EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Thoughts on Dynastar Legend Mythic? Is this price reasonable?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thoughts on Dynastar Legend Mythic? Is this price reasonable?

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 

I'm an advanced-intermediate skier (5' 11", 190 lbs) looking to replace a pair of 2004 K2 Apache Recons.  I ran across these skis on sale in 178 for $499. NX11 bindings are included.  It's last year's model, but they are otherwise new.  Is this a good deal?

 

TIA

post #2 of 25

It's a good deal.

Although I'd sell you my 178 mythics w/ bindings for less if you're interested.

post #3 of 25

Those skis have a cult following. (I'm thinking about getting another pair of 178cms to replace my current pair when they wear out.)  Because of that they are going on eBay for more than is typical for last year's skis.  $499 is a decent deal if you're buying them from a local shop.  I would see if they would upgrade you to some PX12s, a much better binding.  If you found the deal online I think this is a better deal:

 

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dynastar-Mythic-Rider-178cm-09-10-Skis-w-PX-14-Legend-/200564519721?pt=Skiing&hash=item2eb293b329#ht_3778wt_900

 

post #4 of 25

Guys next to me at my locker have purchased from Asogear and are very pleased. Seems to have the best prices .

post #5 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post

It's a good deal.

Although I'd sell you my 178 mythics w/ bindings for less if you're interested.


What year?  Are the Mythics difference from the Legend Mythics?  Sorry if this is a dumb question...I haven't been keeping up on the model hierarchy in a while. In fact, I just discovered that K2 stopped making the Recons - or at least changed the name.

 

BTW - What are your thoughts on your skis?

post #6 of 25

same ski

Mine's from 2 seasons ago. Has  approx 25 days of use. In superb condition. I replaced them this year for no particular reason other than the fact that I got the new ski bug.

I, and many others have reviewed them in the past. Do a quick search. Wonderful skis.

 

This ski was produced for around 3 seasons and remained the same as far as I know, aside from cosmetics.

post #7 of 25

Thats too much to pay for a used ski that has womens bindings on it, and might require a remount.

post #8 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post

same ski

Mine's from 2 seasons ago. Has  approx 25 days of use. In superb condition. I replaced them this year for no particular reason other than the fact that I got the new ski bug.

I, and many others have reviewed them in the past. Do a quick search. Wonderful skis.

 

This ski was produced for around 3 seasons and remained the same as far as I know, aside from cosmetics.


I'm interested.  Could you shoot me an email with a picture or two?  mgajr2003 AT yahoo.com

 

Thanks,

 

Max

post #9 of 25

Just sold that ski for $399 with PX12, used in good condition.  This is a great ski if you have the skills to drive it, generally it is too stiff and too straight for an average Joe, but if you drive it, it is rock solid everywhere, crud, chop, you name it.  Ski indeed has a cult following here on Epic.    The E-Bay ski at $499 for PX14 is a much better deal.  Do not put NX11 on the Mythics- they need a PX binding.   Mythic is a MUCH better ski than the Recon.   Check out the Squeaky Wheel's skis, they may be a good deal. 

post #10 of 25

I sold my 2 year old, REALLY nice condition Mythic's to another member here about 3 months ago (with Fluid PX12) for $350, so I think the price is high, particularly with bindings that are marginal.

 

They are a fantastic do-all ski, but yes, you have to drive them, and as alexzn says, there is NO comparison whatsoever to a Recon - this is a ski that will reward you for your input versus one that's deferential to virtually everything going on around it.

post #11 of 25

the OP skis are new, undrilled, right? couple year old model, fine. new is new, and no used ski is worth more than 60% of a new ski. you'll own these many years. don't buy used, IMO only.

post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexzn View Post

 This is a great ski if you have the skills to drive it, generally it is too stiff and too straight for an average Joe, but if you drive it, it is rock solid everywhere, crud, chop, you name it.


Interesting that you consider this a stiff ski.  One reason I got them was they had a more moderate flex than offerings in the same category from Blizzard, Atomic, Volkl, Head & Elan  It is by far the most popular ski at Bridger Bowl and most of the skiers on it are skilled finesse skiers.  You do have to pay attention to get the most out of it but I never felt I had to drive my Mythic Riders to get them tp turn.

post #13 of 25


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by alexzn View Post

 This is a great ski if you have the skills to drive it, generally it is too stiff and too straight for an average Joe, but if you drive it, it is rock solid everywhere, crud, chop, you name it.


Interesting that you consider this a stiff ski.  One reason I got them was they had a more moderate flex than offerings in the same category from Blizzard, Atomic, Volkl, Head & Elan  It is by far the most popular ski at Bridger Bowl and most of the skiers on it are skilled finesse skiers.  You do have to pay attention to get the most out of it but I never felt I had to drive my Mythic Riders to get them tp turn.


