The rumors are true! We are finally getting a new lift on Mansfield. For some time, I've called the Fourrunner the best and worst lift in the Northeast. After this, it should simply be the best. From what I hear it will still be a quad (thank goodness, I was really not wanting to see a 6-pack go in), but will be able to move more people due to closer spacing of the chairs. With a little luck maybe it will be less prone to windhold, ad above all, it won't break all the time.
- itemStowetagged by System, 7/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- STOWE MOUNTAIN RESORT TO JOIN THE VAIL RESORTS FAMILY Last post on 3/8/17 at 2:59pm in Skiing News
- Can Stowe in Vermont Attract The Skiing Jet Set? Last post on 1/29/17 at 9:34pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Looking to go to Stowe this year, where are the discounted lift tickets??? Last post on 1/24/17 at 11:26am in General Skiing Discussion
- Bomberskiclinic stowe / Alta lodge powder tracks Last post on 10/25/16 at 10:23am in General Skiing Discussion
- 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . Last post on 3/22/17 at 9:22pm in General Skiing Discussion
A Brief History of Alpine Skiing
Last edited: 2/13/17
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass OptionsLast edited: 10/24/16
- Unofficial Guide to STOWELast edited: 12/1/16
- Top 5 Fridays - FIS Drone Ban, Discovery News, Crested Butte,...Last edited: 1/8/16
- Great Glades Almighty!Last edited: 5/28/13
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
This is the most incredibly over-the-top country-club-like resort we've been and we've skied all over USA. It's so cool I took pictures of the bathrooms! Beautifully done. Three gondolas keep...
I went to Maverick the day after a day at Big Sky and what a dramatic difference. As opposed to Big Sky's massive area (which seemed to me to ski much smaller than its size), hard skier packed...
Great news for Stowe - Fourrunner to be replaced this summer!!!post #1 of 103/16/11 at 9:51amThread Starterpost #2 of 103/16/11 at 10:06ampost #3 of 103/16/11 at 10:06am
When I read the above, I assumed that Stowe was going to replace one of the the old slow lifts, but, looking at the interactive map, it appears that the Forerunner is the existing high speed lift. As you live there, you know the defects of the existing much better than I, but, I'm a little surprised.
Anyway, I hope to be in Stowe again next year, so, maybe can give me another first hand guided tour of the new lift.
Thanks again for last week's tour. Say Hi to Pete next time you are in Chapel Glade.post #4 of 103/16/11 at 10:08am
It's the HSQ that replaced the old single/double from way-back-when. It services the "Front Four" runs, and is an older HSQ. Replacing it with a newer HSQ or a 6-pack (frankly, the former is more suitable to the mountain layout) should fix myriad issues with reliability.post #5 of 103/16/11 at 10:12amThread Starter
Fourrunner is the Quad. I may be wrong, but I think it is the oldest HSQ in North America. Installed in 1986 IIRC. I'm actually glad to have the Lookout remaining as a double for two reasons. Number one, the trail Lookout would have to be widened to fit a Quad. Number two, the fixed-grip chair runs more reliably in icing conditions (I think the new HSQ may have a shed to protect chairs during ice storms which will help), and number three, I don't want too many more people on the trails at the same time.post #6 of 103/16/11 at 10:13amThread Starterpost #7 of 103/16/11 at 10:22am
Any word as to how many more chairs they'll be able to pack onto the Forerunner's replacement?
I'm glad they didn't put a six-pack in... the closer-spacing of the chairs on the new lift will already add enough extra people onto the slopes.post #8 of 103/16/11 at 10:31ampost #9 of 103/16/11 at 12:25pmThread StarterQuote:
From what I heard the Forerunner moves 1800 people per hour and the new lift will be able to do about 2400. I'm not sure how many chairs that is. I think there are 87 now.
As for the fate of the current lift, there is talk of putting it where the Toll House Double is now. On the other hand, there is so little traffic over there, I am not sure they'd want to spend the extra money to operate a HSQ over there.post #10 of 103/17/11 at 6:22pmThread Starter
More info from the Stowe Reporter today. The lift will include a shed allowing all chairs to come off at night and they will be able to keep the rope moving slowly all night to prevent icing on the sheaves and rope. Sweet.
- Great news for Stowe - Fourrunner to be replaced this summer!!!
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Bad idea to practice on 27m skis before a 30m race? 22 minutes ago
- › Quadriceps Tendon Rupture, Repair and Rehab 28 minutes ago
- › Big Bear 2016-2017 28 minutes ago
- › Aspen end of March?? 35 minutes ago
- › When Couldn't You Keep Up? [- a Family Skiing topic] 1 hour ago
- › Bump turn on flats 1 hour ago
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 1 hour, 2 minutes ago
- › Side/base angles: please explain, thanks 1 hour, 29 minutes ago
- › Before and after 1 hour, 39 minutes ago
- › Kirkwood lodging options? 2 hours ago
- › Big Sky by oldgoat
- › Kneebinding Knee Friendly Binding by barunrm
- › Snowbird by MBrady
- › Snowbasin by MBrady
- › Maverick Mountain by Roadrash
- › Lutsen Mountains by comfortstarr
- › Tremblant by jzmtl
- › Panorama Mountain Village by Pacobillie
- › 1988 Salomon SX91 Equipe by vieuxcrouton
- › Mt. Baker by jhkc
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview