The rumors are true! We are finally getting a new lift on Mansfield. For some time, I've called the Fourrunner the best and worst lift in the Northeast. After this, it should simply be the best. From what I hear it will still be a quad (thank goodness, I was really not wanting to see a 6-pack go in), but will be able to move more people due to closer spacing of the chairs. With a little luck maybe it will be less prone to windhold, ad above all, it won't break all the time.
- itemStowetagged by System, 7/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- Bomberskiclinic stowe / Alta lodge powder tracks Last post on Yesterday at 10:23 am in General Skiing Discussion
- Sugarbush--Any insider insight/Anything I should know--Also Stowe v Sugarbush--what are key... Last post on 8/1/16 at 5:18am in General Skiing Discussion
- Stowe or Sugarbush Last post on 2/22/16 at 6:14pm in General Skiing Discussion
- How to ski Paradise and Goat Last post on 2/24/16 at 8:42am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Stowe - Instructor recommendations needed [for MLK weekend - A Family Skiing thread] Last post on 1/12/16 at 5:50am in Family Skiing Discussions
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- Unofficial Guide to STOWELast edited: 6/20/16
- Top 5 Fridays - FIS Drone Ban, Discovery News, Crested Butte,...Last edited: 1/8/16
- Great Glades Almighty!Last edited: 5/28/13
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Great news for Stowe - Fourrunner to be replaced this summer!!!post #1 of 103/16/11 at 9:51amThread Starterpost #2 of 103/16/11 at 10:06ampost #3 of 103/16/11 at 10:06am
When I read the above, I assumed that Stowe was going to replace one of the the old slow lifts, but, looking at the interactive map, it appears that the Forerunner is the existing high speed lift. As you live there, you know the defects of the existing much better than I, but, I'm a little surprised.
Anyway, I hope to be in Stowe again next year, so, maybe can give me another first hand guided tour of the new lift.
Thanks again for last week's tour. Say Hi to Pete next time you are in Chapel Glade.post #4 of 103/16/11 at 10:08am
It's the HSQ that replaced the old single/double from way-back-when. It services the "Front Four" runs, and is an older HSQ. Replacing it with a newer HSQ or a 6-pack (frankly, the former is more suitable to the mountain layout) should fix myriad issues with reliability.post #5 of 103/16/11 at 10:12amThread Starter
Fourrunner is the Quad. I may be wrong, but I think it is the oldest HSQ in North America. Installed in 1986 IIRC. I'm actually glad to have the Lookout remaining as a double for two reasons. Number one, the trail Lookout would have to be widened to fit a Quad. Number two, the fixed-grip chair runs more reliably in icing conditions (I think the new HSQ may have a shed to protect chairs during ice storms which will help), and number three, I don't want too many more people on the trails at the same time.post #6 of 103/16/11 at 10:13amThread Starterpost #7 of 103/16/11 at 10:22am
Any word as to how many more chairs they'll be able to pack onto the Forerunner's replacement?
I'm glad they didn't put a six-pack in... the closer-spacing of the chairs on the new lift will already add enough extra people onto the slopes.post #8 of 103/16/11 at 10:31ampost #9 of 103/16/11 at 12:25pmThread StarterQuote:
From what I heard the Forerunner moves 1800 people per hour and the new lift will be able to do about 2400. I'm not sure how many chairs that is. I think there are 87 now.
As for the fate of the current lift, there is talk of putting it where the Toll House Double is now. On the other hand, there is so little traffic over there, I am not sure they'd want to spend the extra money to operate a HSQ over there.post #10 of 103/17/11 at 6:22pmThread Starter
More info from the Stowe Reporter today. The lift will include a shed allowing all chairs to come off at night and they will be able to keep the rope moving slowly all night to prevent icing on the sheaves and rope. Sweet.
- Great news for Stowe - Fourrunner to be replaced this summer!!!
- Unofficial Guide to STOWE
- › Basic entry level poles? 11 seconds ago
- › The Sugarloaf (MI) saga continues 7 minutes ago
- › Arc'teryx Theta SVX shell, Large, Carbon Copy color 28 minutes ago
- › Beginner boots rent vs buying + ski/walk mode 29 minutes ago
- › Advice on building a quiver [for Scotland and Europe] 39 minutes ago
- › The VIBE at Baldface Lodge 41 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 44 minutes ago
- › Skiers Edge is defintely not strength training! 45 minutes ago
- › 2017 CRV with 1.5l turbo? 52 minutes ago
- › 2016 / 17 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke 57 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer