EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Should I Stay or Should I Go? [Stowe]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should I Stay or Should I Go? [Stowe]

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

I have been skiing in the Stowe area since Tuesday, been great fun.  I was going to leave tomorrow [Thursday evening] after 3 days of skiing.  I see there is a fairly big storm on the way Thursday night into Saturday.  I figure to just leave as scheduled and try to beat the storm out.  The other option is to stay although I don't want to be stuck here until Sunday.  If the skiing is epic it may be worth it, albeit expensive.  I have a hunch that although lots of snow will be falling Friday and Saturday, it'll be tough skiing because of high winds and visibility issues.  What would you do?  Leave as planned or stay and try to ski in the storm?

 

I should note that I live in Maryland, so my return journey is a fairly hefty 9 hour trek.

 

Danny

post #2 of 9

Depends on what kind of skiing you like also.

 

The word is this is going to be heavy wet snow. So if Stowe gets half a foot or more, it could potentially be skiing wet cements. Some can't handle it, others dance on it.

 

But forecast have a way of being slightly off. So it could turn out to be 3-4" of moderately dry snow, which will be great fun to ski, by just about anyone!

 

In any case, the storm is supposed to end by Saturday anyway. So you have the option of skiing Friday through the storm and hit the road on Saturday.

 

Another option is relocate to southern Vermont, like Mt. Snow, Stratton or Magic. They'll get as much, if not more, (albeit heavier) snow as the northern resorts. That should net you the powder/chowder, and shorten your drive home by a couple hours. More over, Magic is running a $25 lift ticket all weekend. So it'll be a lot less expensive than Stowe too.

post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 

Those are some good thoughts, thanks.  I didn't realize it was supposed to be wet snow, that probably wouldn't end up being super appealing to me.  Looks like the snow won't get heavy till late Thursday night, so I might just try to get south as early as I can and hopefully it'll just be rain from New Haven the rest of the way south.  If I leave Stowe at 3pm I should be able to get to the NYC area by 9 where it'll likely be rain not snow.

post #4 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zurbriggen Fan View Post

 I didn't realize it was supposed to be wet snow, that probably wouldn't end up being super appealing to me.  

Well, that's what they say. But you know forecast isn't an exact science. If it were me, I'd stay or plan to ski in southern Vermont on Friday. If the snow turn out to be wet cement, you still have all of Saturday and Sunday to drive home on dry road. Or ski Saturday if the condition is good.

 

The storm will be gone by Saturday. And the road will be dry by Sunday.

post #5 of 9

Personally, when the mountain is skiing this well, and there is a big storm coming, I think you'd be nuts to leave. Ski Friday during the storm (that's when the snow will be best) and head home Saturday. You won't have to go very far south to find decent roads and put the hammer down.

post #6 of 9

It's already raining down in lower New York. I wouldn't be surprised it's already snowing on the Thruway soon. You may be better off to stay put and enjoy the snow tomorrow rather than trying to drive through it today.

post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post

Personally, when the mountain is skiing this well, and there is a big storm coming, I think you'd be nuts to leave. Ski Friday during the storm (that's when the snow will be best) and head home Saturday. You won't have to go very far south to find decent roads and put the hammer down.

What he said ^^^^^
 

 

post #8 of 9


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by at_nyc View Post

Depends on what kind of skiing you like also.

 

The word is this is going to be heavy wet snow. So if Stowe gets half a foot or more, it could potentially be skiing wet cements. Some can't handle it, others dance on it.

 

But forecast have a way of being slightly off. So it could turn out to be 3-4" of moderately dry snow, which will be great fun to ski, by just about anyone!

 

In any case, the storm is supposed to end by Saturday anyway. So you have the option of skiing Friday through the storm and hit the road on Saturday.

 

Another option is relocate to southern Vermont, like Mt. Snow, Stratton or Magic. They'll get as much, if not more, (albeit heavier) snow as the northern resorts. That should net you the powder/chowder, and shorten your drive home by a couple hours. More over, Magic is running a $25 lift ticket all weekend. So it'll be a lot less expensive than Stowe too.



you have no idea what you are talking about snow fall. If stowe gets more than 6 inches quite often that means we had colder temps and the snow fell light. In fact most of the time the frozen precip at stowe has about 2 percent more water content than Alta, utah. Stowe's snow on average is lighter than California snow.

 

http://bestsnow.net/snoqlnet.htm

 

Also the storm ended up falling pretty light because well we dont really get that much heavy moisture snow when it starts to fall.

post #9 of 9

Your post would have been a lot more useful last week. ;-)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Should I Stay or Should I Go? [Stowe]