot of this vertical talk is bunk because half the runs are on groomers back to the lift. Give me a ski area with many different off-piste areas that hold powder after storms.
 

 

 

groomer runs eh? hoold powder after storm eh? sounds alot like stowe and not anything like alta. Beside the fact one run down stowe on anything not groomed is much harder than anything Atla. I skied untracked snow 75 percent of my 130 days at stowe this year some of deeper than ANYTHING I have ever skied in utah in my 500 some days there.

 

 

I had more untracked runs at stowe this year than any of my 3 years at Alta/bird. less competion and not many people can ski the places I can at stowe. I would place large sums of money including lift ticket that you wouldnt have a chance in hell of skiing powder at stowe though. Nor would ever try because noone is as specialized at powder skiing in woods as vermont skiers.

 

Let play a little game which one is it? Utah or VTah

 

207130_1977089670960_1354674216_32353889_4250060_n.jpg

 

217465_1974860735238_1354674216_32350808_879468_n.jpg

 

 


180192_10150098718563357_505253356_6137250_2576070_n.jpg180160_10150095510603357_505253356_6091964_7733954_n.jpg

 

67845_477362938356_505253356_5612956_6355162_n.jpg

 

its actually incomparable to me. Stowe is hands down better than alta except for one stat of total snowfall. spend a season at stowe and you will ski more powder snow than anywhere else in the country, it just wont be as deep.

 

BTW we have alot of groomers as well

 

 

Alta is for skiers.........who dont have a snowbird pass.

 

 

post #39 of 44

 Bwaahh I love these threads never been to stowe so i can't really say but east coast crack must be pretty damn good if you think that terrain can even compare to the divresity and steep and deepness of the Wasatch or the turd is the best terrain in the world.

Condition change often obviously a 100% open Deer Valley with 18 of fresh skis better than 32" @ the bird with only chickadee running or sitting in interlodge.

Nice lodges, shitters and amentities don't mean as much to me as good BC acess so Altas access to Sunset/Snake, Wolvie, Tuscar and surrounding goods trumps the birds crappy gates that are rarely open.

The top resort is the one you're at and enjoying on any given day that has the things that matter to you.

 

post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post

 Bwaahh I love these threads never been to stowe so i can't really say but east coast crack must be pretty damn good if you think that terrain can even compare to the divresity and steep and deepness of the Wasatch or the turd is the best terrain in the world.

Condition change often obviously a 100% open Deer Valley with 18 of fresh skis better than 32" @ the bird with only chickadee running or sitting in interlodge.

Nice lodges, shitters and amentities don't mean as much to me as good BC acess so Altas access to Sunset/Snake, Wolvie, Tuscar and surrounding goods trumps the birds crappy gates that are rarely open.

The top resort is the one you're at and enjoying on any given day that has the things that matter to you.

 


I totally agree with your last comment. It is pointless to argue about this on the internet. 

 

I've never been to Stowe, and BW's pics look great. But... I would be willing to bet if you asked 100 people who were familiar with both Stowe and LCC (specifically Alta), probably 95 would prefer Alta for terrain and snow quality. 

 

post #41 of 44

Been to both places numerous times.

 

They are both good.

post #42 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbgarrett View Post




I totally agree with your last comment. It is pointless to argue about this on the internet. 

 

I've never been to Stowe, and BW's pics look great. But... I would be willing to bet if you asked 100 people who were familiar with both Stowe and LCC (specifically Alta), probably 95 would prefer Alta for terrain and snow quality. 

 


 


Please do realize that BWPA is skiing OB on Mansfield at Stowe and probably knows the mountain like the back of his hand. At Alta, he might know the mountain just as much, but I don't think he's going OB to get those leftover tracks from storms and has to compete with the billion powderhounds there. So, IMO, it makes sense.

post #43 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post

Alta is for skiers.........who dont have a snowbird pass.

 

 



ROTF.gif

 

post #44 of 44

I have a trip to Utah in Febuary to visit some family in Provo.

The fam wants to go to sundance becuase it is nearby, what is it comparable to?

Is it like a slice of the bird or alta? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion