I am an avid skier, partly because my parents made sure I always had fun when I was kid and we'd go skiing together. Now I have twin girls who are 3 1/2. They have already been down the bunny hill with me for two seasons a few times on plastic skis between my legs. We did it just "for fun," but I didn't push it at all. I can't agree more with all the people who say -- just make sure it's fun for kids.
That said... I did just get them real ski boots, and we're going to spend two weeks on the slopes soon. I am looking for any advice anyone has about gear, what works, what doesn't work, tips/techniques - in order for them to get a fun start on what I hope will be a lifetime family sport. Specifically:
- I am a ski school fanatic, but I'm not sure the value is there quite yet. For sure in future years. I've watched the 3 year-olds ski school, and it's more like a general day care during the day with a bit of on snow time, which is fine - just don't want to pay $300/day for that.
- What is everyone's experience with how long kids that age will ski in a day? Two half-hour stints? I'm sure all kids are different, but I'm just trying to get a feel for where my expectations can be.
- When I take them out for their 1 hour (or whatever) of skiing per day, do I just do "pizza pie" and "french fries"? We've been doing that at home, and they're into it in the hallway in bare feet. Are there tricks to translating this onto the slope?
- Would you do both girls together (with possibly Grandma on skis with us?) or 1 at a time?
- Any tricks about what you do when a kid says, "I'm done" and you've just gotten off the chair lift? Would love to hear fellow moms/dads/instructors stories or ideas.
- I need to get two pairs of probably 67cm beginner skis. If anyone has either advice on those or some to sell, let me know.
- For 3 1/2 year olds, do you use edgie-wedgies? Are any brands better than others?
- Harnesses? What's the latest religion on those?
- I'm an open book for any advice. I believe the more prepared I am, the more fun we will have.