EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › How do I convince my wife to move West?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How do I convince my wife to move West? - Page 2

post #31 of 38

make sure you aren't just sold on your minds perception of wanting live there vs. actually living there. We often envision all that is good but our mind is good at not considering all that is bad or not all that different from what you have now.  If you have considered all this, contact a realtor who can arrange a area tour. This person can arrange a visit to the area to give you a better idea of the reality of the town and surrounding areas, true cost of living, shopping, healthcare, education, employment and realistic income, commuting and such at a much deeper level than just going out there on your own. Then consider what you are giving up: family, friends current job, income etc.  Consider the realities of mud season and shoulder seasons as well as high tourist season.  reality can be a bitch....

post #32 of 38

You didn't say anything about your wife, so how do you expect to get an actual answer? Frankly, that's way more important than your background. Is she tied to the east coast by a job, family, etc.? Does she eat, live and breathe the east coast or is there a chance she'd be open to moving? Does she like skiing/nature/scenery or is she more of a city gal?

 

For me all it took was one trip out to CO to plant the seed--you just can't compete with that scenery anywhere in the east. But that's relevant for my wife, not yours.

 

Just like with the ever-popular "where should I ski" questions, you have to give some information to get some.

post #33 of 38
Thread Starter 

You have hit upon the primary difficulty...she's from here, her family's here.  There aren't any complete deal breakers, but they are real issues, at least for the time being.  I would say she appreciates both cities and the outdoors, although her rank ordering of the two isn't the same as mine.  

 

I grew up in the mountains, so I have a pretty good idea of the challenges, but I also have a great appreciation for the benefits.  Not just for me, but for our family.  We have one big advantage, in that neither of us is connected to the area because of employment.  Frankly, the proximity of SLC airport to the PC area is absolutely critical.  

 

For a variety of reasons, we're both somewhat dissatisfied with our current location, but it's like any large-scale change in life: the impact of the negatives need to outweigh the fear of the unknown (and the corollary, comfort with "the devil you know") before anything can happen.  And that, in a nutshell, is what keeps us: fear of change.  For me, not so much...I've moved around quite a bit, and I actually enjoy new situations; for her, it would be a such a rare and exotic event that it simply can't come easily.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeUT View Post

You didn't say anything about your wife, so how do you expect to get an actual answer? Frankly, that's way more important than your background. Is she tied to the east coast by a job, family, etc.? Does she eat, live and breathe the east coast or is there a chance she'd be open to moving? Does she like skiing/nature/scenery or is she more of a city gal?

 

For me all it took was one trip out to CO to plant the seed--you just can't compete with that scenery anywhere in the east. But that's relevant for my wife, not yours.

 

Just like with the ever-popular "where should I ski" questions, you have to give some information to get some.



 

post #34 of 38


Life is much too short for the slow sale.  The fast track route: give the ultimatum and then go start packing the wagon, by the time you put in the first load she'll be wishing you lived out west.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikebeer View Post

Our three kids are so far away from marriage that it's literally inconceivable.  Nevertheless, you, sir, are my hero!
 

All things in good time.  I've planted the seed, we'll see if it takes.  There's no point in pushing hard at the moment...need to be pragmatic about how I approach this.

 



 



 

post #35 of 38

I suggest you take a few trips. Maybe look at houses for a day while you are wherever.

 

Personally, I think PC would be an awesome place to live.

post #36 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_Salina View Post

A good job... A nice place to live...look out for her needs...find a place near lots of things you know she loves andvwould be good for your kids,  then ask.



Anyone know how I can get my wife to come home long enough to get the house ready to sell so I can go west and ski like she is????ski.gif

 

post #37 of 38
Thread Starter 

A long summer trip is now officially on the docket.  Who knows, maybe we'll end up having a longer stay at PC...I happen to be the one planning the trip, so let's just say it's possible. cool.gif

 

Skied today in the NE, Sunapee in NH.  It's nice for what it is, but it also makes you remember (with longing in the heart) just how good skiing can really be.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromano View Post

I suggest you take a few trips. Maybe look at houses for a day while you are wherever.

 

Personally, I think PC would be an awesome place to live.



 

post #38 of 38



Hey Old Boot..............No thread hijacking.  I'll be home soon. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Boot View Post





Anyone know how I can get my wife to come home long enough to get the house ready to sell so I can go west and ski like she is????ski.gif

 



 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › How do I convince my wife to move West?