EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs › Is there a Base Cleaner/Wax Remover that I can buy from a hardware store?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is there a Base Cleaner/Wax Remover that I can buy from a hardware store?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

So I'm finally getting into waxing and the basic tuning of my own skis, but am still working on getting gear. Just ordered vices and waxes, and already have a good waxing kit.

 

Many tutorials I've seen suggest starting with cleaning the bases with a citrus-based wax remover/base cleaner. I was wondering if there's something I can buy from Lowes/Home Depot/etc. that isn't necessarily ski specific, but is the same stuff, and hopefully won't hurt my bases. Reason I ask is because I'm leaving out of town to go skiing soon, and don't have time to wait on a shipment, and there are no shops around here that sell the ski specific wax removers we're familiar with.

 

Suggestions?

post #2 of 17

Goo Gone is the perennial standby.   

 

It does, however, leave a slightly oily tack on your skis, it doesn't like to clean Zardozed waxes, and it can accelerate rust on some ski edges.

 

If you do use it, wipe it off thoroughly.

 

 

 

post #3 of 17

I wouldn't recommend using a wax remover if you are worried about dirt on/in your base I'd try a hot scrape i.e. Wax your skis with a soft wax and while the wax is still warm scrape it off with a sharp scarper

 

It takes time to build up a good level wax in your ski bases using a wax remover will undo all your good work.

post #4 of 17

You don't actually need a base cleaner.  A hot scrape with some cheap warm weather wax does well in my experience.  I can't recall the last time I used base cleaner on my skis.  If you want to use base cleaner, fine, some people do.  But since you don't have any, just do a hot scrape instead, IMO.

post #5 of 17

The only time I use a base cleaner/wax remover is when doing base repairs to ensure maximum adhesion since wax will not allow anything to stick. 

post #6 of 17


Dude,, your headed out to soft snow, don't worry about it.  If you have brass brush and nylon, brush them out first; put some good quality universal wax on them and go skiing dammit!  Like jaobrien said if you really feel the need to clean them out or if you are just bored... biggrin.gif
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaobrien6 View Post

You don't actually need a base cleaner.  A hot scrape with some cheap warm weather wax does well in my experience.  I can't recall the last time I used base cleaner on my skis.  If you want to use base cleaner, fine, some people do.  But since you don't have any, just do a hot scrape instead, IMO.



 

post #7 of 17
Thread Starter 

Great! Glad I don't have to buy anything else, then. So the general consensus seems to be that a hot scrape should be more than sufficient for routine waxes. I'll go with that, then. Thanks, everyone! smile.gif

post #8 of 17

yes but why do you feel you even need to clean them? You can do a quick clean out, as you are melting and ironing, just do a couple of passes with the scraper like Jaobrien suggested, then just put a little bit more wax on. I usually don't clean out the bases.

post #9 of 17

The only thing I use my base cleaner for is to clean off my scraper!

 

spray a bit on a wax-shaving covered scraper and it melts the wax right away.  Kinda makes you realize why some people say it's not good for your skis....

post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendonR View Post

The only thing I use my base cleaner for is to clean off my scraper!

 

spray a bit on a wax-shaving covered scraper and it melts the wax right away.  Kinda makes you realize why some people say it's not good for your skis....


Has it melted your scraper yet?

 

 

post #11 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

yes but why do you feel you even need to clean them? You can do a quick clean out, as you are melting and ironing, just do a couple of passes with the scraper like Jaobrien suggested, then just put a little bit more wax on. I usually don't clean out the bases.

Good question. At Jackson Hole a couple weeks ago, I ran over some rocks or old dirty ice that was under the snow. The bases are still in good shape, but it seemed that they got a little dirty. I'll see if the hot wax/scrape trick cleans 'em up.
 

 

post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post




Has it melted your scraper yet?

 

 


Nope.
 

A couple squirts of cleaner on both sides of the scraper, rub it around, and the wax that builds up just kindof turns into a.... goo, which I can then wipe off really easily.

 

Works great actually.

 

post #13 of 17


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendonR View Post




Nope.
 

A couple squirts of cleaner on both sides of the scraper, rub it around, and the wax that builds up just kindof turns into a.... goo, which I can then wipe off really easily.

 

Works great actually.

 



I haven't heard of any spontaneous oozings out of the plastic bottles on shelves either.

post #14 of 17

Hey, lots of stuff at the hardware store.

 -diamond stones, acetone, files etc. brushes.

 

For general hardware / lowes/ HD etc.

Acetone, works but danger  no flame or spark, will evap very fast. need to vent too.

I use it to clean before  Ptex string repairs or core shot repair

all purpose solvent.

 

I do recommend clean base in the begin of year,

when your not sure

and in the spring depending on where you are.

If there are buds on the trees then there is the gunk.

hot scraping that into a base to me does not make sense..

Like now around sc pa md line.

 

SRX

post #15 of 17


Good point, thanx Ed.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiracerxray View Post


For general hardware / lowes/ HD etc.

Acetone, works but danger  no flame or spark, will evap very fast. need to vent too.

I use it to clean before  Ptex string repairs or core shot repair

all purpose solvent.

post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post


 



I haven't heard of any spontaneous oozings out of the plastic bottles on shelves either.



 

 Not that I'd use it on skis, but we use denatured alcohol to clean knitting machine parts and to clean up after using shellac.  Last fall my wife found a PLASTIC container of the stuff that was leaking because the plastic had begun to disintegrate.  We now use either a tin or glass container.

post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson View Post


Not that I'd use it on skis, but we use denatured alcohol to clean knitting machine parts and to clean up after using shellac.  Last fall my wife found a PLASTIC container of the stuff that was leaking because the plastic had begun to disintegrate.  We now use either a tin or glass container.


IMO denaturing ethanol is like government-sponsored evil.   "We're not going to let you drink this stuff tax-free so we'll put in MEK or acetone or stuff that we wouldn't be allowed to sell you otherwise because it is either toxic enough to make you go blind just through inhalation or so vile that it could become a terrorist weapon".     It's like hiring the wicked witch stepmother from Snow White to make sure taxes are paid up.

 

If the alcohol was denatured with acetone or MEK, and if the plastic container was styrene frex,  I am not remotely surprised it melted.   It was the denaturing additives that did it.   Fortunately most base cleaners include none of that. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs › Is there a Base Cleaner/Wax Remover that I can buy from a hardware store?