or Connect

Posts by carvemeister

Here's a couple recent shots: August Sunset in Maui: Over on The Big Island: Port Jefferson Harbor, Long Island:
Never occurred to me to fly to SLC. Skiing Brighton isn't a bad idea either for 2 days, I guess. But I can't imagine it's worth driving an extra 150 miles vs. flying into DEN. Unless we really wanted to ski Brighton for some reason vs. Copper or Winter Park, it seems like trying to fly into EGE, HDN, or GJT is a far safer bet to plan ahead for. Unless of course weather factors cause a flight problem an we can't get into a smaller airport. Not sure how frequent that is...
Big Sky is insane. It's sick. It's immense. It's gnarly. It also has some great groomers and moderate tree skiing. Actually, it pretty much blew my mind how vast and big it skis. And that's not even counting Moonlight Basin on the backside where you will likely have the entire place to yourselves on a knee deep powder day. There really isn't a town there however. But plenty of good eating, and condos, homes, etc. scattered around.Beautiful scenery all around and...
No kids with us. They're in their 20's and ski us into the ground now anyhow. I was at Winter Park 2 years ago for a week, and was very surprised how big it was and how much better than expected it was. Mary Jane was awesome. Loved skiing the bumps there! And overall the tree skiing surprised me as well. I agree on the "town" too. Pretty dull. In fact, pretty much no fun at all from what I could tell and inconvenient as well. That is one reason we decided to go to...
Hey, thanks for the lift offer! We're 4 adults though who usually travel with a lot of crap and multiple skis. You'd need a pretty big suv to shlepp us anywhere. I'm sure we'll be renting a vehicle. I spent all afternoon analyzing all the possible options which isn't easy when I don't yet know where we're flying to/from. Nevertheless I found out quite a bit. #1 is that there does not seem to be any way, or any availability for a 1-way rental that involves Enterprise...
Thanks Finndog. However, I hate going to Newark and the long term parking (last I recall) was a real pain in the ass. Coming from eastern L.I. I have to drive past 3 airports to get there, so I almost never see any advantage. But I guess the more relevant questions I had were, if we're also going to ski Copper (likely) and therefore will need to rent an SUV anyhow, does it really make sense to fly to Hayden? Is the drive from Denver that much of a problem as long as...
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize it was typical for "seasonal" flights to be released much later in some airline's schedules. I typically book a ski trip in the fall, so I guess that's why I missed that fact. Just purchased the Max Passes today, so it's officially ON, but I'll have to be patient on the airfare. Still considering flying into an alternate airport beside HDN on one end (or both) however in order to get in one extra "free" ski day since the pass only...
Well, I just can't resist and decided to get the Max Pass www.themaxpass.com. It hits the places I frequent in the east and I can break even or better with no problem. So, now all I have to do is add a week in the west and I can count those as FREE ski days! So, I pretty much decided on a trip to Steamboat mostly because I've been to Copper, Big Sky and WP and never had a chance to get to Steamboat. Another reason is it will be my wife and I, along with a couple who...
Feb. 26th @ Silverton:
Here are a few photos as promised. I didn't take too many at WC because the skiing was just too good. These were from Saturday and I know there was a ton of snow that followed. I can't imagine how good it was a few days later, but I have no complaints. WC was a blast although we mostly skied the trees off the Alberta chair all day: Taken from the car at WC Pass: Not our vehicle, but In the parking lot at the end of the day: