New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Preventing thumb injuries?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

I've been really making a solid effort to nail 360s this year, and it has been resulting in a lot of pretty hard falls on landing.  For some reason, my thumbs are really taking a beating.  My left one actually got strained to the point that I had it x-rayed (it's ok but still hurts weeks later) and last weekend the right one took some abuse.  It happens so quickly on landing I'm not even sure exactly what's happening.  I think it may have to do with me instinctively gripping hard onto my poles as they get wrenched out of my hands.  I tried skiing without my hands in the straps, thinking maybe some kind of weird interaction is happening between the strap, my wrist, and my thumb, but it's no better.  Is there any way to prevent this injury short of leaving my poles at home?  Maybe a set of composite poles that would have a little more give to them? (I have a set of really cheap Aluminums).

post #2 of 15

Loose the poles.  Trust me, in the end you will be so happy.  It will make you a better skier in the end.  I have been doing it, and it's total freedom.  I see many jumpers without poles.  They seem to be the better ones.  The others use really short poles.

 

post #3 of 15

I would lose the poles until I got the 360 down. 

post #4 of 15

I thought a lot of thumb injuries came when people let go of the poles and put their hands out to catch themselves. I remember straining my thumb that way when I was a kid.

 

Ever since I stopped doing that, I can't remember any having any thumb injuries, even after the hardest of crashes had ripped a pole out of my hand.

post #5 of 15

If you use poles, you should not be using the straps. Secondly, when your use the straps (which shouldn't be when in the park), make sure that you are putting your hand up and over the strap, or gripping the pole with one side of the strap in your palm. Putting your hand down and through the strap lets the pole torque your thumb in a fall.

post #6 of 15

Over the Christmas Holiday the family went up to a little ski hill in NY (Thunder Ridge) Had to rent boots and skis for the grandkids, and ski's and poles for myself. The poles came without straps and it was a complete hassle having to backtrack and pluck it out of the hardpak when they got stuck and left behind. I missed my poles with the straps! I thought "Skiers Thumb" was just part of the game. The pain goes away eventually but that base knuckle sure sticks out "Like a Sore Thumb!" (sorry!  couldnt resist! yahoo.gif)

post #7 of 15

Thumb injuries from skier's thumb can be permanent.

post #8 of 15

your thumbs are getting injured as a result of you puting out your arms/hands out to brace your fall.  1261532069phpThumb_generated_thumbnailjpg.jpg

 

 

 

I ski mostly park and my thumbs are a complete mess as a result of this.  I wear thumb immobilizers in park and it fixes everything.  They're pretty uncomfortable and annoying to wear but they will prevent repeated injuries.  They're like $10-15 at any rite aid or whatever.  gl man

1260580598DSC02632.JPG

post #9 of 15

This is too funny because years ago they blamed the closed grip pole for thumb injuries and sparked an industry ban.

 

It is not funny when you thumb is in agony.

 

Honestly, this is a matter IMHO of "condition and response" and sooner or later you will learn to close your thumbs up, despite what you learned in judo.

 

I used to fight with a hands open style and what you need to be careful of is that some people look for that and guess where the first attack is against?

 

You kind of learn to close em' up when you are going down.

post #10 of 15

A fall with the thumb out is responsible for only a portion of the thumb injuries. Another common cause is a fall with the pole torquing the thumb back. Hence the end of closed hand grips. They did cause a fairly significant number of injuries.

post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by iWill View Post

A fall with the thumb out is responsible for only a portion of the thumb injuries. Another common cause is a fall with the pole torquing the thumb back. Hence the end of closed hand grips. They did cause a fairly significant number of injuries.



Ironically, before I got my Scott strapless grips I was zinging thumbs fairly regularly. After getting the Scotts I somehow quit messing up my thumbs. I still use those grips, and won't buy any pole that I can't put them on.

post #12 of 15

Loosing poles will make you a better skier? I beg to differ.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post

Loose the poles.  Trust me, in the end you will be so happy.  It will make you a better skier in the end.

post #13 of 15


So true!  Don't jam the thumbsF!

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuki View Post

It is not funny when you thumb is in agony.

 

post #14 of 15

 Good move! I have to wear wrist braces for part of the season. I don't like them but when I've been pounding the mountain I have no choice and they help.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyParadise View Post

 I wear thumb immobilizers in park and it fixes everything.  They're pretty uncomfortable and annoying to wear but they will prevent repeated injuries.  

post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyParadise View Post

your thumbs are getting injured as a result of you puting out your arms/hands out to brace your fall.  1261532069phpThumb_generated_thumbnailjpg.jpg

 

 

 

I ski mostly park and my thumbs are a complete mess as a result of this.  I wear thumb immobilizers in park and it fixes everything.  They're pretty uncomfortable and annoying to wear but they will prevent repeated injuries.  They're like $10-15 at any rite aid or whatever.  gl man

1260580598DSC02632.JPG



Thanks for diagram and pic with suggestion.

 

I injured my thumb last season but did not want to go see a doc. Now I can see what happen to me. 

 

Good Thread.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion