or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ASRA Belleayre

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

Anyone here racing this weekend?   Temperatures are suppose to get nice and chilly again, surface will be super slick after all this warm weather.  I am considering doing the GS Saturday...not sure yet.

post #2 of 8

I skied Belleayre today.  Spring conditions, literally.  It was up to about 55 degrees in the afternoon.  Snow was getting sticky, especially where it was still uncompressed, like in the woods.  If it all freezes up tonight, it is going to be pretty icy tomorrow.  Sharpen those edges at about 88 degree bevel and get the wax right for some abrasive snow in the morning.  If the race is lower Yahoo, it was fast today - my kids were straight-lining it from top to the lift 7 in about 20 seconds flat.  It should be faster tomorrow if you can hold the carve on the ice that will form.

 

Good luck!

post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 

Yeah the latest forecast is calling for snow and wind, so I am really up in the air if I want to do this.   Racing on ice with a dusting on top and wind does not sound like much fun.

post #4 of 8

DO it.     The cold is actually working *for* you.

 

You're young enough that you'd be racing at the end of the lineup, so ruts might be an issue even in the first rotation if the snow was *any* softer.    

 

Wind?  Who cares.   If you're going fast enough, there will be plenty wind anyway.   Just bring a big parka that you can wear at the top while waiting.

 

post #5 of 8

We're racing today and tomorrow at Song Mountain south of Syracuse-should be the same kind of conditions. Today is a tame super G-hope the wind isn't blowing UP the slope!

post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 

Syracuse...a wee bit far.

 

Didnt go, after tuning my skis and getting my gear ready as well as not finding someone to go with it was so late that I wasnt going to get any sleep, I decided that it wasnt meant to be.   Too bad, probably was real good.  Tomorrow they are doing SL, though I have SL skis, poles, and armor, I never raced it eek.gif  So I wont be doing that.

post #7 of 8

We cancelled today. Very strong winds, about 6" of new snow and no visibility makes for lousy racing conditions. We're going to do a SG/ SL combo tomorrow.

 

Kind of hard to explain to non skiers how a ski race can be cancelled because of too much snow!

post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post

We cancelled today. Very strong winds, about 6" of new snow and no visibility makes for lousy racing conditions. We're going to do a SG/ SL combo tomorrow.

 

Kind of hard to explain to non skiers how a ski race can be cancelled because of too much snow!


LOL....I know.   Or how icy means fasty.

 

Ill have to see if the ASRA races were cancelled...they didnt get back to me on registration location so maybe they were....now I dont feel so bad....would have felt worse if I drove 3hrs on 2hrs sleep and no racing to be had.

 

Where I live on Long Island since last night its been tornado like winds and I am a block away from the water, on as low and flat land as can be.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home