or Connect

Posts by lonewolf210

I don't think that's really a huge issue any more. All my problems are self induced from several years of off road abuse.
I really like the grand Cherokee it's just so expensive... To get the same creature comforts I get from the other cars we talked about I'm looking at 45-50. WEll the F-150 is also stickered that much but they will knock a lot more of their sticker price.
 Have you read in the Realm of Hungry Ghosts? It's all about the brain chemistry and psychology of addiction and there is a good portion of the book that's about activity addiction rather than substance. It's incredibly interesting as the brain chemistry is extremely similar. The term adrenaline junkie is scarily accurate but we have to draw a line somewhere as to where it's free will and addicts. You got me on the philosophy . If we really wanted to go down the rabbit...
 Very interesting take on things but I wanted to explore these two paragraphs a little more. You talk about Fransson being wrapped up in his self definition as a risk taker and this is very much a similar definition to an addict. Add in the fact that they do it regardless of injury to themselves or the death of their friends and you start to get an almost text book definition of an addict. So is society convincing these people to do more dangerous stuff or is it simply...
If you just search skiing most of them come up. Some of them you have to search by name though. After watching a few they just starting popping up in the suggestion area
How you want to define stupid is up to you. Last year I refused to ski some terrain my friends wanted to on Loveland because I felt the conditions were sketchy and stuck to the trees. Less than an hour after we left the face my friends wanted to ski slid and buried a guy. Luckily his friend got him out in time. You don't have to dig a snow pit to make conservative terrain choices. I'll take my conservative line choices and am okay with the risk I accept
I think I would. A lot of it is about the feeling of accomplishment I get from doing things like multi pitch climbs or climbing a 14er. I also can't deny that I do enjoy being able to tell stories from it too but if was to suddenly be told no one could ever know about the things I do I would still want to do them.
So the classroom portion was worthless to you? The field portion is certainly more valuable but it's ridiculous to say those people aren't more informed. Do you dig a pit every time you go out? Most of the people I know pretty much never dig a pit just read the reports before they go out but I digress this is really the topic of the thread. I know personally I do a lot of really dangerous stuff and no one gives me money or pressures me to do it.
Exactly. There is beauty in the exactness it takes to achieve those lines I know several of my friends head out without much knowledge. In fact several of them don't even take beacons. I have tried to get them to at least buy beacons but the sheer number of people out there has convinced them that its really not that dangerous...
I'm not sure if there are guides available but I would definitely read @anachronism's unofficial guide. There is a ton of good info in there and talking to a local when you get there is always a good choice. The primary concern with wolf creek is how long of a run out are you willing to tolerate. Also be prepared for a lot of traversing