or Connect

Posts by lonewolf210

I'm going to try this one more time than I give up. An Island of safety has nothing to do snow pack stability, it is a place to stop that provides you protection from a slide. IE I ski down stop at the island of safety and what for the next person to come down. To provide protection from a slide coming down on me they would absolutely have to be incredibly thick to divert the avalanche away from. Now what we are talking about is trees providing an anchor and making the...
Well your using the term Island of safety wrong... They are a place where it would be extremely unlikely to be hit by an avalanche such as a ridge line between to gullies or certain convection in a hill. A better why to put it is they are areas where the natural path of a slide would be contained away from them by the terrain. Trees are not that.   As to whether or not they are effective anchors the science supports they are. You ignored the fact that the study I linked...
What does that have to do with snowpack stability? I never said trees were an island of safety
Yes a single tree on a slope doesn't mean anything. A lot does. I guess that whole study I posted is completely wrong too along with all the other experts... Just for more references:http://montanadma.org/sites/default/files/Avalanche.pdfhttp://www.emd.wa.gov/preparedness/documents/Schools_L2L3_Handout_Ava_Avalanches.pdfStaying Alive in Avalanche Terrain
The study sites a tree density of 250/ha to induce stability. A hectare is about 2.47 acres which gives a density of approximately 101 trees per acre. According to this chart:http://warnell.forestry.uga.edu/SERVICE/LIBRARY/for96-054/index.html that equates to a spacing of about 20 feet apart per tree hardly difficult to move around in. I apologize I misquoted the 2m it's 3m but still when talking about skiing in treed areas 9 foot trees is a pretty safe assumption. We have...
http://arc.lib.montana.edu/snow-science/objects/issw-2009-0323-0327.pdf This study from the same site would beg to differ. They found that only 5% of avalanches released within forested areas and the entire introduction is explanation of the conditions required to increase stability namely 250 trees/hecactre and trees 2m which is not very dense or large trees. They did find that shrubs where a detriment to snowpack stability though Than Jim Frankenfield who was Director of...
 I'm sure there is the possibility but I remember a couple of years back when CAIC reported several partial burial IB slides. If I remember correctly there was one at Vail and one at Abay about a week apart. Both of those were listed on CAIC's website so hopefully that's an indication that it is being tracked. To me it seems that IB slides are kinda an all or nothing type situation. Large enough that people caught are seriously injured/killed or small enough to not really...
 I think the last one is particularly interesting. Defining when it goes from sport to stunt is a different take not one I'm sure I agree with though. I get where the guy is coming from but attempting "stunts" is what pushes the sport. Just look at the way freestyle has progressed in 1999 a switch 540 won skiing best trick. That's something you can go to the local park and see 12 year olds do now. The progression of sport is built upon people doing the impossible. A non...
Avalungs have been shown to be very effective in real world application they published a video of guy who survived something like 2 hrs under the snow with one. Contrary to what most people think as ling as the snow doesn't melt and freeze into an ice mask you can actually breathe through it, however, the CO2 you exhale can't escape the snow and eventually builds up to fatal levels. An Avalung protects against both ice masks and the build up of C02. It pulls air from a...
I agree that meadow skipping can be a lot of fun but the reason I got into BC in the first place was because I wanted to descents of 14ers. I am also curious as to how many people got into simply for untracked powder? The allure to me has always been the idea that I could see a line and go ski without the confines of being told where to go. To me it's similar to trad climbing there is aesthetics to climbing and conquering that unmarked line.