Hi! This is my first post after a brief period with lurkdom, and the title says it all. My husband and I are headed to Durango at the end of Feb and we are trying to decide if we should rent boots or buy them while we're there. Here's the lowdown on us:
- We're both beginner skiers but not never-evers. Last year we went to Winter Park and could comfortably ski all the blue-blacks there. I'd say we're between a 5 and 6 depending on the day. We always take lessons, and plan to do so this trip.
- We live in south TX and try to ski every year but of course it's not a given. I would NOT feel comfortable trying to buy boots here, I can't imagine the fitters are worth a patoot.
- We've only ever rented equipment, obviously. H has skied about 10 times in his life (that would be ten trips of a week or so) and me, maybe half that.
- That said, I especially am getting really into it and wouldn't mind making an investment, esp since our closest friends are moving to Utah.
I am leaning towards buying boots once we are in CO but my main fears are:
- getting ripped off in a resort town, esp since we have no experience with this
- having to spend the whole trip breaking in boots and not having any fun. We will have five days to ski.