New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Look N17s and ski brakes

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 

Hi,

I just joined and have a specific question. I have searched the forums, found little about it and am realizing my question might involve EpicSki sacrilege, but I will ask it anyway. First a little background.

I broke my Geze G78 bindings yesterday at Waterville Valley. The plastic sheared off. They are un repairable. This is the second time a plastic binding has structurally failed under me. As I think over my options, I have a thought…

In the loft in my barn are my 1972 K2 Elites with Look Nevada (N17) bindings. I now think they were the best bindings I have ever had.

I remember around 1990 I stopped using them because the ski areas disapproved of run-away straps, also chunks of the tops of my Elites were also falling off and I decided I liked the  ski brakes concept.

Is there any way to use ski brakes with these bindings? Will my current 2000 or so Solomon boots fit them (they seem to fit fine)?

My sacrilegious thought is to put the Looks on my 1990-ish VAS 5 Rossignols. My problem is that I would need to find an after market ski brake I can use. There doesn’t seem to be enough room for a ski brake because with the Looks, the boots are right on the surface of the ski.

Has anyone had any experience with a problem like this?

Thank you,

Chris 

post #2 of 24

ah, Old Binder karma...

GEZE G78 - prolly a fine example of crappage materials for a decent engineering product (not materials engineering, that was crap...)

almost had my eye poke out by a G78 heel that detonated.

...never ski one of those any further than you care to walk...

I had one explode on me at the TOP of Sun Valley, on a HOT spring day with about 1 ft deep of mush...

ugggh....

still no worse than all the other plastico binders of the day...

 

N17 - nice antique - mount hem on the wall with the VAS-5s...

 

The newer plastic binders are much better than that old late 80's early 90's crappage.

 

You can get some pretty decent pre-owned stuff for about the headache value of trying to match brakes with the N17. ...

you'll be blown away by how nicely anything made within the last 5 yrs skis...

I know, I took the same journey of awakening just these past 2 yrs...

 

welcome to Epic

hang around... its a kooky, fun kinda N17 place,, lotsa gearheads, sometimes funny...

better entertainment value than most stuff on cable/sat... your iphone...

post #3 of 24

If you want to go all metal you can and don't have to go back as far as the N17's. Salomon Equipes, Look TT's or Pivot's ect. Newer and more modern bindings that will work better. 

post #4 of 24

If you would like to send those N17s to a good home, I'd pay the shipping for them. I have a pair of DHs drilled for N17s that could use that binding for display (and a run or two for old times sake).

post #5 of 24
Thread Starter 

I bought a pair of Solomon 500s on Ebay. While not all metal, the pivot and structural component within the heel piece are steel. They look like they will hold up. I pulled off my Geze G78s, filled the holes with epoxy and will mount the Solomons soon.

I would be hard pressed to part with the N17s, although I suppose my kids will throw them out after I leave on the eternal trip to endless powder. I bought the N17s and a pair of first or second year K2s just before my one and only ski trip to Europe in 1972.

I believe the Grateful Dead were there that spring as well. I missed them that year, but I made up for that in following years.

Thank you for your help,

Chris 

post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustsail View Post

I bought a pair of Solomon 500s on Ebay. While not all metal, the pivot and structural component within the heel piece are steel. They look like they will hold up. I pulled off my Geze G78s, filled the holes with epoxy and will mount the Solomons soon.

I would be hard pressed to part with the N17s, although I suppose my kids will throw them out after I leave on the eternal trip to endless powder. I bought the N17s and a pair of first or second year K2s just before my one and only ski trip to Europe in 1972.

I believe the Grateful Dead were there that spring as well. I missed them that year, but I made up for that in following years.

Thank you for your help,

Chris 


They make plastic plugs specifically for filling old holes in skis. Epoxy may degrade the core if it is not made of wood.

 

Europe '72 is one of my favorite albums. Great for skiing to.
 

 

post #7 of 24

The N-57 & N-77 could be purchased with brakes that mounted on the toe piece.  The problem is the hole pattern in the toe for those models is reverse of what it is for the N-17 so even if you found some N-57/N-77 brakes you couldn't use them.  If you love your N-17 look for a pair of N-57s with brakes which are basically the same binding.

post #8 of 24

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustsail View Post
My sacrilegious thought is to put the Looks on my 1990-ish VAS 5 Rossignols.
 


Some kids on the local mogul team have mounted N-77s on their skis & love them.  Performance is great and they take a beating without showing any wear & tear.

 

post #9 of 24

N 57s -- with FORWARD-FACING brakes, my first pair of bindings with brakes. Mounted on a pair of Kneissl White Stars.

post #10 of 24

Look actually came out with a "kit" to let you retrofit a brake onto a n17 Nevada toe piece. I have two pairs of skis with this setup, Dynamic VR17's and Olin Mk II V.C.E.'s.

 

I'll post some pix in the next day or two.......

