EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Off-Season Sports & The Lighter Side › Cycling › any boxes/crates to ship bikes on plane w/out oversize charges?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

any boxes/crates to ship bikes on plane w/out oversize charges?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

Trying to find out if there are any boxes to ship my mtn bike. Continentals policy is total of 62" total of L+W+H and under 50#.  

post #2 of 19

I'd ship it UPS or Fed Ex

 

post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

I'd ship it UPS or Fed Ex

 



That's what I do with my Ritchie Break-Away......

 

post #4 of 19
Thread Starter 

Yeah, If I could find a box to use, I wouldn't have any fees. I am gold at Continental so I get 2 bags at #70 at no cost but I have to meet the size requirements. Its still $100 so not sure if its that much cheaper to ship UPS/FEDEx, plus having the bike with me is a good thing.

post #5 of 19

You might want to check those rates too.  Used to be able to ship a bike for $40-$50.  If you have an expensive bike and insure for it's full value, you could easily spend $100 shipping it these days.  Used to be a no brainer.

post #6 of 19

It seems like most racers use a soft(ish) case. I'm not sure if it fits the 60" rule though.

post #7 of 19

Cardboard and packaging tape.

 

They used to sell soft bike cases....but I wouldn't trust that on a plane...you arrive with a pretzel instead of a bike frame when you arrive.

post #8 of 19
Thread Starter 



yeah, IBIS.......  It's still less than renting a bike for a week or more overall. I will look around but I think its better to take with me and eat the $200.  At least I have it right away and its insured properly. If anyone sees any carriers, please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherPlayThanWork View Post

You might want to check those rates too.  Used to be able to ship a bike for $40-$50.  If you have an expensive bike and insure for it's full value, you could easily spend $100 shipping it these days.  Used to be a no brainer.



 

post #9 of 19

The Thule bike box looks really nice. But it's too big and retails for $700. AT that point, you might as well box it up in standard cardboard and ship it UPS. You could do that quite a few times before it will cost you $700.

post #10 of 19
Thread Starter 

Here's a couple of options

 

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_171086_-1_201538_10000_202591 

 

http://www.crateworks.com/ 

 

I found several good quality carriers that are all around 200-400.

post #11 of 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie-Rich View Post

Cardboard and packaging tape.

 

They used to sell soft bike cases....but I wouldn't trust that on a plane...you arrive with a pretzel instead of a bike frame when you arrive.


Au contraire, good sir!

 

My bike flies in a Pika Packworks EEP soft-shell case.  The thing does a great job keeping my carbon-frame bike and its wheels in perfect shape, and has take my bike (as well as friends' bikes) to places domestic and international without any issues.  The case is large (mine is the "stretch" version, as I have a 61cm bike), and barely exceeds the L/W/H limits for most airlines.  However, I've never been charged oversize to take it on the plane, as it doesn't scream "this is a BIKE" like other hardshell and softshell w/frame cases (e.g. SciCon).  And the case doesn't weigh much, so the bike doesn't hit 50 lbs. by a long shot.

 

Another plus: the case folds into a relatively compact lump for storage.  Try doing that with a Trico IronCase or similar....

 

FYI: the EEP was originally made for the U.S. Postal Service pro team, and is still used by some members of Team Radioshack.  The person who builds it is a former pro mountain bike racer.  There are near copies of the EEP from other companies as well, but the original is extremely well made and the company stand by its craftsmanship.

post #12 of 19
Thread Starter 

This is very interesting. I would like to see more info. I will search.  Thanks much!

post #13 of 19
I have used the Biknd Helium. It is inflatable and terrific. Also am a 100k+ mile/yr flier on USAir - I always pay - airlines are smart about it now. I take with me when going and usually ship back using a bike shop's discount rate, then reimburse. YMMV
post #14 of 19
Thread Starter 

yeah, I don't think there's anyway around that fee, no container will fit the requirements unless you are shipping your kids bike. Kind stupid. Why bother with the dims......  I ordered that container from Nashbar/performance for 199.00 

post #15 of 19
Thread Starter 



FWIW- I just ordered the large sized carrier, Mark is a cool guy, He is making the bag a bit larger for the oversized fork and added length, also, no need to take off calipers or rear derailleur

 

I returned the box to nashbar, A- not big enough b- would require waay too much dissassembly c- very large and cumbersome

Quote:
Originally Posted by songfta View Post


Au contraire, good sir!