I'm not sure that all the models you are comparing would be in the same category.  Dynastar makes the Legend Pro model at the next three stiffness levels (three lengths). Dynastar builds the Mythic with a section of cap construction in the forebody, sidewall under the boot and in the tail section. They do this to make the ski a little easier to initiate the turn. The Pro is full sidewall. Dynastar also works the flex tortionally in the Sixth Sense series, getting a lot of touch and reverse camber shape (the Huge) into the flex of the ski with this method. No other company works the construction to tune the flex in this way. It works.  

post #14 of 25

Davluri- Mythic is actually stiffer than the LegendPro (Mythic is stiff, LPR is med-stiff).  I am comparing 184 LPR with the 178 Mythic, until a few weeks ago I had them standing side by side.  Mythic is a bit unique because it is a stiff ski with a lot of camber and not too much sidecut, thats what makes it poppy on groomers and still solid in crud.  You dont have to drive them to make them turn, but you have to drive them to make them turn like they could... LRP on the other hand only can ski when it is driven, but the stability you get is awesome, more than the Mythics. Regardless of what you compare it with, its an awesome ski.

   

post #15 of 25

no, no, no, no, no. skis vary in stiffness, pair by pair, and a used ski is softer than a new ski, and in the Legend Series, the LPR is thicker and stiffer in the longer lengths. so variables to consider. but, no, not a chance. Mythic is great and I put most of my advanced friends on it, to their eternal delight. Wives of guys on the LPR ride the Mythic more often than not. Did you pick up on the combination of cap and sidewall? interesting. done for softening tortionally.

post #16 of 25

I flexed them side by side.  My Mythic was stiffer than my LPR.  I did pick on the sidewall/cap construction.  LPR is unquestionably more ski than the Mythic though. 

post #17 of 25

It's probably only of interest to me, but just curious: what length of both models? how many days on each? what year model each (the LPR  and Mythic were softened a couple years ago)? I'm not sure how a ski could be softer yet "more of a ski" with stiffness generally considered the main quality determining grip, speed, cruising power.

post #18 of 25

Original 178 Mythic, latest (and the last) 184 LPR.  That maybe explains the apparent contradiction (i.e. I am comparing the stiffest Mythic with the softest LPR).   LPR is still more ski overall, it is longer, wider, a lot more damp, and has zero tolerance for backseat, so it just invites you to haul a$$.   

 

Stiffness is only one part of an equation.  A slalom race ski is very stiff, but you would not say that it has a lot of cruising power.  LPR has this nice combination of dampness and flex that makes it smooth the terrain to some degree, Mythic makes you feel it.  

post #19 of 25
Thread Starter 

Okay, so there seems to be some disagreement on how hard you have to drive these skis.  I'm not what you would describe as a "finesse" skier.  I ski hard and I'm about 5'10 190 (41 years old).  I should also point out that while I've skied for almost 30 years, I'm from Chicago so I get about 10 days per season, almost exclusively in Vail and Snowmass and usually in March. That said, there really isn't anything I won't or can't ski with varying degrees of success.  Double Blacks with deep, icy, bumps, and I'm stop and go.  I do most of my skiing in Blue Sky and China Bowl with some front side groomers mixed in to loosen up.  When I took a mogul lesson at Snowmass a few seasons ago, I was considered an "8" during evaluation. 

 

I've also worked to shed my old straight ski style and become more of a carver.  I still tend to let my skis run too close together, but I'm a quick learner and getting better. 

 

My fear, in just looking at the MRs, is that it appears to be almost a straight ski (to the eye) and I don't want a ski that is too unforgiving.  In your opinion, would the Sultan 85 be a better fit?  They have them for new, with the PX12 binding, for $499 online.  Is there anything else out there that can be had for around $500 new or $300 used that might be a better fit. Or, do you think I can handle the MR?  

 

I thank you all for your help!  I'd love to demo skis to help me make a decision, but I don't have that luxury.  

post #20 of 25


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandersonjr View Post

Okay, so there seems to be some disagreement on how hard you have to drive these skis.  I'm not what you would describe as a "finesse" skier.  I ski hard and I'm about 5'10 190 (41 years old).  I should also point out that while I've skied for almost 30 years, I'm from Chicago so I get about 10 days per season, almost exclusively in Vail and Snowmass and usually in March. That said, there really isn't anything I won't or can't ski with varying degrees of success.  Double Blacks with deep, icy, bumps, and I'm stop and go.  I do most of my skiing in Blue Sky and China Bowl with some front side groomers mixed in to loosen up.  When I took a mogul lesson at Snowmass a few seasons ago, I was considered an "8" during evaluation. 

 

I've also worked to shed my old straight ski style and become more of a carver.  I still tend to let my skis run too close together, but I'm a quick learner and getting better. 

 

My fear, in just looking at the MRs, is that it appears to be almost a straight ski (to the eye) and I don't want a ski that is too unforgiving.  In your opinion, would the Sultan 85 be a better fit?  They have them for new, with the PX12 binding, for $499 online.  Is there anything else out there that can be had for around $500 new or $300 used that might be a better fit. Or, do you think I can handle the MR?  

 

I thank you all for your help!  I'd love to demo skis to help me make a decision, but I don't have that luxury.  


I have both MR and S85 here at Whistler. The MR is a bomber compared to the Sultan 85. The Sultan seems like a turnier 8k, while the Mythic is just bombproof through this weekend's heavy crud, some (heavy pow), and slush. Me? The MR's always my go-to whenever I need a go everywhere, do anything ski for the day.

 

Where are the S95's on sale for $499. My friend that's been on mine this weekend wants to take a pair home to Europe.

post #21 of 25

max, both those skis would be great for your style of skiing, IMO. The Mythic may look straight due to the graphics, appearance. It is straighter than many skis, but that makes it easier to release the end of the turn, easier to side slip, easier to butter and slarve. It will also run straight and smooth and not swim around when you let them run fast and flat. 499 for a Sultan with PX is an incredible deal, never saw that out there this year, that ski is a current model. It would even be a good price for the Mythic of a couple years ago. I think Dynastar is a good match for skiers who learned how to ski decades, and I mean several decades, ago.

 

Snofun, what have they done to the Legend Series, if the Sultan is softer than the Mythic? I thought they were going to retain some of the characteristics from Legend to Sultan. Have they completely changed the core and the cap and the sidewall and the structure?  ouch! Develop one of the best skis ever made over a period of 15 years or so and then just drop it? UN-believable.

post #22 of 25
Max, we are about the same build and it sounds like you may be a better skier than I am. I have used my 184 MRs Fluids ( incorporated binding system ) as my daily driver since buying them from REI for $450. That said, the ones your looking at don't sound like a good price. I have also read the Fluid system makes this ski a bit stiffer. At our size, I really like the stiff flex of the ski. It is a very solid ski in off piste applications. Some have said it has some pop? I always thought it was a very damp ski compared to some of the lighter, more lively skis I have tried. Don't worry about the side cut on it being to straight, as I have found it a very easy ski to get up on an edge and turn. For conditions up to 6" of fresh snow, I keep coming back to them regardless of others skis I try. I will be comparing them to a pair of 183 Bros this week. I am pretty sure I will have the Bros on Gear Swap in Febuary;)
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post

 

Snofun, what have they done to the Legend Series, if the Sultan is softer than the Mythic? I thought they were going to retain some of the characteristics from Legend to Sultan. Have they completely changed the core and the cap and the sidewall and the structure?  ouch! Develop one of the best skis ever made over a period of 15 years or so and then just drop it? UN-believable.

I loved the MR's and 8k's from the first moment I put them on - the jury's still out for me on the 85. They have changed the unique sidewall (cap to straight) to straight all the way on the Sultan.

 

There's been a few comments by SJ and others that sometimes the base needs some work out-of-the-box with Sultan's, and I haven't had mine checked to see if that's a problem.

 

The Sultan's feel more lightweight and turny than the 8K
 

post #24 of 25
Thread Starter 

For those interested, the $499 Sultan deal I referenced was for a new pair of '09/10 skis.  It's on asogear which is an eBay store.  It includes bindings.  

 

Thanks again for the feedback.

post #25 of 25
What have they done to the a Legend series? It is dead, unless the upcoming proRider105 brings it back. Basically, Dynastar got tired of making skis that rip, and started making skis that sell. For every Mythic sold they are selling 5 Sultans, that's what it looks like, so the strategy is working. That was also the vibe that I got from a casual conversation with Dynastar rep, he told me that Mythic was too much ski for too many people, so they made Sultan 85. Sultan 94 felt like the same story to me when I took it out for a spin ( read my review that I wrote up the same evening); I bought my LPRs right after that demo. I am sure the guys like, SJ and Dawg may have a different opinion, but they have a wider view of the market because ether need to sell skis, I am mostly interested in the skis that work for me. I obviously have not looked inside then skis, but the construction quality has not changed, what changed was the shape and the stiffness pattern somewhat. Currently Dynastar does not have a ski like Mythic and like LPR in it's current lineup. But again, the Sultan series looks like a commercial success, my intermediate skier friend bought one immediately after demoing. The stuff works for a lot more people than the old Legend series. Legends are unquestionably better skis.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Thoughts on Dynastar Legend Mythic? Is this price reasonable?