New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Two ways of ripping - Page 2

post #31 of 39


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud heishman View Post

Interesting thread nolo.

 

I am currently helping a company that wants to be the title sponsor for a skiing competition series here in Tahoe area where the winner will receive, among other things, a free Heli trip for two to Valdeez sp? AK.

 

I am charged with helping to create the criteria for what kind of competition we will have.  There will be three qualifiers at different resorts followed by a final to determine the winner.

 

My thinking is to make this competition more about technically good skiing in the steeps rather than the current trends in free skiing comps.   The criteria, for which I am open to everyone's thoughts, will be judged on speed, technically sound skiing, rythme, fluidity, line.  So functional air is fine and scored highly if the competitor can keep it within a good flow and rythme of his/her run, but will be scored down if it involves stopping and billy goating before the jump.  My goal is to attract instructor types and racers who have strong technical skills and can apply them in a ripping fashion.  I have been talking with Dan Egan who is sharing his thoughts and ideas.  Hopefully we can employ some celebrity judges such as Dan, Wayne Wong, Glenn Plake perhaps to give the whole thing some cred.

 

I remember watching an extreme tour comp at Snowbird years ago while we were doing an ESA camp there and was pretty amazed at the lack of technical skiing ability and that most competitors simply traversed from one drop or jump to another and actually skied quite poorly.  

 

reading this thread as it develops will be very helpful in shaping this competition perhaps?


Maybe try something like three runs:  Steeps/natural terrain, bumps, and groomed.  That should show who's got the skills. 

 

post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud heishman View Post

Interesting thread nolo.

 

I am currently helping a company that wants to be the title sponsor for a skiing competition series here in Tahoe area where the winner will receive, among other things, a free Heli trip for two to Valdeez sp? AK.

 

I am charged with helping to create the criteria for what kind of competition we will have.  There will be three qualifiers at different resorts followed by a final to determine the winner.

 

My thinking is to make this competition more about technically good skiing in the steeps rather than the current trends in free skiing comps.   The criteria, for which I am open to everyone's thoughts, will be judged on speed, technically sound skiing, rythme, fluidity, line.  So functional air is fine and scored highly if the competitor can keep it within a good flow and rythme of his/her run, but will be scored down if it involves stopping and billy goating before the jump.  My goal is to attract instructor types and racers who have strong technical skills and can apply them in a ripping fashion.  I have been talking with Dan Egan who is sharing his thoughts and ideas.  Hopefully we can employ some celebrity judges such as Dan, Wayne Wong, Glenn Plake perhaps to give the whole thing some cred.

 

I remember watching an extreme tour comp at Snowbird years ago while we were doing an ESA camp there and was pretty amazed at the lack of technical skiing ability and that most competitors simply traversed from one drop or jump to another and actually skied quite poorly.  

 

reading this thread as it develops will be very helpful in shaping this competition perhaps?

 

I think that would be very cool.  I would watch that.
 

 

post #33 of 39



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaobrien6 View Post



 

I think that would be very cool.  I would watch that.
 

 



I would watch that over any currently televised skiing comp.

 

post #34 of 39

In the immortal words of Mr. Spock in the original Startrek series-

 

"It's easier for a civilized man to act uncivilized, than for an uncivilized man to act civilized."

post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by vail snopro View Post

In the immortal words of Mr. Spock in the original Startrek series-

 

"It's easier for a civilized man to act uncivilized, than for an uncivilized man to act civilized."


Eh.....? Can you connect some dots for me here?

.ma
post #36 of 39
I too like Bud's idea for that competition. Measure skills in both areas of 'ripping'. Some contestants will excel in one area, some the other. Would be a bit like Combined Events in Ski Racing. Winners would be people able to show the highest combined set of skills.

I would watch it too. Certainly something to promote rather than simply throwing one's self off cliffs and athletically recovering a number of times.

.ma
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelA View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by vail snopro View Post

In the immortal words of Mr. Spock in the original Startrek series-

 

"It's easier for a civilized man to act uncivilized, than for an uncivilized man to act civilized."




Eh.....? Can you connect some dots for me here?

.ma


Might be:  "It is easier for a carver to skid, than it is for a skidder to carve" th_dunno-1[1].gif

 

JF

 

post #38 of 39

I got out about 30 days this season after a multi decade layoff.

 

I started out a little shaky in the blacks and ended up very strong in most everything except the bumps, but they're coming back.

 

I cant narrow down what I like to do.  I might futz about on some runs carving.  Go throw myself at the bumps for a few runs.  Go to the double diamonds for a few runs, then go back to a carving run.

 

There really isn't "one" way for my enjoyment it depends on my mood and conditions.

 

One day I got to the hill and it was hard pack/Ice.  I spent the day screaming at top speed.   Fun as hell.

 

Another day The bunps were like giant marsh mallows.  Spent about 3 hours working on those skills.  A gas!

 

One day I got to the hill and found more than a foot of fresh powder.  Beautiful.

 

I think being a good skier means there is never a bad day on the slopes.  Ski all conditions, any level of run, with complete confidence and total enjoyment.  That's an expert skier.  Carve where you should, smear when you should.  Go fast.  have fun.  Let the instructors worry about proper form and who's doing what where and how.  As for me.  Let me get 20,000 vertical feet in on a day and I'll be psyched! 

post #39 of 39
Thread Starter 

 

 

Quote:
I think being a good skier means there is never a bad day on the slopes.  Ski all conditions, any level of run, with complete confidence and total enjoyment.  That's an expert skier.  Carve where you should, smear when you should.  Go fast.  have fun.  Let the instructors worry about proper form and who's doing what where and how.  As for me.  Let me get 20,000 vertical feet in on a day and I'll be psyched! 

If you ski all conditions and terrain with complete confidence and total enjoyment then you definitely have mastered the sport and don't need anyone sitting in judgment to tell you so.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Instruction & Coaching