here is a comeback skier asking for input/advice/experiences on choice of skis.
Have looked around the Net and several forums, I have spotted skis like Atomic Blackeye Ti, Rossignol Avenger Z76/82, Dynastar Sultan 80 among others. Fully aware that choice of skis is very personal, I would still welcome any input on those or other candidates given the background below. Would likewise appreciate advice on preferred length.
Would of course ideally try out several demo skis, but realistically this will not happen due to practical limitations. And I need the skis rather soon...
The background is that I'm more or less starting over after about 10 years with only limited skiing due to work, family, children etc. Have used my old Head Racing SL (200 cm) or rented equipment the few times I've had the opportunity to ski. Used to be a reasonably competent skier (about level 8) with preference for powder and moguls, plus occasional guided runs. Now at 46 I intend to become more active again! Physical data: 6'0'', about 180 lbs, OK shape (but not more). Expect to ski in eastern conditions most of the time, but main events would be a yearly week or two out West or in the Alps.
As I see them today my requirements on the skis are quite contradictory - would need to find an acceptable compromise as I currently only plan to buy one pair. Here are some of my thoughts/preferences in no particular order:
* Really enjoy sking moguls. Not an expert, but the main limiting factor would be physical condition rather than technique...
* Likewise I much enjoy powder, when I am lucky enough to find it. But more careful in leaving the pistes in later years.
* Typically end up skiing groomed pistes most of the time, with or without children. Not at all as fun though!
* Mix of aggressive and more laid-back style of sking, depending on temper, snow condtions, company etc.
* Skis must be decent in hard/icy conditions, as these are quite common where I ski.
Thanks in advance for any enlightening replies!