EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › April 8-12.....where in the West to go???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

April 8-12.....where in the West to go???

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

Might just be able to take my youngest daughter with me for a quickie three day ski trip from the NYC area.  Flights to RNO, DEN and SLC are pretty inexpensive for that time period.  I already went to SLC in January so I am leaning towards the others.  RNO is a bit longer obviously and there would be one stop (DEN is nonstop).  I also threw Aspen/Snowmass in the mix but not sure about them for our dates.  I think this is toward the end of their season so not sure how good it could be.

 

I know no one has a crystal ball for what weather conditions will be but based on current snowfall totals I would think Lake Tahoe would be a safer bet for better snow.  Would most of you concur?

 

I know Squaw will be open but not sure about the others....Northstar, Alpine, Heavenly?  I would love to try Mammoth but too far a drive for this short trip.

 

Any other suggestions??

 

Thanks.


Edited by gores95 - 3/17/11 at 8:12am
post #2 of 17

Everyone has a good base right now.  Guessing what surface conditions will be in three weeks is a crap shoot. For a short trip, I'd look at ease of travel, cost and ambiance?

post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post

Everyone has a good base right now.  Guessing what surface conditions will be in three weeks is a crap shoot. For a short trip, I'd look at ease of travel, cost and ambiance?


Thanks for the reply.  For ease of travel DEN has it....direct and quicker flight.  I just think Lake Tahoe has had a much better winter and has better chances for good conditions in early/mid April.  Decisions, decisions!

 

post #4 of 17

Better season, I don't think so?  Tahoe may be having better conditions right now, but it sucked for six weeks? Colorado's had  pretty good conditions from the start. 

 

If your basing your decision on who had the best season, you'd be going to Jackson.  But I don't think that would really be a good option for you on 4/8?

 

I'm going to Aspen next Friday and then again for closing weekend 4/24.  I'm planning on conditions being good, but it's really more a factor of weather at this point.  I know they'll have snow.

 

I like spring skiing in Tahoe and it would probably be a great trip. But nobody knows what conditions will be like 3-4 weeks out. 

 

If you really want the best conditions, watch the weather and wait to book until 4/6.

 

 

post #5 of 17

Colorado has been having a great year with close to record snowfall.  The higher elevations mean better chance of mid-winter conditions.   And all the resorts are still 100% open.  I've had great skking in Colorado in April.

post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 

Thanks guys.  Duing Easter 2007 we were in Breckenridge for four nights and had mid-winter conditions most of the time.  I would LOVE to wait last minute...the only thing stopping me would be $800 plane tickets!!!

post #7 of 17

What are your gateway options, exact dates and approximate budget?  I don't think you will pay much of a preminum to book last minute and you might pay less?

post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post

What are your gateway options, exact dates and approximate budget?  I don't think you will pay much of a preminum to book last minute and you might pay less?


Leaning towards 4/8-12.  NYC airports work best....EWR, LGA or JFK.  Budget varies but I would like to pay under $400 per plane ticket.  Hopefully a lot less!  Thanks.

 

post #9 of 17

With the amount of snow in Tahoe with now..it is a viable option. Both Squaw and A-Meadows have committed to being open later than your expected trip, I am sure others will follow. 

post #10 of 17

I picked up a ticket from Southwest Direct flight from Hartford to Denver 230.00 roundtrip about a week ago for a trip this coming week. From Denver it's an 8 hour drive to Jackson or Alta, it's a bit of a haul but do able if your looking for a decent home base area. I have buddies in Denver that'll drive out on those trips when the conditions are good. It'll at least give you the most options.

post #11 of 17


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

With the amount of snow in Tahoe with now..it is a viable option.


 Absolutely.  I never meant to imply that it wasn't a good option.  I just had problem with the premise that good conditions now,  mean good conditions in three weeks.

Condition can change fast in the spring and about the worst thing that can happen is very warm weather followed by a dry cold front.

 

Large ski tour companies book blocks of airline tickets before the season even starts.  If you book last minute from one of these or the resort association of your choice, you will likely pay the same exact amount or even less, than someone who books through them in advance.

 

http://www.ski.com/specials/special_deals-search.aspx

 

I would really start looking about a week in advance.  Thats when the local weather forecast really start to become accurate. 

Keep this thread alive and we will help you find a great trip.  What type of terrain do you and your daughter prefer?

 

 

 

 

post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post


 


 Absolutely.  I never meant to imply that it wasn't a good option.  I just had problem with the premise that good conditions now,  mean good conditions in three weeks.

Condition can change fast in the spring and about the worst thing that can happen is very warm weather followed by a dry cold front.

 

Large ski tour companies book blocks of airline tickets before the season even starts.  If you book last minute from one of these or the resort association of your choice, you will likely pay the same exact amount or even less, than someone who books through them in advance.

 

http://www.ski.com/specials/special_deals-search.aspx

 

I would really start looking about a week in advance.  Thats when the local weather forecast really start to become accurate. 

Keep this thread alive and we will help you find a great trip.  What type of terrain do you and your daughter prefer?

 

 

 

 


Thanks Shred and others who responded!  The crazy thing is three days ago I could get a nonstop LGA-DEN for $279 all-in on Frontier.  They went up $50+ a ticket in the last couple of days.  Why?  Who the h-ll knows!  I saw a JFK-RNO on Delta last week for $247 all-in.  Same flight is now around $400.  Tough think about airfare is its all over the place with no rhyme or reason and once you book you are pretty much stuck.  Jackson is just a bit too far of a drive from DEN.  I would just fly right into Jackson if I was doing that.  Plus JH might be too much of a challenge for my daughter.

 

Anyway as this is my youngest daughter so we will probably be on the groomed blues with an occasional black thrown in.  She does like bumps though.  She has already skied Squaw, Heavenly and Homewood in Tahoe and Vail, BC and Breck in CO.  Lucky freakin' 8 year old actually!!!! ;)

 

Shred I will bookmark that link you sent me and play around.  I will take your advice and wait for now.  What do you think of Aspen/Snowmass at this time period?  I thought I remember Tony Crocker saying somewhere that the altitudes were a bit lower there so April gets slushy quicker.  Never been to any of the Aspen resorts so that could be fun!

 

Again the fear I have in waiting is on the airfare only...I know I can get some great deals with the lodging.  Thanks.
 

 


Edited by gores95 - 3/21/11 at 8:46am
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane View Post

I picked up a ticket from Southwest Direct flight from Hartford to Denver 230.00 roundtrip about a week ago for a trip this coming week. From Denver it's an 8 hour drive to Jackson or Alta, it's a bit of a haul but do able if your looking for a decent home base area. I have buddies in Denver that'll drive out on those trips when the conditions are good. It'll at least give you the most options.


That's a very optimistic time estimate. More like 10 hours to either. In good weather.

Mike
post #14 of 17


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gores95 View Post


  What do you think of Aspen/Snowmass at this time period?  I thought I remember Tony Crocker saying somewhere that the altitudes were a bit lower there so April gets slushy quicker.  Never been to any of the Aspen resorts so that could be fun!

 

Again the fear I have in waiting is on the airfare only...I know I can get some great deals with the lodging.  Thanks.
 

 


I can't get Tony's links to work, but Aspen is one of the better spring resorts.  Base is 8,000 and  both Highlands and Snowmass go over 12,000, all have a very northerly exposure.

I think it will be good, but I would wait.  We've been having some very warm temps, but a lot of snow is in the forecast.

 

 

The bulk fares that tour companies have might not be the lowest fare you've seen, but they will be competitive.

 

 

 

post #15 of 17

I love Snowbird out in Utah, highly recommended.


 

post #16 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnes View Post

I love Snowbird out in Utah, highly recommended.


 


My fave in UT is Alta but I was just there in January 2011 and wanted to take her someplace different.  I actually just found a good airfare of $259 all-in per person for JFK-DEN.  I might grab it!
 

 

post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 

Just an update to this thread...I found flights to Mammoth and decided on that.  With all the snow they have been getting recently how can it possibly be bad the second week of April.  They will probably have snow on the ground until August!!!!!!  First time to Mammoth so definitely very excited.  Thanks to all for your help.

 

Think we will stay at the Westin in Mammoth and use Starwood points!!!  wink.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › April 8-12.....where in the West to go???