or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

copper vs. breckenridge

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 

I will be heading out to CO for 3 days of skiing on March.  I will be skiing Loveland the last day since it's on the way to the airport.  But I haven't decided where to ski the first 2 days. Looking at either Copper or Breckenridge.   I can get $59 lift tickets for Copper, Breck is a lot more $$$.  I'm a good intermediate skier who likes steep groomed slopes.  My previous CO skiing consists of 3 days (A-basin and Loveland).  Being from the mid-atlantic, anything in CO is a huge step up from what I usually ski. 

 

WIll I be disappointed at Copper? Or should I spend the extra money and go to Breck?  Keystone isn't any cheaper, so if I'm going to pay the higher price, I may as well go to Breck.

 

Thanks for any advice.

post #2 of 24

 

You will have fun at Copper.   Especially if you have someone show you around, or if you venture off the groom.

 

Disappointed?  Only if you come expecting Snowbird or Jackson.

post #3 of 24

I don't think you'll be disappointed in Copper Mtn whatsoever.  In fact, it's my (and many locals) favorite Colorado resort.  In my opinion, it's got a lot more to offer than A-Basin and I've never been to Loveland.  

 

Although Breck is more expensive, I'd much prefer to ski Copper any day.  It's generally less crowded, and much more enjoyable terrain for my advanced-intermediate tastes.

 

Have fun!

 

post #4 of 24

Skip Breck, ski Copper, have fun. Take the money you saved and put it towards a nice dinner or buy a round for you friends. You're gonna love Copper. Nothing against Breck, but I'd pick Copper even if it was a little more expensive, which it's not. If you were there for a week, then maybe I'd take a day and ski Breck or Keystone, just for something different.

 

Have fun!

post #5 of 24

Copper IMO. Money aside I think you would enjoy both equally but, use the money you save going to Copper for something else. 

post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibumm100 View Post

I'd pick Copper even if it was a little more expensive

 

Have fun!


+1

 

There is certainly plenty of fine skiing to be had at either hill but the only reason I ever ski Breck is if I am coerced by friends.

 

post #7 of 24

 

BTW, so we have a clearer idea, what would you call 'steep'?

post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlantz View Post

I will be heading out to CO for 3 days of skiing on March.  I will be skiing Loveland the last day since it's on the way to the airport.  But I haven't decided where to ski the first 2 days. Looking at either Copper or Breckenridge.   I can get $59 lift tickets for Copper, Breck is a lot more $$$.  I'm a good intermediate skier who likes steep groomed slopes.  My previous CO skiing consists of 3 days (A-basin and Loveland).  Being from the mid-atlantic, anything in CO is a huge step up from what I usually ski. 

 

WIll I be disappointed at Copper? Or should I spend the extra money and go to Breck?  Keystone isn't any cheaper, so if I'm going to pay the higher price, I may as well go to Breck.

 

Thanks for any advice.


Copper and Keystone definitely have more steep groomers than Breckenridge.  I like the top of Breck which offers steep, ungroomed terrain, but the front part of the mountain is mostly flat. 

post #9 of 24

Copper vs Breck,

 Should be able to find coupons for buy one get one free @ most Shell gas stations (with fill-up), have also seen $59 lift ticket coupons along with Bogo's in the Denver area "e Book", which can be had @ the local King Soopers / City Markets in the Metro area. e Book also has two $10 off the price of Loveland tickets. Price of the e book is only a Hamilton!

post #10 of 24

where do you get $59 lift tix?

post #11 of 24

Dave, you go to Kings or City Market, (local grocery store) pay $10 for the e book & use the coupons from the book, check www.eduproject.com for more details

post #12 of 24
Thread Starter 

comprex, i consider bold decision at whitetail pretty steep.   Thanks for all of the info... you all have convinced me that Copper should be OK.  I'll wait till I get there to commit in case conditions are really bad in one place or the other.

post #13 of 24

Let us know when your there, would be happy to show the secret stash, as long as it's not a work day!smile.gif

post #14 of 24

Few Copper shots from today :)

 

DSC04293.JPG

post #15 of 24

In the Trees,

 

DSC04296.JPG

post #16 of 24

Trail marker to the Secret Stash,

 

DSC04298.JPG

post #17 of 24

Copper probably has the best mix of terrrain in Summit County.  Somethijng for everyone and well separated.   Breck is better for experts (Peak 8 and 7 bowls) and lower intermdiates (Peak 9), but Copper is better for the those in the middle. 

post #18 of 24

$5.99 Lunch also helps (drink not included) had the pasta today. Parking is a toss between the two areas, Copper has a large amount of free parking, Breck you have to hunt for it!

     http://www.coppercolorado.com/winter/plan_and_buy/deals

post #19 of 24

Interesting. Five or ten years ago the general consensus on this board would have been Breck, not Copper.  Guess times have changed, but my opinion has stayed the same - I also vote for Copper.

post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinn View Post

Interesting. Five or ten years ago the general consensus on this board would have been Breck, not Copper.  Guess times have changed, but my opinion has stayed the same - I also vote for Copper.


Are you saying that Breck had more steep groomers or Copper had fewer steep groomers 5-10 year ago (or that the people on this board were not clued in)?

 

If the OP had said steep terrain in general, I might have said Breck (but would still probably pick Copper for myself if I only had to choose 1) 

post #21 of 24

Breck has increased its groomed area considerably this year.  Stuff that traditionally was allowed to bump up is getting flattened routinely.

post #22 of 24

If you choose Copper, let me know when you're coming out and I can get you tix for no more then $50 each.  If I'm not teaching that day, I'll be happy to show you around.  Even if I'm booked, we can take a run or two before lineup.  The only days I'll be unavailable are March 5-12.  Hope you can make it!

post #23 of 24

You'll have a good time.  I consider Copper my home mountain and one of the best things is the variety.  No matter how hard or relaxed you want to go that day there are plenty of terrain options. 

post #24 of 24

Check out the Breckenridge and Copper Google Earth trail maps. A good way to compare the resorts :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel