or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Musty boots

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

I know I don't dry my boots like I should as often as I should.  And they get a tad musty inside.

 

Now that would not normally be an issue as I stick my feet in my boots, not my nose.  But let me relate yesterday's stupidity.

 

I was leaving yesterday afternoon for some night skiing and I noticed by boots still a tad wet inside in the toes from Saturday.  I don't have time to put them on the drier fans and hang out for an hour.  So, I bring them in the car; put them on the front seat; put the drier fans on (running off the outlet lighter with inverter); and I let them run for the hour drive up to the mountain.

 

So now I have fans running in the boots but I'm in the confined space of my car.  I have mold allergies.  By the time I got to the mountain, my nose is completely clogged, my eyes and face itch, and I can almost feel my pulse in the sinuses in my cheeks and forehead.  Ugh, I was miserable all night and I'm just starting to feel better now, about 16 hours later.

 

I guess I won't run the fans when I'm in the room any more.

 

Anyone have any tips for sanitizing the insides of boots?

 

-l2t

post #2 of 9

look into anti-fungals made for shoes. also, always wear clean socks, and of course, dry boots daily. 

post #3 of 9

A sheet of fabric softner (like "Bounce") in each boot works pretty well in between "real dryings".

post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawBrat View Post

A sheet of fabric softner (like "Bounce") in each boot works pretty well in between "real dryings".



I'd try spraying them with Fabreeze.  Remove the liners and give them a good shot inside and out.

post #5 of 9

Yes! Glad to finally see an opportunity to contribute here. Get some borax powder, the type used to kill roaches. It's available at hardware stores. Sprinkle this in your boots like foot powder when the mold is active. Wait a while and then vacuum it out (If your vacuum will exhaust dust everywhere, vacuum it out away from areas where toddlers or kids go.)

 

Here is the treatise:

 

Borax is the only thing I know of that actually kills mold. That bleachy stuff for showers and sinks only bleaches mold -- it does not kill it. That's why it always comes back. Perfumed products don't kill the moldy stink it or keep it away (because they want you to keep buying those things, I think).

 

I'm on the extreme side of avoiding toxic or questionable chemicals so I'll tell you what I think of that side of it. It's relatively nontoxic and hasn't been proven to be carcinogenic. Avoid breathing or ingesting it, touching it too much and keep high quantities of it away from kids and pregnant women. In high chronic doses it can cause problems. People sprinkle it in carpets to kill fleas, but I personally wouldn't. I do use it to wash my dish towels and rags, and whenever mold or organic stink pops up. It can possibly irritate your skin, but I haven't found that to be the case. It's a salt of the element boron, and fairly "natural".

 

I know this after tons of searching for the right product to kill black mold. I didn't want to call expensive mold abatement contractors. I scrubbed it all off with Borax (for laundry) and none has returned. Amazing stuff. I've used the roach-rid type in repairing dry-rot, and inside walls where I've seen carpenter ants.

post #6 of 9

I use this stuff - WIN.  It's a special anti-bacterial detergent that's designed to kill the 'nasties' that tend to accumulate in sports gear.  You can actually see it physically react with the bacteria, etc. on the article you're washing.  I use it on things like my sports sandals when they get funky, face cloths that get funky over time even with repeated washings, etc.

 

For a ski boot liner you just need to add some WIN to water in your kitchen sink (make it extra strength to be sure) and soak the liners in it for 20-30 minutes.  The product is bio-degradable and non-toxic to you, but it's death to the 'nasties' in your liners.

post #7 of 9

How come people are missing this one?

post #8 of 9

Cat pee, bacteria and mold are all totally different problems with totally different solutions: Nature's Miracle, sunshine and/or lemon juice, borax.

post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinB View Post

Cat pee, bacteria and mold are all totally different problems with totally different solutions: Nature's Miracle, sunshine and/or lemon juice, borax.


I've heard Apple Cider Vinegar has the right enzymes to get rid of cat pee, but as the thread recommends, getting rid of the cat will make you feel better too.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion