or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Anyone still ski and love vintage equipment?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone still ski and love vintage equipment? - Page 2

post #31 of 202

How could a ski movie fail so badly when it was filmed in Deadwood, South Dakota, USA. Isn't that ski central?

post #32 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastersRacer View Post

How could a ski movie fail so badly when it was filmed in Deadwood, South Dakota, USA. Isn't that ski central?


For South Dakota it is.  Perry Peak, up there is not a half bad little ski area. It is not JH or anything like that, but the best skiing I ever had in SD.  Just don't stop in Deadwood on the way through.

 

post #33 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post




For South Dakota it is.  Perry Peak, up there is not a half bad little ski area. It is not JH or anything like that, but the best skiing I ever had in SD.  Just don't stop in Deadwood on the way through.

 




What's wrong with Deadwood? I thought it was kind of a cool little town when I drove through it

post #34 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malazan View Post



What's wrong with Deadwood? I thought it was kind of a cool little town when I drove through it



It is.  It was just kind of expensive place for me to stop, with all of those casinos lined up like that.  frown.gif

post #35 of 202

Eric,

    What would it take to get you to part with those Kastle Sprints? They are from 1971 and were my first "modern" skis - purchased at Shaw's General Store in Stowe, VT when I was in 3rd grade. (yep, that's Tiger Shaw's family biz). I used to go to school with him right behind the store. You can keep the bindings if you want since mine had Salomon step-ins, can't remember the number. Sold the skis to a beginner when I was in high school and had bought some navy blue Hart Freestyles (looking for those too). Email me at doremusjessupATvermont.usa.com if interested. Thanks.

 

- DJ

post #36 of 202

,

post #37 of 202

Eperot, Eric,

 

I have a pair of 207 Dynastar Course skis, the gold ones with the red balls on the tips in my basement. Skied on em about 2 years ago. Also have a pair of Look N77 bindings in decent shape. If you want I can send a picture.

 

I have been skiing on Elan 205 Comprex RS skis for a number of years (Marker MRR bindings). Had kids and decided I didn't need to upgrade. I have skied all over the world on my Elan's and consider myself an expert skier. Since I don't know what I have been missing for a while, I don't worry about it, I just have a blast skiing on what I own.

 

This year I have finally upgraded and bought some Ullr's Chariots. I haven't skied them yet, but soon I will sample the forbidden fruit!!!!!!

post #38 of 202

So I had to reply to this post which I just saw. I am still skiing on a pair of vintage 189 hart sl's circa 1990.  Solomon 957's and technica boots.  My only complaint 20 years or so later is the miserable feeling I get every time I put the boots on. Used them last weekend, everytime I wear them so clown has something to say, but I am committed to them.. It is about time to get something new but with all of the changes I am certainly not ready to change.

 

I ran into a problem recently in that my local ski shop will not work on them, telling me that its an insurance thing.  I feel they are trying to force a sale of a new package on me any thoughts????

 

It really pissed me off, after all this time now they wont work on them....

post #39 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspoEsq View Post

So I had to reply to this post which I just saw. I am still skiing on a pair of vintage 189 hart sl's circa 1990.  Solomon 957's and technica boots.  My only complaint 20 years or so later is the miserable feeling I get every time I put the boots on. Used them last weekend, everytime I wear them so clown has something to say, but I am committed to them.. It is about time to get something new but with all of the changes I am certainly not ready to change.

 

I ran into a problem recently in that my local ski shop will not work on them, telling me that its an insurance thing.  I feel they are trying to force a sale of a new package on me any thoughts????

 

It really pissed me off, after all this time now they wont work on them....


It IS an an insurance "thing". They can still tune the skis, work on the boots but they cannot touch the bindings. I will say, be careful with the boots, plastics from that timeframe were not very good and to have a   habit of just cracking and falling apart, but this is just one clowns opinion. rolleyes.gif. If the boots are making you miserable, why are you still wearing them? confused.gif

 

post #40 of 202

You are talking to the chorus! Lol

 

Looking for 160 cm Olin Mark IV  -- flex with binder

 

Please advise!

 

Victor

post #41 of 202

I have a pair of Super-G skis that are 4 seasons old. Still run them when the occasion permits. I also have GS and SL skis from that date back to the 2009/10 season.

post #42 of 202

I don't miss my Marker Rotomat bindings that were hardly safe, or boot-to-ski toe units with no anti-friction devices.

 

I do miss the old, simple graphics on skis. New skis and bindings are remarkably safe compared to the crappy cable bindings I first learned to ski on.

 

"Vintage" is a relative term...

 

I learned to ski on wooden laminate skis, Northlands I think they were, with segmented edges screwed into the bottom of the ski. Talk about drag and resistance on the snow...

post #43 of 202

I miss my Dynastar assault verticals!   1992 I think,  Skied them until they literally were missing several feet of edges on each side, (summer rock skis during the last couple of years)

post #44 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddy View Post

I miss my Dynastar assault verticals!   1992 I think,  Skied them until they literally were missing several feet of edges on each side, (summer rock skis during the last couple of years)



There is a guy at Northstar that is skiing V9 Verticals. I was riding the lift with him one day and commented on his skis..and bindings (Salomon 747's) and mentioned that while I thought the skis were cool, the bindings were know to blow apart at their age and that he should consider replacing them. He said one heel already did, so he replaced it. with a 737 heel. D'oh. nonono2.gif.

 

BTW, his buddy skis on G9's, not a bad ski from that same era. 

post #45 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspoEsq View Post

So I had to reply to this post which I just saw. I am still skiing on a pair of vintage 189 hart sl's circa 1990.  Solomon 957's and technica boots.  My only complaint 20 years or so later is the miserable feeling I get every time I put the boots on. Used them last weekend, everytime I wear them so clown has something to say, but I am committed to them.. It is about time to get something new but with all of the changes I am certainly not ready to change.

 

I ran into a problem recently in that my local ski shop will not work on them, telling me that its an insurance thing.  I feel they are trying to force a sale of a new package on me any thoughts????

 

It really pissed me off, after all this time now they wont work on them....


Switched this year from 205 Blizzard RS (1990 Vintage) to '10 Dynastar Speed Course WC 176's....Love them.  Also switch my boots from '94 Rossi Course E's Flex about 160-170 range (hardly any flex at room temperature) to '08 Lange WC 130 WC fit NOS boots.  Both boots worked well, but the deal was right. My Nephew is using the Rossi as a temp boots while his feet are still growing (or they break) and they are better (performance wise) compared to what he was skiing.  High performance boots definitely helped him. (It's fun watching the glow in the eyes, whensomeone hits the next level with a little change)

 

The old stuff is great but you definitely love the high performance new skis (like you're young again, just popping the turns), definitely go towards the high end, and look for NOS (new old stock) their are deals out there, that make it worth while.  New ski's, boots and bindings $350 all in.  Retail List about $2,900.00 (Sorry shop owners, have kids, therefore a restricted budget, gotta get the deals, rather spend the monies on tickets, tune ups and boot fitting).

 


 

 

post #46 of 202

Blizzard Thermo RS, 207cm with Tyrolia 390 RD - still blows away everyone on the hill. Love them. Parabolics Blow.

post #47 of 202

Gang, I've been looking forward to chiming in on this topic for a while. I started skiing in 1970 and just fell in love with the sport and all the cool equipment. I worked in ski shops in the Denver area, eventually co-owned my own ski shop (Turning Point Sports). Helped developed and built skis with Bob Lange at the RBL Company in Boulder. Even spent a lot of winters at Winter Park as a coach in the "Winter Park Freestyle Society"...yup before it joined the comp center. The current story is about a pair of THE Ski's that I was lucky enough to get from the THE rep my last year at WP. I lost track of them completely, then a couple of months ago a long time friend called me and asked if I wanted my old skis back. Of course I did, but I thought they were some boards I sold her from the Turning Point store. Well when I picked them up, they were my old THEs. I went down into the ski museum in my basement and found some Spademan S9's (a little newer than the skis), my old Scott Super Hots, put them together and headed to WP. OK...my knees are pretty much junk now and bumps are a distant memory, but I got some knowing smiles from some people, and 20 something's on tongue depressor skis just were beyond words. Especially the "ahhhh...where are the toes?" question. I'm adding some pictures to his of me on the THEs and a couple of pictures from my museum.  There are some interesting things in there from Head XR1s, Lacroix Mach 1s, Winter Heats (originals & the late 90's ones), Dynamic VR117s, various bump and ballet skis, and even a pair of RBL whites I made with my own little hands that I got RB (Lange) to sign.

