EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › 2011-2012 Rossignol S7 sneaking into ski shops
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2011-2012 Rossignol S7 sneaking into ski shops

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 

I just saw the new 2011-2012 Rossignol S7 and Super S7 at a local ski shop !  Construction and dimensions are the same, new top sheet graphics, no more flaming birdhouses - more of a black on black, muted look...... I should of taken a few photos to post.   Also looks like Rossi will be coming out with a womens S7 for 2012- with Asian inspired graphics - don't know details of dimensions though.

post #2 of 25

It's just wrong that 2012 skis are at the shops in January of '11......  nonono2.gif

post #3 of 25

no different than Christmas music before Thanksgivingth_dunno-1[1].gif

post #4 of 25

2011 has been sold out for months, so why is this a problem? I have to say though, I hate the new topsheet. Looks like a K2. Thanks Tim Petrick.

post #5 of 25

where's the new topsheet shown? I'm curious. and is this an S7 or  the larger stiffer more metal S7, super?

post #6 of 25

It is the Super 7 that is sneaking in...188 and 195's Start Haus has them in stock and the usual Epic discounts apply. 

post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post

It's just wrong that 2012 skis are at the shops in January of '11......  nonono2.gif



Yah, god forbid prospective buyers actually have another chance to buy a popular ski that has been sold out.

post #8 of 25

The point is that they are only sold out because they're not making many skis for fear of having leftovers....soon we'll be 2 model years ahead. If they stop changing graphics every year this can all be avoided.....

post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post

The point is that they are only sold out because they're not making many skis for fear of having leftovers....


Good! Leftovers were killing retailers and manufacturers alike.

post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post

The point is that they are only sold out because they're not making many skis for fear of having leftovers....


Good! Leftovers were killing retailers and manufacturers alike.



That may be true.....but skiers like it. If you don't feel the need to be on the third new graphics for the exact same ski, there were deals to be had. I'm ok if retailers only make 20% on a pair of skis instead of 50%.......

post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOJ View Post

more of a black on black, muted look...... I should of taken a few photos to post.   Also looks like Rossi will be coming out with a womens S7 for 2012- with Asian inspired graphics - don't know details of dimensions though.


Skulls, actually. Wow, no one's ever tried that before.

 

Thought the 110SW, with "Asian inspired" graphics was the women's S7??

post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post

The point is that they are only sold out because they're not making many skis for fear of having leftovers....


Good! Leftovers were killing retailers and manufacturers alike.



That may be true.....but skiers like it. If you don't feel the need to be on the third new graphics for the exact same ski, there were deals to be had. I'm ok if retailers only make 20% on a pair of skis instead of 50%.......

Given that the larger manufacturers do most of their business as rentals, and that a ski like the S7 is still a niche ski. I don't have a problem with it. The ski is what people will pay for it. Like everything else in this world. Why the hell shouldn't they re-issue or release next years if there is a demand for it? They are trying to run a business, not satisfy the bargain basement market.
 

post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecimmortal View Post
Given that the larger manufacturers do most of their business as rentals, and that a ski like the S7 is still a niche ski. I don't have a problem with it. The ski is what people will pay for it. Like everything else in this world. Why the hell shouldn't they re-issue or release next years if there is a demand for it? They are trying to run a business, not satisfy the bargain basement market.
 


Given that they are running out of skis in mid January of the model year, I'd say they are not doing a very good job.....
 

post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by ecimmortal View Post
Given that the larger manufacturers do most of their business as rentals, and that a ski like the S7 is still a niche ski. I don't have a problem with it. The ski is what people will pay for it. Like everything else in this world. Why the hell shouldn't they re-issue or release next years if there is a demand for it? They are trying to run a business, not satisfy the bargain basement market.
 


Given that they are running out of skis in mid January of the model year, I'd say they are not doing a very good job.....
 



looks to me like they are doing a fine job, sold out of stuff that went for close to full price allowing the retailer to pay their staff and overhead maybe with some leftover to buy next years stuff and actually be there next season. works for me.

post #15 of 25

^^^^ What he said. Look how close Rossi was to folding a couple of years ago. Making excess product that lays around around until you and I can buy it for half price may make us feel clever, but it's not a recipe for either company's or retailers' survival. 

post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post

^^^^ What he said. Look how close Rossi was to folding a couple of years ago. Making excess product that lays around around until you and I can buy it for half price may make us feel clever, but it's not a recipe for either company's or retailers' survival. 



 I'm more interested in the SKIERS survival........

post #17 of 25
Thread Starter 

To clarify:

 

I saw both the 2011 - 2012  S7 and Super S7.  

 

S7 is black on black - stare at it long enough you see a dogs face, maybe there's a skull in there too, but I only saw the dog!  He's also on the base !

 

You can find pics of the Super S7 online and in some ski shops - but the regular S7, only saw it in one shop, no online pics yet.

 

The Asian inspired is a new Womens S7 - I  only saw a picture of it, not the actual ski.  

 

post #18 of 25

FWIW....................

 

I just touched down in Denver and will be attending Day One of the SIA show tomorrow. Among our agendas for our meetings throughout the show will be congratulations to the manufacturers who managed their inventory (such as Rossignol) among others. An intro of a 2012 ski right now makes sense in light of the near complete sell out of the 2011 ski in question. These skis (rather few units, BTW) will be available to cover the unsatisfied demand. Since they are 2012 skis and carry next years dating there will be little motivation for the retailer to discount any of these that are left over in April. This is a healthy business plan for all the players involved. Some mfrs are still overproducing in order to feed the internet market so there will always be deals but in much smaller numbers and on a much narrower mix of products. 

 

This is a win-win for everybody.

 

SJ

post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post

This is a win-win for everybody.

Except for us biggrin.gif...  

 

But...I still love your shop!  

post #20 of 25

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post

FWIW....................

 

I just touched down in Denver and will be attending Day One of the SIA show tomorrow. Among our agendas for our meetings throughout the show will be congratulations to the manufacturers who managed their inventory (such as Rossignol) among others. An intro of a 2012 ski right now makes sense in light of the near complete sell out of the 2011 ski in question. These skis (rather few units, BTW) will be available to cover the unsatisfied demand. Since they are 2012 skis and carry next years dating there will be little motivation for the retailer to discount any of these that are left over in April. This is a healthy business plan for all the players involved. Some mfrs are still overproducing in order to feed the internet market so there will always be deals but in much smaller numbers and on a much narrower mix of products. 

 

This is a win-win for everybody.

 

SJ



RIIIGGGHHHHT....

 

Don't get me wrong, I certainly want you and most of your compadres to survive and do business -- but I'm not completely sure that what you describe above is a WIN for us poor consumers.  I'm pretty happy when I can buy NOS inventory at cheaper prices.

 

And while I'm at it, I've never been exactly sure why a couple of layers of metal and fiberglass have to cost $800.

post #21 of 25

S7 & Super 7's are in stock, just ask Phil.  But not all shops got them and if they did, it was in limited quantities.

 

As predicted, many shops carried a lot less ski inventory this season than the past few years, which as you've seen with this year's top skis many are already sold out. So this is going to also mean less deals this spring, summer & fall as the shops won't have as much excess to blow out. 

post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOJ View Post

...no more flaming birdhouses - more of a black on black, muted look...... I should of taken a few photos to post.  

 

I saw your post and couldn't help but to burst into laughter. I've been contemplating the S7 for quite some time, but simply couldn't pull the trigger with that ugly teething-alien thing and the flaming birdhouse on tree branch. Performance is prime consideration for selecting skis, but looks are important too!!

 

Anyway, over the weekend I demoed them again in Whistler, afterwards happened to stop by the resort shop – lo-behold the 2012 is in stock (last pair in 188) --- so with the new grahpics (by Will Barras, again) it sealed the deal. Like you said, it’s muted, and skulls and dogs. The Super 7 (available now in both 188 and 195) has similar backgound, more elaborate graphics, but is white and green in color primarily. Here’s a photo of the 2012 S7 mounted:

 

2012 S7.JPG

post #23 of 25


Do what we call a "Kastle"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post

If they stop changing graphics every year this can all be avoided.....

post #24 of 25

Just bought a pair of the 2012s and took them to Tahoe for the epic dump last week.  This is a great ski and very versatile.

post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

Just bought a pair of the 2012s and took them to Tahoe for the epic dump last week.  This is a great ski and very versatile.


 

Congratulations!  I bought mine about two weeks ago and they got an extensive workout during and after the storms.  What a blast!


 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › 2011-2012 Rossignol S7 sneaking into ski shops