Posts by andrew_tai

Hi michael, You are looking for a lot in a dSLR system. What you want will cost you a fair bit. To summarize, you want: 1) durability 2) weatherproofness 3) high ISO performance This means you will be looking at the 'prosumer' or pro bodies (Nikon D3, D700, D300; Canon 5D, 5DMkII, 40D/50D; Pentax K20D). Consumer dSLR bodies like the Nikon D40/60/80/90, the Canon Xsi, and Pentax K200 probably are not built tough enough for what you want. Weather sealing is also...
I am also the same weight at 150lb and ski mostly in the East. Sounds like our terrain preferences and skills are similar: good on the groomed but trying to improve in ungroomed conditions and off-piste. I have not tried the Wateas but would suggest that if you like your skis to feel damp and stable that you look at the Head Monster iM82. I ski them in 172cm and have been very, very happy with them as a one-ski quiver for a lightweight skier. I have found that skis at...
Precision Tuning Center in Framingham. Apparently run by a ex-World Cup tech for Volkl. Have used them a couple of times before and have been extremely satisfied with their work. Try a search here; I believe PTC has been mentioned a number of times by other Bears. http://www.summitskishop.com/ptc.php?page=PTC
most thread-locking agents will loosen up with some heat. If you're game to try again and you haven't mangled the screw(s) too much already, try heating the screw head with a soldering iron tip first.
not to beat a dead horse or anything like that...but some of the physics being tossed around in this thread is way oversimplified. Quote: Force is defined as mass times acceleration F = m*a. Thus m*a = m*g and a = g. That means that the acceleration due to gravity is independent of the mass. It also applies to the velocity, distance and time it takes an object to fall. They are all independent of the mass of the object. It looks so simple, but many people...
Quote: Originally Posted by tief schnee I started out teaching at West Mt in Glens Falls, NY. Home of the Adirondack Red Wings, a Detroit Red Wings farm team. They were not supposed to ski, but would sneak off and do it any way. They really made me feel like I knew what I was doing. After the hour long lesson was over I would ski with them and they were ready just about everything that little hill had. couldn't agree more about ice skating...
I doubt very much that this is a blood clot. In the legs, there are two types of blood clots--superficial (on the surface) and deep vein clots. Superficial clots can usually be felt as a firm "cord"; they rarely cause any problems. From the description you provided, not sure that this is even a superficial clot. From a medical standpoint, one worries about deep vein clots as they have a chance of breaking off and traveling to the lungs, as well as impeding circulation to...
I am also 150lb and have skied the Legend 8000. Great skis. Agree that 165 is definitely too short. For Eastern skiing (trees, bumps, narrower trails) the 172 would be my preferred length, but out West I would definitely consider 178, unless you like to ski in tight places. Since you asked, in this category I also like the Head Monster iM82. Very stable and great edgehold on hardpack (better than the Legend) but it's a little less lively than the Legend 8000 and perhaps...
just curious to see what the boot fitters here think of the Aline footbed system; the company apparently was cofounded by Gordon Hay. http://www.aline.com/ I have not seen it in person; apparently the footbeds themselves are not custom-fit, but there are tabs that are placed into the bottom of the footbed for alignment, and there is some sort of aligning device to measure knee and ankle alignment. has anyone had any direct experience with this and how well it compares...
Hi Jason, I have the previous version of the Cold Fusion (without the "X"). Judging from the description of their website, seems to be pretty much the same jacket with a new hood. I am very happy with my jacket--construction and fit are excellent. Stitching is excellent and the jacket is in great shape after 2 years of regular use. Quality is comparable to Arc'teryx, Marmot, etc. There is some very minor fabric pilling on the shoulders but you'd have to look closely...