Lower Larry Sale.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

100_0337.JPG

100_0333.JPG

post #48 of 202
Really I thought it was "New Old School"
post #49 of 202

I also have a pair of "Red sleds" which were awesome and cool to look at(much more so than current skis) AND a pair of Rossi 4s which improved my skiing greatly. (The Hexcel superlights, are thrown away and I think the Fischer Superglass hardened into rock). Thing is.....I love these skis but they sit in the basement. Bindings not DIN approved etc. I now ski on Blizzard The One and Rossi S7....slower and less crazy perhaps but much easier on the ageing bod...but yes they were cool then!

Gary

post #50 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyG View Post

Gang, I've been looking forward to chiming in on this topic for a while. I started skiing in 1970 and just fell in love with the sport and all the cool equipment. I worked in ski shops in the Denver area, eventually co-owned my own ski shop (Turning Point Sports). Helped developed and built skis with Bob Lange at the RBL Company in Boulder. Even spent a lot of winters at Winter Park as a coach in the "Winter Park Freestyle Society"...yup before it joined the comp center. The current story is about a pair of THE Ski's that I was lucky enough to get from the THE rep my last year at WP. I lost track of them completely, then a couple of months ago a long time friend called me and asked if I wanted my old skis back. Of course I did, but I thought they were some boards I sold her from the Turning Point store. Well when I picked them up, they were my old THEs. I went down into the ski museum in my basement and found some Spademan S9's (a little newer than the skis), my old Scott Super Hots, put them together and headed to WP. OK...my knees are pretty much junk now and bumps are a distant memory, but I got some knowing smiles from some people, and 20 something's on tongue depressor skis just were beyond words. Especially the "ahhhh...where are the toes?" question. I'm adding some pictures to his of me on the THEs and a couple of pictures from my museum.  There are some interesting things in there from Head XR1s, Lacroix Mach 1s, Winter Heats (originals & the late 90's ones), Dynamic VR117s, various bump and ballet skis, and even a pair of RBL whites I made with my own little hands that I got RB (Lange) to sign.

Lower Larry Sale.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

100_0337.JPG

100_0333.JPG

Wow some cool skis there. I have a pair of white puppets too and RBL ballet skis too? The RBL's are too much a copy of the THE's . Do you happen to have an extra pair of S9's? I am looking for a pair for my collection. Are those 912's in the back ground? 

post #51 of 202

Yes, I have some old Fischer black and white superglass at the shop right now getting some newer/safer bindings put on them for next season.  They are taking off some tyrolia 480 bindings.  I am excited for next season.  They were my first pair of skis my dad bought me.  It will be interesting to see how a tuned superglass will compare to my other skis.

post #52 of 202

I use straight skis but they are not vintage. They are remainders. Doesn't matter. They're fine. I've no use for short shaped skis.

post #53 of 202

"Remainders"?

post #54 of 202

I have a "remainder " in the garage because if doesn't fit in my garbage can . The death of straight ski skiing  was too long in coming.  Make your fence or your cool ski swings otherwise I find them useless.

post #55 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post

"Remainders"?

 

 

Probably one of the last pairs sold new. Never saw straight skis again in a shop. These are uncool, unremarkable skis in every way.  It was like there was a big going out of business sale and this was the very last item left on the shelf. No one else wanted them. It wasn't even a ski shop. It was a mass merchandise sporting goods store. The ski shops had all already stopped selling straight skis. 

 

I think if it had beem a small ski shop the owner would have been overjoyed to finally be rid of the straight skis, but since it was a mass merchandise store, they were pretty indifferent at the register. LOL.

post #56 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddy View Post

I miss my Dynastar assault verticals!   1992 I think,  Skied them until they literally were missing several feet of edges on each side, (summer rock skis during the last couple of years)

I had those! Wasn't good enough for them. I recall complaining they felt "nervous" to me, because they kept wanted to find an edge and turn. redface.gif They were marketed as an "extreme" ski, which in the context of the early 1990's meant not doing large radius skid turns on groomers. Wonder how they'd fare next to a pair of modern all mountains. Few years ago I took out my Rossi 7S's, complete with frozen right Geze, and while they were OK doing 40 m brush turns, they didn't seem to appreciate modern technique. Let alone carving all the way. Scary enough on hardpack to clear away the romantic haze...

post #57 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyG View Post

Gang, I've been looking forward to chiming in on this topic for a while. I started skiing in 1970 and just fell in love with the sport and all the cool equipment. I worked in ski shops in the Denver area, eventually co-owned my own ski shop (Turning Point Sports). Helped developed and built skis with Bob Lange at the RBL Company in Boulder. Even spent a lot of winters at Winter Park as a coach in the "Winter Park Freestyle Society"...yup before it joined the comp center. The current story is about a pair of THE Ski's that I was lucky enough to get from the THE rep my last year at WP. I lost track of them completely, then a couple of months ago a long time friend called me and asked if I wanted my old skis back. Of course I did, but I thought they were some boards I sold her from the Turning Point store. Well when I picked them up, they were my old THEs. I went down into the ski museum in my basement and found some Spademan S9's (a little newer than the skis), my old Scott Super Hots, put them together and headed to WP. OK...my knees are pretty much junk now and bumps are a distant memory, but I got some knowing smiles from some people, and 20 something's on tongue depressor skis just were beyond words. Especially the "ahhhh...where are the toes?" question. I'm adding some pictures to his of me on the THEs and a couple of pictures from my museum.  There are some interesting things in there from Head XR1s, Lacroix Mach 1s, Winter Heats (originals & the late 90's ones), Dynamic VR117s, various bump and ballet skis, and even a pair of RBL whites I made with my own little hands that I got RB (Lange) to sign.

Lower Larry Sale.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

100_0337.JPG

100_0333.JPG

RickyG, welcome. Not a collector, can spot a couple of skis that I owned, though, including the Rossi and one of the Dynastars. Nice. 

post #58 of 202

RickyG, do I see a set of Blizzard Thermo RS's hiding in the back right?  Loved those skis (still have my set).

post #59 of 202

Oldschoolskier...those are SL's...in my search for a good bump ski I looked for light, low camber, soft slalom skis.  There was a time that ski companies would take some "intermediate" ski...beef it up and plaster "Freestyle" on it and think we would all just drink the cool-aid.  If I couldn't put it on edge and have something happen right away I wasn't happy.  Thank the ski gods that the Vertical Assault and the Salomon Super Force 9 3S came along. Then my left knee has turned into a bone on bone arthritic mess and I'm spending most of my days on the flats with the Salomon SCs (front row), or some K2 ModXs.  Sigh...I miss my knees.

 Thank you for noticing some cool stuff in my collection...Rick

post #60 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyG View Post

Oldschoolskier...those are SL's...in my search for a good bump ski I looked for light, low camber, soft slalom skis.  There was a time that ski companies would take some "intermediate" ski...beef it up and plaster "Freestyle" on it and think we would all just drink the cool-aid.  If I couldn't put it on edge and have something happen right away I wasn't happy.  Thank the ski gods that the Vertical Assault and the Salomon Super Force 9 3S came along. Then my left knee has turned into a bone on bone arthritic mess and I'm spending most of my days on the flats with the Salomon SCs (front row), or some K2 ModXs.  Sigh...I miss my knees.

 Thank you for noticing some cool stuff in my collection...Rick

The Super Force 9 3S was just the S9000 3S in just one PR down, a Super Force 9 3S in a PR8 was the same ski as a S9000 3S in a PR7 with just the cool graphics..same with the 2S's..that blue of the 2S was a beautiful ski. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Anyone still ski and love vintage equipment?