or Connect

Posts by lonewolf210

Last year I bought a couple season old pair of park skis. First day out on them I had no less than 3 people offer to buy them off me. So yes it's fine to buy new skis that are a couple seasons old  
So I have been debating getting a kayak and during my internet surfing I came across these:             They are single person rafts paddled like a kayak. They weigh only 5-7 pounds and pack to the size of a two person tent and are meant to be used for backpacking to access remote waters whether it be lakes or whitewater. Some even have zippers built into the flotation tubes so that you can store your gear there while rafting to reduce the risk of losing gear and...
  Haha NASA also does the same thing. I did a literature review on carbon-phenolic nozzle construction as part of a project and pretty much all the papers analyzing construction methods basically all ended with the same conclusion. "We have no idea how this method was arrived at but it's worked for 20 years so well just keep using it"
@ lonewolf210 The torque T is proportional to the width of the ski. The area moment of inertia J is proportional to the width squared. The angle of twist phi = (TL)/(JG). L is the distance from the fixed point to the deformed cross-section considered. G is the shear modulus, a property of the materials. Thus wider skis should deflect less than narrower skis for a given torsional load.   O that gave me flashbacks to the nightmare that was my deformations class. It's that...
So I was always pretty terrible at mechanical engineering but wouldn't a wider ski deflect more?   It would take more force to get the ski on edge to overcome the longer lever but once on edge the longer lever now applies more torque to the ski. I assume that is why the torsion bar goes all the way across the ski.    Like I said mechanical engineering is not my forte. 
And I thought we might make it a whole thread without stowe GNAR but I thought you had to be an expert just to see it anyways...
You caught me I really suck and by race friends I meant people that ski the little brushes in the kiddie area. Thank you for the valuable contribution
 But you don't carve in bump in skiing...(let the new debate begin)
 At the risk of derailing the thread further I have personally skied with several racers that were terrible off the groomed. Did they pick it up quickly? Yes. They progressed quickly but doesn't change the fact that once they stopped racing it probably took a half season to a full season before they became copmetent in off piste terrain. To be fair a large part was due to being unfamaliar with snow conditions. Obviously these people weren't super high level racers (Noram,...
 I spend lots of time in the park and I can honestly say that number of people skidding all their turns is no more, no less than any where else on the mountain. I have yet to see this mythical rider that can throw corked spins but not make a clean arc. Is there a dude that throws a 360 than skids around yeah but so does the majority of the skiers not in the park. Being able to throw clean spins neccesitates the efficient use of edges so this is really a silly argument.Also...