or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Like Nordica Enforcer, only slightly different
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Like Nordica Enforcer, only slightly different

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I spent the last two days in Colorado demoing skis. I was looking for a replacement to my Rossi B2's and Legend 8k's. I found several worthy contenders, and am looking to buy the Sultan 85.

This morning we woke up to fresh powder. I went to the demo place and asked for some fatter skis as I have never skied anything wider than an 80mm waist. I was given a pair of Nordica Enforcers in 177. I absolutely loved these skis. They were good in powder, they blew through crud, and they were very stable. They did not feel heavy at all, even with demo bindings. They were not a real demanding ski, and you could sit back and ride them at times. The only thing I did not like was the fact that they did not like to do shorter turns. They wanted to make medium/long turns and they wanted to do them at a very high speed. I think they may be a little cumbersome in the trees. The longer turning aspect also caused problems when heading back to the lift and the run was full of people. It was harder to slow down and take my time. I skied them all morning.

I returned them and asked if there was anything comparable that was also comfortable making shorter turns. The shop suggested the Shogun. (I think they were around 180). They were able to make short turns very well, but overall I did not like them. They just seemed a little squirrily. They were not as comfortable at speed, and did not bust the crud as well. They also seemed extremely heavy. I tried one more ski, a Head product that was very forgettable. When I brought them back it was later in the day and my legs were burning so I did not take anything else out. The guy at the shop suggested the Mantra in 177. But in reading this forum, I have seen many posts detailing the fact that the Mantra is very different than the Enforcer.

I would like to buy a ski for these types of days. Any suggestions on a ski that has the characteristics of the Enforcer, but is also able to do some shorter turns when necessary?
post #2 of 11

Among skis in the width range you are talking about, the Enforcer is among the most nimble. The Mantra is quite a bit stiffer than the Enforcer and is less versatile and nimble feeling so that won't give you what you want. The Blizzrd "One" is a fun, nimble ski at 98mm width and might fill the bill in 177. The One is rockered but the rise is much less than the Shogun and it is stable enough for most folks if you ski with some edge angle.

 

You don't state your size so a shorter ski may or may not be appropriate but you might consider that option. An Enforcer in 169 might be a good choice or possibly a Sultan 94 in a 172. Phil P who works with me is an average sized guy and he owns a Sultan 94 in 172 and finds it to be a fun and versatile ski.

 

SJ

post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Thanks Jim.
I am 5'10", 220lbs, and 43 years old. I am not as aggressive as I used to be; and I never was a real hard charger. They had 169's in the shop, and I though about trying them, but the demo was not available. It seemed like the demo bingings were pretty far forward. Maybe I could try the 169's and mount them back a little?
post #4 of 11

At your weight, the shorter sizes are not appropriate. You have three realistic options.

 

1) Live with the level of quickness that the Enforcer offers.

2) Live with the Shogun (try it again and get your feet apart so you can get it on edge)

3) Go for a narrower ski to get quicker and more nimble (Line P-90, Sultan)

 

SJ

post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post

Among skis in the width range you are talking about, the Enforcer is among the most nimble. The Mantra is quite a bit stiffer than the Enforcer and is less versatile and nimble feeling so that won't give you what you want. The Blizzrd "One" is a fun, nimble ski at 98mm width and might fill the bill in 177. The One is rockered but the rise is much less than the Shogun and it is stable enough for most folks if you ski with some edge angle.

 

You don't state your size so a shorter ski may or may not be appropriate but you might consider that option. An Enforcer in 169 might be a good choice or possibly a Sultan 94 in a 172. Phil P who works with me is an average sized guy and he owns a Sultan 94 in 172 and finds it to be a fun and versatile ski.

 

SJ

Actually, I a skiing it in a 178 and [throwing down G.N.A.R.] I am totally the most average guy on the forum [/throwing down G.N.A.R.]. I do find it much more nimble and playful than the Enforcer/Mantra/ect skis which while are more stable at speed and better on hard snow (I have a ski for that), the Sultan is more tossible.  I would throw the Blizzard Atlas in the mix as a Enforcer class ski. 


 

post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
The Sultan 85's I had decided on were 178's. Sounds like I should demo the 94 in that length. Given the dimensions, the float should be close to the Enforcers.
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt7180 View Post

The Sultan 85's I had decided on were 178's. Sounds like I should demo the 94 in that length. Given the dimensions, the float should be close to the Enforcers.


Yup. Great choice. 

post #8 of 11

I have a pair of the original (all red) Enforcers in a 177 and love them.  Although I own several pairs of skis, I consider the Enforcer the best all round ski for my home ski area, Squaw Valley.  Only thing I could have done without is the twin tip, which the 2011s have eliminated (I'm glad).  I'm considering replacing them with the 2011 model in 177.  I ski pow, crud, bumps, steeps and groomed run outs - they perform will in all those conditions.  No complaints.  There are a ton of Volkl Mantras on the hill, so I'm kind of considering those as well.  I'm 5'9", 155, fit and ski fast, and am an ex Masters racer.  Any personal experience and advice is welcome!

post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
I tested the Sultan 94's yesterday. A very nice ski, and they could definitely do short turns better. But the grin factor wasn't there like with the Enforcers. They truly made me laugh like a little kid when skiing them.

My first couple of runs yesterday were in 17 of fresh powder. I quickly realized that I did not want to have another powder day like that without some fatter skis. So after trying the Sultans, I skied back to the shop and bought the Enforcers in 177 with Griffon bindings. I can't wait till next trip out to try them.

Feeling very satisfied with my purchase, I hopped on the lift to take a few soft bump runs. The two guys beside me were in thier late 50's or early 60's. One had 190 something Olins and the other had 191 old straight Atomics. We get off the lift, and as I stop at the top of the bump run, I see them coming. They shoot past me and head down the run with big grins on their face. I guess it is all relative.
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawGuy View Post

I have a pair of the original (all red) Enforcers in a 177 and love them.  Although I own several pairs of skis, I consider the Enforcer the best all round ski for my home ski area, Squaw Valley.  Only thing I could have done without is the twin tip, which the 2011s have eliminated (I'm glad).  I'm considering replacing them with the 2011 model in 177.  I ski pow, crud, bumps, steeps and groomed run outs - they perform will in all those conditions.  No complaints.  There are a ton of Volkl Mantras on the hill, so I'm kind of considering those as well.  I'm 5'9", 155, fit and ski fast, and am an ex Masters racer.  Any personal experience and advice is welcome!


Mantras are a calling card for Squaw but there are some great (and better) alternatives with the S94 and Enforcer being two of them. Feel free to stop by The Start Haus in Truckee and see Sierra Jim (above) or myself for some additional ideas.

post #11 of 11

I bought some 07 red enforcers from start haus during their summer sale. What a good purchase. They rail. in powder they are refreshing and in crud they rock. I would not call these a soft or a light ski though. I have them in 177 as well. The tails are very stiff when compared to all the new skis on the market ( Rossi S6, S7, sultans). Given that I have always skiied race skis for the most par. These felt right at home, Icy bumps can be a handful with the stiffness, but otherwise i love them.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Like Nordica Enforcer, only slightly different