Posts by skinavy

I made a trip out West to Copper (thank you, MaxPass!) in Feb, also did the cat & hike over to Nacho.  Your description is pretty spot-on; it had been over 10 days with no fresh yet we found soft, untracked fields on the way down and nothing more challenging than Upper Enchanted Forest or Union (at least down via Nacho; I can't speak for over by the patrol shack).   In fact we found the trip down to the cat from Union Peak to be more difficult- wind-scoured and hard bumps...
pretty sure he is giving you the next line from the scene... 
What if you looked a little N and W into the San Juans across the border in CO? Purgatory, Hesperus, Wolf Creek, even Silverton & Telluride may be in play, stay very cheaply in Aztec or even Durango.  Although looks like you are looking to not drive too much / remain closer to ABQ or SF?
The coaster, zipline, and lodge improvements are all in line with mountains everywhere in the East looking to expand as 4-season destinations- the additional revenue for probably not too many more summer employees and operating costs (the place is already open in the summer and shoulder seasons) stands a decent chance of helping the overall picture?  Presumably the coaster will run in winter too- I see them constantly in use at other places- a fun break for the kids, and...
I prefer to call out "bar's OPEN"  and enjoy the confused looks.
Hah- I got the loophole.  My speed is sourced from only the finest singlewides-with-plywood-in-the-windows.And my hooch is only from repurposed oildrums. My earlier crockpot bit notwithstanding, Liberty, Whitetail, and Roundtop have pretty good free cubby storage that is respected.  And I've not had issues with sitting at a table with someone just "reserving" - they seem to get the timeshare concept, generally. 
We tend to have non-skiing moms/dads "reserving" entire tables- although we rarely have a problem when we just do the "is anyone sitting here right now?  thanks."   There's another contingent who bring crockpots, plugged in and on a table while they head out.  Nevermind the obvious safety/trip issue and the signs stating to not do that...  I personally enjoy unplugging them, placing them against the wall, and watching their faces as they dig into cold chili.
Played tag with a jeep that had a similar setup, coming down the NY Thruway .  Thought it was a pretty good idea- bikes often cost a lot more than skis, and if they are secure enough on a bike carrier... I prefer a dedicated roof box, but this was a decent solution. My only concern is if the skis are longer than the car is wide- now you have the sideswipe-my-mirror-situation.  Echo the road salt/debris concern too- more so than when exposed on a roof rack.
Practicing 1st turns of the season on the bunny hills of Killington this weekend, to warm up for the steeps of Liberty next week...
Looking good so far for Liberty/Whitetail/Roundtop next weekend- good snowmaking window coming up, then a little R, then frigid again, plenty enough to open maybe Friday the 16th?     Gotta plan how to burn the use-or-lose!