EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › International Zone › It's a f**king drought in europe
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

It's a f**king drought in europe

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

Last snowed sometime before christmas, can't remember when exactly. But every day is sunshine, sunshine and more sunshine. It's now the 2nd of february and the forecast for the next 10 days is more sunshine.

post #2 of 11

I censored your title, skiingaround.  

 

We've relaxed the standards around here but not quite that much.

 

I hope you get some snow.

post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 

sorry about the language Bob. The worst thing is, I have a ski instructor buddy from NZ coming over next week. It's his first time skiing in Europe, it's his last chance to ski here before his girlfriend marries him and they start reproducing.

Oh well, I'll take him Saas Fee, Zermatt, Verbier, Portes du Soleil, it's been cold enough for them to make snow, so at least the main trails are covered. We'll make sure our skis are tuned as it's pretty hard and fast.

post #4 of 11

I skied St. Anton yesterday.  The entire mountain is open with the snow and coverage excellent.  I even found a powder turn or two.  They had a foot a week ago, and two feet the week before that.  2.5 hr train ride from Zurich.

I'll be posting a Trip Report within a few days, but here are my pictures.

http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennCz/StAnton11_Jan#

post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowbirdDevotee View Post

I skied St. Anton yesterday.  The entire mountain is open with the snow and coverage excellent.  I even found a powder turn or two.  They had a foot a week ago, and two feet the week before that.  2.5 hr train ride from Zurich.

I'll be posting a Trip Report within a few days, but here are my pictures.

http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennCz/StAnton11_Jan#

You are one intrepid dude.icon14.gif  Some great shots in there.  Is #30 Zurs or St. Christoph?
 

post #6 of 11

It seems that Europe has the great mountains, North America the great snow. So it goes.

post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingaround View Post

Last snowed sometime before christmas, can't remember when exactly. But every day is sunshine, sunshine and more sunshine. It's now the 2nd of february and the forecast for the next 10 days is more sunshine.



So Europe = California??

post #8 of 11
Originally Posted by Jamesj View Post

You are one intrepid dude.icon14.gif  Some great shots in there.  Is #30 Zurs or St. Christoph?

 

I don't know what I am, but I left Philly 6pm Friday eve, was skiing by 1:45pm Saturday in St. Anton(it felt like a full half day with last lift at 4:15), changed at the train station on Tuesday at 2:15p to catch the 3pm train and then took a 9 hr plane ride home on Wednesday.  I was first on on the lift in the am and last one up in the afternoon, I got my vertical in!  I doubt any of the thousands of skiers got more vert in than me.  Skiing solo has its' benefits. Weather was trying to ruin my travel, but never did.  I didn't have one single cloud in the ski the entire 4 days of skiing.  Each morning reminded me of morning coffee at a beachside resort in the Carribean.

#30 is St. Christoph. Where I stayed.

I used to think that Snowbird was the best ski resort in the world.  Oh Well, ignorance is bliss!  St. Anton with Lech/Zurs is at least 4 Snowbird/Alta's with just as challenging terrain, and apparently the snowfall isn't far behind either.  But - it is a bitch to get to.  I'm oh so lucky, being only 2 hrs from Newark or Philly and I have enough freq flyer miles for a few more trips, and a tolerant wife.

I'll be posting a written Trip Report soon enough.
 

post #9 of 11

St. Anton is so great.

post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by prickly View Post

St. Anton is so great.



It's too bad so many people know it. If only the crowds were smaller.

post #11 of 11

Yeah that's true. Lech and Zurs not quite as bad from the crowd perspective. Really, your best bet for European skiing is to find a resort that does most of its business during the weekend and then go during the week. Andermatt is uncrowded on weekdays, as is Alagna, Courmayeur, Engelberg and a lot of others. With the St. Antons of the world, it really doesn't make much difference. Most people are there for a full week.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: International Zone
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › International Zone › It's a f**king drought in europe