 

My bike flies in a Pika Packworks EEP soft-shell case.  The thing does a great job keeping my carbon-frame bike and its wheels in perfect shape, and has take my bike (as well as friends' bikes) to places domestic and international without any issues.  The case is large (mine is the "stretch" version, as I have a 61cm bike), and barely exceeds the L/W/H limits for most airlines.  However, I've never been charged oversize to take it on the plane, as it doesn't scream "this is a BIKE" like other hardshell and softshell w/frame cases (e.g. SciCon).  And the case doesn't weigh much, so the bike doesn't hit 50 lbs. by a long shot.

 

Another plus: the case folds into a relatively compact lump for storage.  Try doing that with a Trico IronCase or similar....

 

FYI: the EEP was originally made for the U.S. Postal Service pro team, and is still used by some members of Team Radioshack.  The person who builds it is a former pro mountain bike racer.  There are near copies of the EEP from other companies as well, but the original is extremely well made and the company stand by its craftsmanship.



 

post #16 of 19

Glad you contacted Mark to order an EEP.  They are great cases, and I'm sure you'll be happy with yours.


 

post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

yeah, I don't think there's anyway around that fee, no container will fit the requirements unless you are shipping your kids bike. Kind stupid. Why bother with the dims......  I ordered that container from Nashbar/performance for 199.00 




Apr 13, 2011
Frontier Airlines Makes Travel Better and Different with New Guest Enhancements...

Carrier announces guest-friendly fee changes, Classic fare improvements

Bicycles:

Frontier is removing the flat fee for checked bicycles and will now include them in the standard baggage allowance, meaning customers traveling on Classis or Classic Plus fares can include their bike as one of their two complimentary checked bags and Economy passengers would pay $20 if the bike is one of their first two checked bags. Bikes will be exempt from any oversize fees, but subject to overweight fees and excess bag fees, if applicable. This is similar to the carrier’s current policy for golf clubs and skis....

http://frontierair.tekgroupweb.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=5264
post #18 of 19

Chris -

 

Thanks for posting this - I was going to do the same.  And it's great if you are traveling domestically and are serviced by Frontier - fortunately, I am.  If I'm heading west to Denver, Salt Lake City, or points further west, game on!  

 

However, if you're traveling overseas, or aren't close to a Frontier city, it's not quite as simple.  Thus why I'm really impressed with the EEP: its lavel of protection, light weight and non-descript look are perfect.  The only international airlines that offers a deal similar to Frontier are Air France and Iberia, though it's important make sure it's a flight operated by either AF or Iberia and not a partner airline, as the partner's luggage rules apply (read: $200+ each way for the bike).

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeib View Post


Apr 13, 2011
Frontier Airlines Makes Travel Better and Different with New Guest Enhancements...

Carrier announces guest-friendly fee changes, Classic fare improvements

Bicycles:

Frontier is removing the flat fee for checked bicycles and will now include them in the standard baggage allowance, meaning customers traveling on Classis or Classic Plus fares can include their bike as one of their two complimentary checked bags and Economy passengers would pay $20 if the bike is one of their first two checked bags. Bikes will be exempt from any oversize fees, but subject to overweight fees and excess bag fees, if applicable. This is similar to the carrier’s current policy for golf clubs and skis....

http://frontierair.tekgroupweb.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=5264


 

post #19 of 19
Thread Starter 

Awesome, I am going to send this to Continental customer service......

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cycling
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Off-Season Sports & The Lighter Side › Cycling › any boxes/crates to ship bikes on plane w/out oversize charges?