New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ballet Skis 150 cm

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

I recently blew out the edge of my Hart Ballet skis.  I am looking for a replacement pair (any brand such as Hart, K2, The Ski, etc) will do.  The other option is to find someone able to replace the entire edge and fix the base.

 

Any help on this search is greatly appreciated because I still use them to teach the long lost art of ballet skiing to those who want to learn it!

 

Thanks so much!

 

p,s,  Here is a "one take" YouTube video shot just a few weeks ago:

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTm_HfyuWrE

post #2 of 20

Have you looked for your first thread? It's on page 2 by now, but it is there. Several folks offered suggestions and one evidently has some vintage ballet skis he's willing to part with. If you go there you might find something useful.

 

And just how did you blow out an edge? The edges on my hart ballets are a one piece ladder structure. If I hit anything hard enough to dislodge one edge it would pull the other side across with it. The bases on my harts are peeling off. I now use the short Rossi's and the Head Mojos for ballet.

 

Do check beyond the first page of the forum to find your other thread.

 

73bea4f9_myQuiver.JPG

post #3 of 20
Thread Starter 

Morrison,

Thanks for the info.  I hit something under the lift that not only deeply gouged the base, but actually broke the inside edge in two.  I have the blue ballets with white lettering that may have a different set up than your yellow ones, which I also had at one time until the tip broke.  In fact, I had one of the original pairs of Hart Ballets sold under the model name "Swivel Stick" (same yellow/blue color combination).

 

I have sent an email to the individual you mentioned with the vintage pair of Olins and Puppets and am waiting to hear back.  Interestingly enough, he lives where my very good friend did and I wonder if that's where he may have gotten them.

 

Thanks again and I'll keep looking.  If not, I may try your recommendations.

 

Thanks again,

 

Ken

post #4 of 20

I actually made ballet skis out of some old hart Gremlins once.  They had a turned up tail and I filled the center groove with P-tex and seriously detuned them.  I wasn't much on ballet and pretty much sucked at it but usually skied it at USSA meets to get a couple more combined points.   Anyway, kids skis can work as they are usually pretty soft and they don't even have grooves anymore.  You can detune them, but the deeper sidecuts might be an obstacle.

post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post

I actually made ballet skis out of some old hart Gremlins once.  They had a turned up tail and I filled the center groove with P-tex and seriously detuned them.  I wasn't much on ballet and pretty much sucked at it but usually skied it at USSA meets to get a couple more combined points.   Anyway, kids skis can work as they are usually pretty soft and they don't even have grooves anymore.  You can detune them, but the deeper sidecuts might be an obstacle.


My Rossi's have a pretty radical sidecut - 11 m TR for a 140 cm ski. So far they haven't done anything weird on me. They have been very predictable, actually.  I tuned them at a 2°+ base bevel, so they don't carve worth a darn (or maybe I don't carve worth a darn. biggrin.gif) I might give those 150 k2 shorts another try this year. They seem kinda dead, though; they've only been rented a million times before they ran away and sought refuge in my garage.

 

post #6 of 20


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Dancer View Post

Morrison,

Thanks for the info.  I hit something under the lift that not only deeply gouged the base, but actually broke the inside edge in two.  I have the blue ballets with white lettering that may have a different set up than your yellow ones, which I also had at one time until the tip broke.  In fact, I had one of the original pairs of Hart Ballets sold under the model name "Swivel Stick" (same yellow/blue color combination).

 

I have sent an email to the individual you mentioned with the vintage pair of Olins and Puppets and am waiting to hear back.  Interestingly enough, he lives where my very good friend did and I wonder if that's where he may have gotten them.

 

Thanks again and I'll keep looking.  If not, I may try your recommendations.

 

Thanks again,

 

Ken


I remember seeing the Swivel Stick model somewhere, long ago. It wasn't around long and they didn't make a whole lot of them, it seems.

 

post #7 of 20

I recently stumbled upon an old ski ballet video and became fascinated with the sport. I'm seriously thinking of picking it up next year.

