or Connect

Posts by lonewolf210

I'm not saying that the resort should or should not be responsible as I don't know enough about the area that the avalanche happened in but there are simply too many areas within a resort that could slide to hold them reliable for everyone. In order for a resort to do that it would essentially have to eliminate all off piste skiing. It doesn't take a very large avalanche to be fatal, especially in trees where all it takes someone getting swept off their feet and hitting a...
  I dispute that title and claim it for myself 
Had a bourbon tasting night with my brother and dad
Huh that's usually the first thing I see patrol do if someone hasn't already done it though usually someone has done it for them.   I'm 25 and I'm not really sure who taught me what crossed skis meant. I do know there are usually signs in the park stating what they mean though.
hop turns is the more correct term. I'm not sure there is such a thing as a jump turn and kick turns are pretty useful for turning around but that's about it. That being said 6 true hop turns would be a pretty short slope... I usually only use hop turns for really steep terrain but I haven't skied mt. bachelor so maybe they are warranted.  If you made it down without side slipping the whole way I wouldn't say it was moronic so not sure why it was brought up... Back on...
So there definitely is a trade off in maneuverability but as an intermediate you will get more benefit out of a ski that doesn't collapse from your weight and in reality like others have said you would out grow the benefits of a short ski in a few days. I ski that 185 in trees and bumps just fine. Though at 103 it's a little bit of a pain in the bumps
Great advice so far but the question I have to ask is why are you so concerned about weight? Unless you plan on hiking/skinning with them I see no reason to make weight a priority espcially with modern skis. You really shouldn't need to be lifting them and pushing them around, especially at an intermediate level and a heavy skier shouldn't really be any more difficult to pivot with. I hardly notice a difference in effort between my 165 slalom ski and my 183 daily...
 That's probably true but unfortunately it doesn't. In the three seasons I have lived in Albuquerque I have only skied Taos a handful of times because the snow is almost never good. If the snow is mediocre we simply go to Santa Fe, if a big storm is being predicated we drive the extra hour to Wolf Creek because storms don't pan out for Taos a lot of times. I keep hoping for a good snow year there but I only have one more season here for that to happen before I move.
I was actually there when that happened it was pretty crazy that first guy was super lucky. Hitting that rock launched him clear of the whole rock field More a reference to experiencing life but yes in the literal interpretation that's true
  I'll just leave this here