or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Favorite Spring Wax? - Page 3

post #61 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post
 

If you can afford it the Swix HVC is the ultimate. You can practically ski uphill on that stuff.

Sounds great.

It's like buying equipment though. $165 for 50ml which does from 5-15 pairs of skis.

How long does it last for rec skiing? 1/2 day?


Remember the Felix process where he took Zardoz Notwax and put a hardwax on top, so the Zardoz would 'ooze out'?    You could always trythat with HVC I suppose.

post #62 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post
 


Remember the Felix process where he took Zardoz Notwax and put a hardwax on top, so the Zardoz would 'ooze out'?    You could always trythat with HVC I suppose.

 

Maybe. I always wonder how you can really put a hard wax on top of a softer one. It seems like they would have to end up mixing into one intermediate wax. I'm no wax scientist though.

post #63 of 80

The pathetic attempts people make to get a tiny extra bit a glide by adding more ridiculous chemicals in to the snow really kind of disgust me.

post #64 of 80
I do wax, and also agree that the proper structure is important. However, on my race skis I'm sticking with (hopefully pun not applicable) the standard structure that works well for typical conditions during night league season. I'm sure it's too fine for heavy, wet conditions. Same for my fun skis- I'd rather have the appropriate structure for the bulk of conditions I will ski.

I wax regularly, so any glide liquid / overlay is always over wax and only for timed runs; or just for grins to see what's fast. I don't really care if it is inconvenient or doesn't last long. The NotWax really did make a difference in wet, warm conditions, so that's the baseline if I get a chance to try Pledge.

Probably this is typical for the east, but once the wet snow or corn is scraped thin, the icy under-layer can be really abrasive. For example, my kid took a spill on his snowboard on this type of surface and his arm looked like he had run it across a cheese grater. If conditions seem like they would be rough on bases, I minimally brush to leave more wax on the base. Yeah, I'm sure it slows me down but keep in mind this is just for fun skiing. Also, I tend to get in a lot of 'laps' and by the end of an 'abrasive' day my bases look like I didn't wax.

Questions: For the above mentioned 'abrasive' condition, will one have better protection for the bases via using a colder, hard wax for this, or try the 'Glacier' or moly-type waxes? I prefer to keep the cost reasonable (LF-type cost or better).

Since our typical race season requires nothing warmer than around an LF7 or 8, I avoid the high dollar HF stuff so I can have more dinero for clinics &/or coaching early next season. I'm nowhere near the level that an HF will make a bigger difference than coaching; especially for the typical temperatures we experience. Though I definitely wouldn't spend the bucks on HF for general fun skiing and if given a free block of it would save it for racing, I like to read the feedback about it. Thus my interest in what others have to say about their favorite spring waxes... Thanks!
post #65 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecimmortal View Post
 

The pathetic attempts people make to get a tiny extra bit a glide by adding more ridiculous chemicals in to the snow really kind of disgust me.

I think we're talking about conditions where your skis catch and release repeatedly, which can be exhausting. At least that's what I'm thinking of, not just a little extra speed. Common in California in April, and June-uary . Don't know about where you ski (east coast? oregon?) BTW the best corn we had in Tahoe this season was back in February. There was a lot of stuff that opened for the first time in corn conditions, so there were no ruts or bumps--just smooth and soft as a baby's bottom. I didn't get many first tracks in pow this year but quite a few in corn. And if if it's true corn you don't leave tracks.

post #66 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
 

I think we're talking about conditions where your skis catch and release repeatedly, which can be exhausting. At least that's what I'm thinking of, not just a little extra speed. Common in California in April, and June-uary . Don't know about where you ski (east coast? oregon?) BTW the best corn we had in Tahoe this season was back in February. There was a lot of stuff that opened for the first time in corn conditions, so there were no ruts or bumps--just smooth and soft as a baby's bottom. I didn't get many first tracks in pow this year but quite a few in corn. And if if it's true corn you don't leave tracks.

 

This^^^  Spring wax's primary function is to minimize the hazard of sudden deceleration and possible injury.  The general speed/glide thing is secondary.  If that's the only reason your using spring wax, look for something steeper.

post #67 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
 

I think we're talking about conditions where your skis catch and release repeatedly, which can be exhausting. At least that's what I'm thinking of, not just a little extra speed. Common in California in April, and June-uary . Don't know about where you ski (east coast? oregon?) BTW the best corn we had in Tahoe this season was back in February. There was a lot of stuff that opened for the first time in corn conditions, so there were no ruts or bumps--just smooth and soft as a baby's bottom. I didn't get many first tracks in pow this year but quite a few in corn. And if if it's true corn you don't leave tracks.


I'm aware of the conditions you are talking about. I am able to ski all summer should I decide to. I often ski in the 40's during winter as well. It's exhausting. But not so much that I would spray stuff like WD-40 on my ski's and transfer it to the snowpack that feeds my water supply.

post #68 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecimmortal View Post
 


I'm aware of the conditions you are talking about. I am able to ski all summer should I decide to. I often ski in the 40's during winter as well. It's exhausting. But not so much that I would spray stuff like WD-40 on my ski's and transfer it to the snowpack that feeds my water supply.

Nothing but wax goes on the bottom of my skis -- and only wax from free range, organic, kosher bees that I have personally raised and individually named and who have access only to non-GMO flowers.

post #69 of 80
I love it great post
post #70 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by levy1 View Post

I love it great post

Credit Garrison Keillor, who told a story about Thanksgiving with a free range, organic, Kosher turkey. I don't just recycle pop cans, I recycle jokes.

post #71 of 80

Great job Pops! Keep it up. 

post #72 of 80

Well if you like turkey stories you should listen to this one from This American Life.

An attack turkey on Martha's Vineyard.

 

"Murder Most Fowl": starts about 12:50 but this link should go to that point.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/452/poultry-slam-2011?act=2

post #73 of 80

Ecimmortal,

Criticize if you must. I've come to expect nothing but criticism from many posters here at Epic and you don't disappoint me.

Pledge works fine if you want to ski dirty late season snow without breaking your neck. And WD-40 works too.

I can't imagine that a handful of Spring skiers are using so much of it that we are wrecking the planet, or your water supply.

If you don't want to use it for whatever reason, that's your prerogative.

I'm sure your preferred wax stocks salmon fry and butterflies as you glide down hill.

But please don't criticize me for trying to ski without sticking to the snow.

Or call me pathetic because I try to slide in the Spring.

post #74 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girdwoodguy View Post
 

Ecimmortal,

Criticize if you must. I've come to expect nothing but criticism from many posters here at Epic and you don't disappoint me.

Pledge works fine if you want to ski dirty late season snow without breaking your neck. And WD-40 works too.

I can't imagine that a handful of Spring skiers are using so much of it that we are wrecking the planet, or your water supply.

If you don't want to use it for whatever reason, that's your prerogative.

I'm sure your preferred wax stocks salmon fry and butterflies as you glide down hill.

But please don't criticize me for trying to ski without sticking to the snow.

Or call me pathetic because I try to slide in the Spring.


As I said before, I ski in the summer too. Proper base structure will get you farther than whatever voodoo magic you choose to spray.

post #75 of 80

I agree on the coarse base structure but what about all the wax?  What about fluorinated wax?  What about diesel fuel and oil that may leak  or be spilled from a grooming equipment, etc?  

post #76 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstreu1026 View Post
 

I agree on the coarse base structure but what about all the wax?  What about fluorinated wax?  What about diesel fuel and oil that may leak  or be spilled from a grooming equipment, etc?  

 

flourinated wax is part of the Communist conspiracy to flourinate our water and sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1KvgtEnABY

I wonder if life essence would work for spring skiing.

post #77 of 80

What about diesel fuel?

Obviously less spillage or use is better. It's going to be awhile before there's electric snow cats.

Hey, it used to be common for people to just go into the woods and drain their car/truck oil into the ground or in a sewer drain on the street. People on dirt roads used to say it helped keep the dust down.

 

Aspen and other areas have changed to oil less air compressors to eliminate the small amount of oil that escapes and is transferred to the air/snow.

 

some thoughts on ski wax;

http://www.dominatorwax.com/sites/default/files/dominator/THE-ENVIRONMENTAL-IMPACT-OF-WAXING.pdf

post #78 of 80
post #79 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrpen View Post
 

My favorite.

 

http://www.hertelskiwax.com/Hertel_Spring_Solution_Ski_Wax_s/125.htm


Mine too.

post #80 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post

 

flourinated wax is part of the Communist conspiracy to flourinate our water and sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1KvgtEnABY

I wonder if life essence would work for spring skiing.

 



Only if the essence came from young Gelflings.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion