Posts by carvemeister

Of course freezing levels are going to skyrocket up...of course they are! ...because I'm heading out to Kicking Horse tomorrow (from NY). Got 2 pairs of skis packed. The 95mm do it all ski, and the DPS 112 Wailer. Thinking of ditching the powder skis for my 86mm. bomb-proof carvers instead. As much as I hate to leave pow skis home for a trip west, looks like slim chance of needing them. Although we'll be skiing 3/14-3/21 - so maybe an outside chance. Likely to ski...
I'm going to take this as a very good omen. Just went shopping today at the local Foodtown here on Long Island. My wife sent me to the coffee aisle to get her a bag of decaf (I'm a snob - I only order my coffee online, freshly roasted) - anyhow, there it was in front of me, exactly 2,631 miles by land from it's home. And yes, of course I bought it for her to cuddle up with while I'm gone. Oddly, she was not nearly as excited by the sight of it as I was:
@manchester81 I agree - that is an awesome summary/guide to skiing KH! Thanks, and it's very timely! I'll be out there skiing from 3/15-3/21 with 3 or 4 other guys, all good skiers although not always inclined to ski super steep rocky chutes - ok, maybe the one young guy we're bringing - he's really good, and a bit nuts maybe! The rest of us range from ~ 50 to mid 60's and a couple are nursing some recent injuries, so not sure how everyone will hold up. We've been to KH...
Excellent answer! I was just deciding myself what skis to wax up today. My wife and I will be skiing Brighton & Solitude Sun.- Thurs. Weather pattern looks good from most of the sources I've looked at - except for the forecast on Brighton's own page which seems to make no sense as they're calling for R*** and temps near 50 on the mountain next week! No way!! Looks like easily 12" - 18" over the coming week up in the Canyons, so I'm bringing the Head Venturi 95mm for my...
Whoaaaaa.....NICE Legacy Bump!! Answer: I wish. A redo is long overdue!
I probably could have lived with that! Decided to drive a couple hours further instead though to The Loaf. The skiing was excellent with really no bare spots to be found anywhere on the open (aka snowmaking) trails. A bit icy Saturday morning from the rain on Friday and it never really warmed up till late afternoon Saturday, but Sunday was almost as good as it gets for spring skiing - well in the East anyhow - in 2016.SUGARLOAF - Sunday, March 27, 2016
HOLY CRAP!!! Wow. What an incredible story. I was on the edge of my seat reading it! So glad you made it out of there Mike! Good luck on the rehab and get well soon. Thanks for sharing your survival story. So many lessons to be learned from this one and it's great to know you were well prepared and have great friends like that. Kudos to the rescue teams and all involved!!!
This is for those of you just arriving at The Boat. We were there Wed-Sat and I just got home to the horrors of a flat island where I dwell at 120' above sea level. I too was somewhat bummed out with my usual luck of hitting my western trip in the middle of a dry spell. I expected all season to be sticking my freshly waxed and powder hungry DPS Wailer 112's into my double bag to go get some of the champagne powder I always heard about. I was sure we'd get it this year,...
@Finndog it was a pleasure to ski with you! We all had a great time. The best part about it was that my wife won't listen to anything I say, but when you gave her a few tips on skiing bumps and glades, she ate it right up, cranked it up a notch, and had a blast! What's up with that? Should I grow a beard or something? Yeah, it was spring skiing at it's best though. Weather was spectacular and we really loved the mountain. Today we took the day off since you burned...
3 years ago - skiing The Big Couloir for the very first time, in a complete whiteout. It wasn't pretty.