I'm interested in getting some feedback about possibly purchasing my 1st pair of skis. I've skied a few seasons and love skiing, so I've decided to invest in some gear. I purchased my boots (Nordica Speedmachine 100W) and got them fitted at a bootfitter (thank you EpicSki community for the tips/advice!) and can't wait to use them next season.
Now, I'm torn to whether I should purchase skis for next season (most likely used/demoed/etc) or rent for another season next year. This year, I was skiing on Elan "Hot Spice" (152cm 114/70/100 12.2) and I was pretty happy with them. They were a very easy, responsive ski for me. I'm 5'7" 145lb female and am an advanced beginner - intermediate skiier. I ski on the East Coast, mainly groomed runs (greens and blues) and not a super "aggressive skiier". I ski for the pleasure, but I do want to improve and challenge myself occassionally. So my questions are:
1. Would an all-mountain ski be the best choice?
2. Length - is 152 cm good or should I go longer? They come up roughly to my chin, wondering if I should be aiming for longer? Perhaps nose? Pros/cons?
3. Stiffness and width?
4. Or should I rent next season and go to the bigger mountains for demo days and look to purchase at the end of the season in 2012.
5. How much should I realistically expect to spend on the skis?
6. Anything I'm missing? Am I focusing on certain things that are not really important and should be looking/asking different questions?
I have mainly snowboarder friends, so not too many skiiers to ask for help with this, just my own research. Any advice/experience/tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated! I'm still getting the hang of searching this site - there's so much information! :)