 

 

Not the kit BUT purdy  biggrin.gif

 

Look n17 NOS.jpg

post #11 of 24

Ummm, I believe that you CAN use nonono2.gifold school safety straps at your own riskeek.gif.  If ski areas banned them then what would telemark skiers use?th_dunno-1[1].gif

post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post

Ummm, I believe that you CAN use nonono2.gifold school safety straps at your own riskeek.gif.  If ski areas banned them then what would telemark skiers use?th_dunno-1[1].gif



I have a "number" of skis that warrant safety straps. I've never had anyone say a word........

 


Edited by Rossi Smash - 3/25/11 at 11:46am
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post

Look actually came out with a "kit" to let you retrofit a brake onto a n17 Nevada toe piece. I have two pairs of skis with this setup, Dynamic VR17's and Olin Mk II V.C.E.'s.

 

I'll post some pix in the next day or two.......

 

 

 

 



OK, so here are two examples of the "brake kit" from Look.

First is the original n17 Nevada toe piece with kit installed.

Second is a later n17 Nevada T (teflon) Comp toe piece with the brake kit in place.

 

P3250330.JPGP3250332.JPGP3250331.JPG

 

post #14 of 24

Gosh, your skis and bindings look so clean you could eat off of them! :-)

post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by renenkel View Post

Gosh, your skis and bindings look so clean you could eat off of them! :-)



...so long as it is /clean/ food  biggrin.gif

post #16 of 24

With respect to runaway straps, as long as the leather isn't rotten....I'd say go for it.

 

Everybody wears a helmet these days, right?

 

I couldn't get my DIN soled boots into my N77's. The soles were too wide to fit into the turntable heel. My N77's have the forward facing brakes and are mounted on some 1980 Dynastar Omesofts. I'd like to rock them boards...too bad the black plastic tip protectors are long gone.

post #17 of 24



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibumm100 View Post

With respect to runaway straps, as long as the leather isn't rotten....I'd say go for it.

 

Everybody wears a helmet these days, right?

 

I couldn't get my DIN soled boots into my N77's. The soles were too wide to fit into the turntable heel. My N77's have the forward facing brakes and are mounted on some 1980 Dynastar Omesofts. I'd like to rock them boards...too bad the black plastic tip protectors are long gone.



That's interesting. I have no trouble with 3 different pair of modern boots in any of my n17, n57, n77, 89RX or 99RS bindings.

What brand are they? How old?

 

No helmet here and yet safety straps still don't scare me. Brakes are simply more convenient when an option.

 

post #18 of 24
Thread Starter 

Looks like there are some options...

I like best the retro-Look N17 ski brake. I wonder if they are still made and/or available. How long ago and where did you get yours, Rossi Smash? With ski brakes, I'd probably take my 1970 K2s out for a few runs.

I am putting the Solomon 500s on my Vas 5s today. I am going skiing at the end of the week and need something under my feet.

I like MoreOutdoor's image. My first car was a 1960 VW Van.

Thank you for your help.

Chris

post #19 of 24

Your only chance would be to find them on some old skis. I'll bet Look hasn't had them in their system for 25+ years.

post #20 of 24
Thread Starter 

Well, my Solomon 500 bindings are on the Rossi V-5. The V-5s are practically Epic skies, at 20 years old.

I’m glad I watched Steve Power’s “how to mount ski bindings” video. A couple of items of his advice were useful, like put the bindings near, but not at the full back position. After mounting, I found I needed to go back two clicks to get the best tight, but not too tight, and self right-left self-aligning length.

My dining room table is no pro-shop, but all turned out well.

Rossi Smash. Does it look like the kit involved lifting or placing a spacer under the N17s to make clearance for the brake?

Chris 

post #21 of 24

Chris

 

Yes, that is exactly what it does. Look at this picture....

 

Look brake kit.jpg

post #22 of 24
Thread Starter 

Interesting, so (insert devilish laugh) if I could find one of the generic after market brakes and raise my front N17 to provide sufficient clearance. It could work.

Rossi Smash, Do the rear bindings also appear to have been lifted with a similar shim (I suspect not) or does the angular range of the rear binding, in the minds of the 1970’s engineers at Look, appear to tolerate the front ski brake lift?

(Insert chortle),

Chris 

post #23 of 24

 

Chris

 

Which n17's do you have? The originals or the later T's?

Look GP 01.jpg

 

Above ^      n17  Grand Pix (2 roller)                       2nd gen n17 "T" (1 roller)                                         n57 (1 roller)                                                      n77 (now a lug)

                                                                                     adjustment scale window

 

The kit added a plastic pad that the later heels had to add the height. (for the ORIGINAL version)

 

 

2nd gen n17, Nevada T

Look Nevada T Brochure 1975.jpg

 

Look n17s.jpg

post #24 of 24
Thread Starter 

Hi,

Mine are the 1st generation, far left in your picture,

Chris

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs