EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Best Oakley lens for flat light?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Oakley lens for flat light?

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 

I know the Smith Sensor Mirrors seem to be everyone's choice for flat light, but I hate to waste a perfectly good pair of Oakley Wisdoms.  Does Oakley offer something comparable to the Sensor Mirror, even if it's it's not quite as good?

 

Also, any good resources for buying Oakley replacement lenses?  Seems like they want $70 or so for most of their lenses, which is probably more than I paid for the goggles.

 

Thanks

post #2 of 26

I currently use the Oakley Wisdom Persimmon lens ($40) for most day conditions, and find that it works fairly well for flat light unless it is severely overcast.  I will typically switch to H.I. Yellow for really low light or night skiing.  Unfortunately I think they discontinued the Wisdom series a couple years ago, so the cheaper lenses are getting increasingly difficult to find.  A quick google search for the persimmon lens turned up a few hits, though the few websites that claim to have them look a little sketchy.

 

You can always preview the lenses here (http://www.oakley.com/innovation/optical-superiority/lens-tints) though you can't adjust lighting conditions, and perhaps you might be able to find one you like on ebay or another site.

 

Good luck, I probably won't be using my wisdoms for much longer, the foam padding is starting to fall off.  I'd offer to sell you my persimmon lens but it's pretty beat up after ~6-7 years of use.

post #3 of 26
Thread Starter 

Thanks.  I might just replace them.  They didn't fit my Giro helmet very well anyway, so maybe I'm better off looking at Smiths.  

 

Do goggles typically go on sale in February like skis?  I might just wait...

post #4 of 26

I would assume so.  I'm hoping to get a deal on some new goggles as well.  My current pairs days are numbered.

post #5 of 26

Flat light- Persimmon is OK.  Hi-Yellow is hands-down the best lens on the market for storms days.  I am a fan of Smith these days but I keep my Oakley Hi-Yellow goggles for the storm days.  Subjectively, Oakley lens quality is better than Smith across the spectrum, but the difference may not be meaningful.  But the Hi-Yellow does stand out as there is nothing out there that works as well, it is almost like having headlights on.  

post #6 of 26

Disclaimer - I'm moderately colorblind (as are many males), and I think that affects my ability in flat and low light, but for me, either the Oakley high intensity yellow, or high intensity persimmon (yes, they're different than the "regular" persimmon), are really good for flat light, and skiing Whistler a lot, I have (too much) experience with flat light.

 

I also have the Sensor mirrors, and they're very good, but I like the Oakley rounded shape of the lens, which just seems more comfortable.

 

If you can wait a bit, keep an eye on SAC, and you'll get a-frames and Wisdom's in the $50-$70 range, but be VERY quick about making your selection when they become available.

post #7 of 26

Check out mbstores.com for Oakley at better prices.  I've been happy with the blue iridium on all but the darkest days.  I can't say it's a miracle for flat light, though.  In my experience, flat light is a lack of directionality and/or shadow.  It's hard to imagine a tint changing that.  Perhaps polarized lenses help, but I haven't tried them.

post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xela View Post

Check out mbstores.com for Oakley at better prices.  I've been happy with the blue iridium on all but the darkest days.  I can't say it's a miracle for flat light, though.  In my experience, flat light is a lack of directionality and/or shadow.  It's hard to imagine a tint changing that.  Perhaps polarized lenses help, but I haven't tried them.


Maybe you should actually try some of the lenses mentioned.

post #9 of 26

The HI Yellow is the best oakley lens I've tried for flat light, however I don't think it's really all that great.  I've been wanting to pick up a pair of smith goggles with the sensor mirror to compare as some people think it's a better flat light lens than the HI Yellow.  I have heard that the HI Persimmon is almost as good as the yellow for flat light, but better as an all around tint because it's a touch darker.  The HI Yellow is just about useless on a sunny day, so you have to have a second pair of goggles.  I've also read that the sensor mirror works better than the HI Yellow as an every day tint, another reason I've been wanting to try it out.

 

So, to answer your question, the HI Yellow is oakley's best flat light tint, IMO, but it ain't all that great.  Flat light is just tough, all around.

post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaobrien6 View Post

The HI Yellow is the best oakley lens I've tried for flat light, however I don't think it's really all that great.  I've been wanting to pick up a pair of smith goggles with the sensor mirror to compare as some people think it's a better flat light lens than the HI Yellow.  I have heard that the HI Persimmon is almost as good as the yellow for flat light, but better as an all around tint because it's a touch darker.  The HI Yellow is just about useless on a sunny day, so you have to have a second pair of goggles.  I've also read that the sensor mirror works better than the HI Yellow as an every day tint, another reason I've been wanting to try it out.

 

So, to answer your question, the HI Yellow is oakley's best flat light tint, IMO, but it ain't all that great.  Flat light is just tough, all around.

On Hood storm days I carry sensor mirrors, and Oakley Hi-vis yellow. When it gets REALLY bad I go to the yellow. Just saying. But I also have no problem carrying a couple extra ounces in my pack.
 

post #11 of 26

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecimmortal View Post

On Hood storm days I carry sensor mirrors, and Oakley Hi-vis yellow. When it gets REALLY bad I go to the yellow. Just saying. But I also have no problem carrying a couple extra ounces in my pack.
 


Interesting, good to know.  Well, I'm still gonna keep my eye on SAC and pick up a pair of sensor mirrors when I get a chance, to try them out for myself.

post #12 of 26

Yah, I don't buy goggs, or much of anything unless they are on sale. For the price of 1 pair of I/O's in the winter, I can get 3 in the summer.

post #13 of 26

ecimmortal, which do you recommend?  My experience is primarily with the persimmon and blue iridium.

post #14 of 26

Sensor Mirror is more of an all-around tint, this is what I use most these days.  The Smith storm day lens is called Igniter.  IMO, Hi-Yellow is much better.  I think Smith makes another darker lens tint for real sunny days, I wish the I/O came with that lens and Igniter.  

 

P.S.  Of course flat light will suck no matter what.  

 

P.P.S.  ecimmortal- this year maybe different for gear- a lot of retailers scaled way back and they are getting sold out a lot earlier, so you may not see as many deals (or as good deals) in summer.

post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexzn View Post

Sensor Mirror is more of an all-around tint, this is what I use most these days.  The Smith storm day lens is called Igniter.  IMO, Hi-Yellow is much better.  I think Smith makes another darker lens tint for real sunny days, I wish the I/O came with that lens and Igniter.  

 

P.S.  Of course flat light will suck no matter what.  

 

P.P.S.  ecimmortal- this year maybe different for gear- a lot of retailers scaled way back and they are getting sold out a lot earlier, so you may not see as many deals (or as good deals) in summer.

I correct myself.....I use the igniter, and Oakley yellow.

 

 

P.S. I'm well stocked on goggles/lenses.
 

post #16 of 26

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecimmortal View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexzn View Post

Sensor Mirror is more of an all-around tint, this is what I use most these days.  The Smith storm day lens is called Igniter.  IMO, Hi-Yellow is much better.  I think Smith makes another darker lens tint for real sunny days, I wish the I/O came with that lens and Igniter.  

 

P.S.  Of course flat light will suck no matter what.  

 

P.P.S.  ecimmortal- this year maybe different for gear- a lot of retailers scaled way back and they are getting sold out a lot earlier, so you may not see as many deals (or as good deals) in summer.

I correct myself.....I use the igniter, and Oakley yellow.

 

 

P.S. I'm well stocked on goggles/lenses.
 


Are you guys sure about that?  The Sensor Mirror is definitely the tint I see everyone talk about for flat light.  And if you look at the smith website, the Sensor Mirror is 70% light transmission and the Ignitor Mirror is 35% light transmission.  They also say the Sensor is good for low/medium light, and the Ignitor is good for low/medium/bright.  alexzn, I'm pretty sure you've got them mixed up.

post #17 of 26

There is a lot of personal preference involved in this topic. Everyone in my family hated the Oakley HI Yellow (which is sort of more of a weird blue). I actually got headaches from it. There was some solid love for the HI Persimmons though. IMO better in low/flat light than the Yellow & it carried further into the bright range. YMMV

 

These days I'm a fan of the Smith Sensor Mirrors for low/flat light and the Ignitors for a little more all-around. Unless I am grossly mistaken, the lens pre-installed on most I/O "models" is the Ignitor & the more flat light Sensor ships in the case.

post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post

There is a lot of personal preference involved in this topic. Everyone in my family hated the Oakley HI Yellow (which is sort of more of a weird blue). I actually got headaches from it. There was some solid love for the HI Persimmons though. IMO better in low/flat light than the Yellow & it carried further into the bright range. YMMV

 

These days I'm a fan of the Smith Sensor Mirrors for low/flat light and the Ignitors for a little more all-around. Unless I am grossly mistaken, the lens pre-installed on most I/O "models" is the Ignitor & the more flat light Sensor ships in the case.

I'm just all messed up with the names now....The Smith with the blue reflective surface.
 

post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaobrien6 View Post

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecimmortal View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexzn View Post

Sensor Mirror is more of an all-around tint, this is what I use most these days.  The Smith storm day lens is called Igniter.  IMO, Hi-Yellow is much better.  I think Smith makes another darker lens tint for real sunny days, I wish the I/O came with that lens and Igniter.  

 

P.S.  Of course flat light will suck no matter what.  

 

P.P.S.  ecimmortal- this year maybe different for gear- a lot of retailers scaled way back and they are getting sold out a lot earlier, so you may not see as many deals (or as good deals) in summer.

I correct myself.....I use the igniter, and Oakley yellow.

 

 

P.S. I'm well stocked on goggles/lenses.
 


Are you guys sure about that?  The Sensor Mirror is definitely the tint I see everyone talk about for flat light.  And if you look at the smith website, the Sensor Mirror is 70% light transmission and the Ignitor Mirror is 35% light transmission.  They also say the Sensor is good for low/medium light, and the Ignitor is good for low/medium/bright.  alexzn, I'm pretty sure you've got them mixed up.

Correct.  Thanks for catching that!
 

post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
. Everyone in my family hated the Oakley HI Yellow (which is sort of more of a weird blue). 


HI Yellow actually looks yellow, not blue...

 

Well...

worthless.gif

post #21 of 26

Just get the I/O's extra lenses are like $40, but they come with a day and night lens

post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexzn View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
. Everyone in my family hated the Oakley HI Yellow (which is sort of more of a weird blue). 


HI Yellow actually looks yellow, not blue...

 

Well...

worthless.gif



Sigh. Check out these images from the Oakley site:

 

4c20eb6d82585.jpg

 

4c2cdade5135a.jpg

 

You can find others around as well. Under many conditions the HI Yellow actually yields a weird blue/purple cast to things - per the blue-ish parts of the lenses in the Oakley pics..

 

post #23 of 26

I think the website exaggerates the bluish glare.  That glare is there, but the lens is still yellow as opposed to the blue in, say some POC goggles. 

post #24 of 26


 

Definitely exaggerated.  A hint of blue is just about it.  When you're looking through them they don't have any blue.  (Would include a camera shot of the view through the lens but the auto-balance just messes the colors up.)

IMG_0036.JPG


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexzn View Post

I think the website exaggerates the bluish glare.  That glare is there, but the lens is still yellow as opposed to the blue in, say some POC goggles.

post #25 of 26

Never seen blue (again, I'm colorblind) in my many pairs of HI Yellow Oakley's.

post #26 of 26

My fav's for flat light are the HI Yellow and the Pink Iridium. I expected the Pink to be much darker than it is. I wear it on storm days only (just like the Yellow).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Best Oakley lens for flat light?