 

As far as gear is concerned, I read somewhere that the skis ought to be about 80% of the skier's height. Is that correct? Also, do modern twin-tips work or would you suggest finding skis that were specifically made for the purpose? Are regular boots used? 

post #8 of 20
Thread Starter 

Nice to hear you may give ballet skiing a try.  It is way fun, very entertaining (for yourself and the crowds) and challenging to learn and invent new tricks. 

 

Regarding equipment, it is very, very hard to find original ballet skis.  Most have become collectors items.  Other suggestions are mogul or aerial skis with minimal side cut and turned up tails to allow the skis to spin without catching (like the "shaped" skis do) the snow during the spins.  Stay away from anything that's wide.  That said, there are several partial/full twin tip rockers that may fit the bill.  I'm looking into this. 

 

Regarding length and to make it easy for learning ballet get 140s.  I used Hart Ballet 150s for both ballet and skiing all over the mountain until they broke this spring.  I'm 5'9", not quite as young as I used to be and I can still do helicopters on 150s off moguls or on the flats.

 

Any top quality boot will work fine.  In the "old days", freestyle ballet skiers preferred Scotts for the extremely light weight, but alas like the original ballet skis, they are long gone and some display their original Olin Ballets, Scott boots and Spademan bindings over their fireplaces or in their libraries.

 

Keep watching the videos, start out slow and have a blast!

 

Boom Bow Meow,

 

Snow Dancer

post #9 of 20
Thread Starter 

Here's another ballet video for ya:

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTm_HfyuWrE

 

That was shot 2/11/11.

 

An update on ballet skis, I got a pair of k2 244s this summer on sale for $262.  They are 97/66/82 with a turned up tail similar to my old Harts.  They should do just great!  I'll update after my first day.

 

Snow Dancer

post #10 of 20

had a brand ne w pair of olin and lost them. if you find out ware to get some, please let me know. josephmg44@yahoo.com   thanks

post #11 of 20
Thread Starter 

I'll start a Congressional investigation immediately.  This will shirley solve the problem.

post #12 of 20

so are these two the same or is this Josh- the grammar is remarkable....icon14.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephmg44 View Post

had a brand ne w pair of olin and lost them. if you find out ware to get some, please let me know. josephmg44@yahoo.com   thanks

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Dancer View Post

I'll start a Congressional investigation immediately.  This will shirley solve the problem.

post #13 of 20

I remember trying that as a youth, never did really well.  Looking back though, my 203 GS race skis may have been the problem ROTF.gif as the tips got caught occasionally.

post #14 of 20

Hi, I have some old great shape hart ballets as well as some rossignols - espirit, and 3series, 4 sets poles.   If interested send me a message I can send photos. jim@cgda.net

Thanks - Jim

post #15 of 20

Hi, I have some old great shape hart ballets as well as some rossignols - espirit, and 3series, 4 sets poles.   If interested send me a message I can send photos. jim@cgda.net

Thanks - Jim

post #16 of 20

Hi, I have some old great shape hart ballets as well as some rossignols - espirit, and 3series, 4 sets poles.   If interested send me a message I can send photos. jim@cgda.net

Thanks - Jim

post #17 of 20

Welcome to EpicSki, Jim.  It's a somewhat old thread, but maybe the original poster will show up.  Sounds like you've got some good stuff.

post #18 of 20
Jim, I am interested in hearing about your available ballet skis. Been looking fir a pair. I emailed you. Hope to hear back. Lori
post #19 of 20
Thread Starter 

Dump that Daisey.............send me them!  After all, I can afford it.

 

I found a treasure trove of ballets in Germany, but they were old, drilled and way to expensive to send back.

 

Send me those Puppets!

 

Snow Dancer

post #20 of 20

Hello Snow Dancer!,,I am just getting back into Ski Ballet after all these yearz!,,Luvin It!,,Question,,I am looking at a mogul ski 154cm,,do you think it is too long,,I remember having a 160cm,,when I was much Younger!,,,,And  on the mount,,I do not remember,,but I do not think it was a center mount,,what might you recommend?,,I will look at your other Blogs here!,,thank you!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion