The La Grave model is a little like Silverton, although at Silverton the guiding is run by the lift operator, at La Grave of course it's separate.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- If you could only ski one resort... Last post on 3/9/16 at 8:56am in General Skiing Discussion
- Zermatt vs the rest of Europe Last post on 12/15/14 at 10:55pm in International Zone
- Hardcore top ski area rankings - North America (WITHIN BOUNDARY) Last post on 11/8/12 at 1:47pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Chamonix, and other classic destinations Last post on 10/9/11 at 7:16am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- JH Steep & Deep Camp Last post on 9/2/10 at 11:25am in Ski Instruction & Coaching
EpicSki Interview with Jess McMillan
Last edited: 11/21/16
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass OptionsLast edited: 10/24/16
- Jackson Hole Mountain Resort - An Unofficial Guide to Skiing...Last edited: 10/8/13
- Back Home in the Jackson BackcountryLast edited: 9/12/16
- Jackson Hole Guide To Skiing Jackson Hole Mountain ResortLast edited: 10/25/11
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
This is the most incredibly over-the-top country-club-like resort we've been and we've skied all over USA. It's so cool I took pictures of the bathrooms! Beautifully done. Three gondolas keep...
I went to Maverick the day after a day at Big Sky and what a dramatic difference. As opposed to Big Sky's massive area (which seemed to me to ski much smaller than its size), hard skier packed...
Hardest Ski resort in the world - Page 3post #61 of 6610/25/11 at 3:58am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #62 of 6611/8/11 at 11:15am
Here's a formula: Go to Les Deux Alpes. It's up the road from La Grave. Plenty to ski, then you can go over to La Grave and get a guide, or take the trail down. You could actually ski down from L2A to La Grave at times if conditions are right with guide I think and after a brief cat ride up. I doubt that's for novices, and probably not for intermediates.
They do have a race at La G with costumes and stuff in the spring, so it's doable without extremeness if you want. It does get very serious very quickly though.
I believe the lift there was put in for the summer season, not winter. In the '80's someone convinced them that people would ski there. That area is gorgeous. I've only skied Les 2 Alpes in summer. The town up there i'd sort of rate as the Killington of the Alps, but there is an old village you can take a gondola down to.post #63 of 6611/9/11 at 11:52ampost #64 of 6611/10/11 at 12:41ampost #65 of 6611/10/11 at 10:14ampost #66 of 6611/12/11 at 10:00pmChamonix steep: http://aussieskier.com/index.php/2011/03/tr-chamonix-day-14-couloir-marbrees/
La Grave steep: http://aussieskier.com/index.php/2011/03/tr-day-12-road-trip-les-deux-alpes-couloir/ (The post is titled Deux Alpes but it's accessible from either)
And in the scheme of both those places, these lines really aren't that steep.
At that point it's much of a muchness, both resorts have no limit to the 'difficulty' of their skiing, it depends on the snow & weather to dictate when & how particular lines come in to condition, and also the mentality of the skier going after them.
- Hardest Ski resort in the world
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Mammoth Mountain for 2016-2017 33 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 47 minutes ago
- › Taos Ski Valley 2016-2017 Ski, Stoke, Weather 53 minutes ago
- › How much wax does everyone use? 54 minutes ago
- › Side/base angles: please explain, thanks 1 hour ago
- › Why don't more people carve? (started in "Ski Softly" thread) 1 hour, 15 minutes ago
- › Ski carving how to improve 1 hour, 18 minutes ago
- › Bump turn on flats 1 hour, 21 minutes ago
- › Big Bear 2016-2017 1 hour, 24 minutes ago
- › Sitting in the backseat 1 hour, 44 minutes ago
- › Big Sky by oldgoat
- › Kneebinding Knee Friendly Binding by barunrm
- › Snowbird by MBrady
- › Snowbasin by MBrady
- › Maverick Mountain by Roadrash
- › Lutsen Mountains by comfortstarr
- › Tremblant by jzmtl
- › Panorama Mountain Village by Pacobillie
- › 1988 Salomon SX91 Equipe by vieuxcrouton
- › Mt. Baker by jhkc
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview
- › Fan Traverse Drill
- › Complete Ski Packages - Skip the Rental Line!