or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › LINE skis>>I am disappointed with the quality....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LINE skis>>I am disappointed with the quality.... - Page 3

post #61 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeryder View Post


Nice to hear!

 

Line has never been on my RADAR until recently (and I've been skiing since '91), and am considering the '12 Prophet 90 or 100 to replace my '09 K2 Extremes as an everyday ski for Colorado (because they are cheap on clearance right now).  I'm leaning towards the 90 since I already have a pair of BD Justices for the pow & slack country skiing. 

 

The thing is there's just so many choices out there, I need a a stiff strong rugged ski being a big guy who skis the trees as much as possible.  I'm not at the pro level but was a racer on the East Coast in High School and ski everything in bounds with the exception of the park (I'm too old for that sh!t), and I don't bomb cliffs either.  The K2 extremes I have were probably made in the same facility as the Lines are in China and while the top sheets look like hell it took 3 years before getting my first core shot, by biggest gripe with them is the shop sold me on too short of a ski when I bought them (174cm) and I'm 6' and was about 245# when I bought them, didn't realize they were way too short until getting in a few days on the 185 Justices...

Line 105 Influence.   Find one to demo or borrow for a run or two. This is my everyday ski except when it gets hard then I ride something narrower. I ski mostly trees . Had them three years ,very few scratches, bases are nice, sidewalls are unharmed. I ski around 100 days a year . I will always explore choices made by Line as a believer that this is a company that creates excellent products. I ski with many who feel the same. I love these skis like no others I have owned .

post #62 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecimmortal View Post



How old are your examples? 8 years?

 

I've skied the hell out my Line P-98s for part of last year and all of this season--neither season setting any records in the snowfall department here in the west, the skis have taken some knocks. I don't bash them around "in the park" but I certainly don't baby them either. They are my daily drivers and have probably 50-60 hard days on them. Both the top sheets and the bases look great--better than either of my buddy's pairs of Kastles which have been skied signifcantly less and have some topsheet chipping--and he's a very good skier. 

 

More importantly, My Prophets ski great. I see no difference in the quality of my Chinese-made Line skis and the Volkl, Fisher, Atomic, and Dynastar skis I own--all of which bear labels indicating manufacture in Austria or France. It's likely that there is far greater variance between the high end and low end skis from one manufacturer than there is between the high end skis from different manufacturers. I have limited experience to date with Line, but so far, I'm very pleased.

 

By contrast, I have seen a whole fleet (dozens of them) of an award-winning, high performance European model skied for 1 year as demos where nearly every pair literally has chunks of material broken out the buttress-like structures (weird design) in front and especially behind the bindings. This is not a matter of cosmetic chipping, it's structural breakage that compromises at least the intent, and most likely, the performance of the design. I chalk that up to poor design execution on one model of their skis. I won't buy that ski, but neither will I disparage a company, and certainly not an entire country, based on the experience.

 

I hope we can leave the geopolitical rants off this forum. I'd rather read here about skis and skiing.

post #63 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschick View Post

First, my experience with Line has been fine. (and would any on-mountain shop keep them in a rental/demo fleet if they were that prone to damage?)

 

But more importantly, if you actually care about getting some help form a company don't write an overtly nasty note. Do you care more about getting service or just venting? Nice but firm with pictures - and editing it to show that you didn't just bang it out in 15 seconds- will get you much farther.

+1

post #64 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post

...  I looked at some Sir Francis Bacons and EP Pro's in a store recently.  They looked like nice skis, but somehow still look slightly inferior to everything else out there.  I couldn't pinpoint why...

A hundred years ago my English ancestors relied on hearsay and conjecture to make the same conclusions about my Irish ancestors.

 

It seems as though a lot of people without current, first-hand experience with Line skis have a lot to say about them and their Chinese origins. If you want to know if they're good skis, ski them or at least ask someone who does. All I know is that there is at least one pair of Line Prophet 98s that is holding up beautifully and skis great!

post #65 of 86

Most of the kids on my school's ski team use various Line ski's for the park.  They beat the snot out of them year in and year out.  The skis have really held up well.  That observation is why I just purchased a pair.

post #66 of 86

Sounds like the quality control issues are a thing of the past. My SFB's have held up perfectly fine this season.

post #67 of 86

I've been beating the crap out of my P98 this season and they are in great shape! I have no complains about durability! 31 days on it and just top sheet scratches... nothing else!

post #68 of 86

top sheets never get scratched in the lodge...  stay there looking pretty and leave the slopes empty for those of us that care about skiing.
 

post #69 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souk View Post

top sheets never get scratched in the lodge...  stay there looking pretty and leave the slopes empty for those of us that care about skiing.
 


3 posts in 4 years. Do us a favor and stick with that posting schedule.

post #70 of 86

I don't have alot of posts yet but I can tell you that the P90's are a fantastic ski and have held up better than other brands that I have used.  I agree with many of the previous post that say lets get back to discussing skiing and quit bashing where a ski is manufactured.

post #71 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralVortex View Post

6 days (Monterosa area) on some used Elizabeths I picked up and 5 more days (Revelstoke) on the Bacons I bought last season, and both are doing well. The Lizzies held up to a week of rock hunting (fresh snow over shallow/non-existent base), and the Bacons enjoyed the easiest trip they've seen since I bought them (no rock shots, and only a couple of buried tree limbs).

 

Overall, I'm still pretty satisfied. And my brother's liking the used P-100s I sold him.

 

Still using my Lizzies and Bacons with no problems. I'll probably take the Lizzies in for base repair as I've hit a couple of rocks pretty hard this season. Still no core shots though.

post #72 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post

 

I've skied the hell out my Line P-98s for part of last year and all of this season--neither season setting any records in the snowfall department here in the west, the skis have taken some knocks. I don't bash them around "in the park" but I certainly don't baby them either. They are my daily drivers and have probably 50-60 hard days on them. Both the top sheets and the bases look great--better than either of my buddy's pairs of Kastles which have been skied signifcantly less and have some topsheet chipping--and he's a very good skier. 

 

More importantly, My Prophets ski great. I see no difference in the quality of my Chinese-made Line skis and the Volkl, Fisher, Atomic, and Dynastar skis I own--all of which bear labels indicating manufacture in Austria or France. It's likely that there is far greater variance between the high end and low end skis from one manufacturer than there is between the high end skis from different manufacturers. I have limited experience to date with Line, but so far, I'm very pleased.

 

By contrast, I have seen a whole fleet (dozens of them) of an award-winning, high performance European model skied for 1 year as demos where nearly every pair literally has chunks of material broken out the buttress-like structures (weird design) in front and especially behind the bindings. This is not a matter of cosmetic chipping, it's structural breakage that compromises at least the intent, and most likely, the performance of the design. I chalk that up to poor design execution on one model of their skis. I won't buy that ski, but neither will I disparage a company, and certainly not an entire country, based on the experience.

 

I hope we can leave the geopolitical rants off this forum. I'd rather read here about skis and skiing.


I'm still trying to figure out why you quoted me.

post #73 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecimmortal View Post


I'm still trying to figure out why you quoted me.

I think I was aiming at someone else. My apologies.

post #74 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecimmortal View Post


3 posts in 4 years. Do us a favor and stick with that posting schedule.


sure... and you keep posting so much and stay off the snow.

post #75 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souk View Post


sure... and you keep posting so much and stay off the snow.


41 days and counting, pass is good until May 28th. Lifts turn all summer.......You were saying?

post #76 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post


Line is owned by K2.  They are made in China.

 

Volkl is owned by, well, Volkl.  They are made in China as well.

 

I see your point.

 

I was under the impression that the "Made in Germany" marked skis for Volkl were actually made in germany. Is this untrue?

post #77 of 86

No, it's true. CA is blowing smoke. 1) Volkl is also owned by K2. Has been since 2004 or thereabouts. And K2 is owned by a holding company that mostly owns companies that make kitchenware and appliances. Welcome to the real world. 2) If it says "Made in Germany," that's where it's manufactured. If it says "Designed in Germany," It could be made anywhere. Far as I know, Volkl has always made its race, carving, and all mountain skis in Germany. It moved production of most of its wider skis except for the Mantra maybe to China a year after K2 bought it, but moved manufacture of everything except the wood freeride models back to Germany a couple of years ago. And I think Goats are now back there too. Nobody's saying much, but the world is that appearance QC was a bit touch and go in China, mainly topsheets. Also suspect labor's gotten to be less of a bargain. 

post #78 of 86

Yup; Line (now owned by K2) has become cheap Chinese junk.  Buy from a more reputable company who's sole reason for existing isn't to feed the pockets of the CEO's (K and K) sold out years ago and now K2 is just a company not a ski company.  Both K2 and Line were great skis when they were built in Washington State. It is unfortunate that the greed of the owners has killed a once great set of ski companies.  The European mass producers still do a great job at a low price so consider some of those.  The smaller brands make some excellent skis, but is is difficult to test drive before you buy.

post #79 of 86
Yep, cheap chinese junk that will last 200+ days without a single core shot or delam and still ski well. Ive never heard a single complaint from anyone in person about their quality either. rolleyes.gif

If you hammer your top sheet with the other skis edge thats not poor quality either.
post #80 of 86

Holy thread revival!   ........I got some 2011 Sir Francis Bacons with well over 150 days on them and they still ski fantastic!  Bases are in great shape, some serious knicks on the top edges but those add character and don't affect the skis performance. Upgraded to some Mr. Pollard opus's this season to get a bit wider in the Waist- Big Line fan!  i suspect others opinions have changed since this thread first started.  These guys know how to build skis

post #81 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackke17 View Post
 

Holy thread revival!   ........I got some 2011 Sir Francis Bacons with well over 150 days on them and they still ski fantastic!  Bases are in great shape, some serious knicks on the top edges but those add character and don't affect the skis performance. Upgraded to some Mr. Pollard opus's this season to get a bit wider in the Waist- Big Line fan!  i suspect others opinions have changed since this thread first started.  These guys know how to build skis


my ancient prophet 100s have outlasted my 2 year old beat bonafides, the lines are now my go to ski because they ski just as well as new, sadly there is very little edge left to work with

post #82 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by natrat View Post
 


my ancient prophet 100s have outlasted my 2 year old beat bonafides, the lines are now my go to ski because they ski just as well as new, sadly there is very little edge left to work with

To echo, My Influence 105 is DURABLE. I treat this ski like shit, and it always gives 100 percent. The bases and edges are thick, and the topsheets are durable. The only other brand I ride consistently is ON3P, so I know my durable ski's.

post #83 of 86

All the topsheet durability issues I've ever had were on Heads. But I like they way they ski and buy them anyway.

post #84 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by natrat View Post
 

my ancient prophet 100s have outlasted my 2 year old beat bonafides, the lines are now my go to ski because they ski just as well as new, sadly there is very little edge left to work with

 

Yup, still riding my 6 year old Prophet 100's. They've taken a good licking, but they're still ticking. Pretty solid performers all the way around - very happy customer here!

post #85 of 86

I remember when Toyotas and Hondas were referred to as "Jap crap". 

post #86 of 86
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › LINE skis>>I am disappointed with the quality....