Posts by manchester81

Go long.   I have the 184s (hybrid)  and they ski short.    When I bought the skis I mounted them with touring bindings and was concerned that the longer ski would be harder to manage on the skin track. I am 5'10/11 and  was a trim 155 pounds thanks to a season off work spent mountaineering (hard to keep weight on when you summit 3-5 times a week)...So maybe not the worst choice at the time...   I remounted with alpine bindings and I am a more substantial 185 pounds...
Another weekly update. I skied Lake Louise both days this weekend, and conditions were really great on Sunday. Saturday Saturday was unseasonably warm, and the resort received a bit of rain. The rain started at the base at about 10AM and inched its way to mid-mountian. Precipitation was light though and the snow didn't seem totally soaked. We stayed in the trees because of awful vis and found great snow on the upper half of Larch and Ptarmigan. It was heavier lower...
 I skied Fernie and Castle over the weekend. Fernie had rain on the lower half of the mountain and the snow was saturated. The upper half had dense powder. It was a bit of work to ski, but it was still really fun, especially on Saturday morning. I was planning on skiing Fernie on Sunday, but bailed and went to Castle. Friends who stayed behind said the upper mountain skied better than the day before though. Castle was also significantly better than the previous day at...
I think flexibility is the name of the game in this part of the world. If you have the funds for more than one season pass, or you buy a combo pass, you can follow the snow. You should be able to find a place for much less than 2k per month if you are okay with renting just a room. Cheaper rent + a car and multiple resort passes would be my recommendation.    Banff does have a "need to reside" requirement, but it seems pretty easy to live there without working,...
 When Lake Louise was owned by RCR, it closed on the last weekend of April. Under Charlie Locke (past and current owner), it stays open for the first weekend of May, though it was forced to close a week early last year due to unusually warm temps. Apart from school breaks,  Lake Louise and Sunshine will be crowded on weekdays. Even on crowded days, the two lifts that serve advanced terrain at Lake Louise, Paradise lift and Summit platter rarely have significant lines.
Another weekend update.   A big group of us went down to Fernie for the weekend. We stayed on an on-hill condo with ski in/out access and had a great time!   Skiing conditions were a bit variable. There was some light rain at the base on Friday night, but temps stayed warm and nothing froze over. Conditions in the morning were really fun with heavy powder. First tracks on Snake Main to KC Chutes in Cedar were particularly good. As the day went on and temps increased...
That's pretty bad.    skied Whistler on January with a 3 day edge card, and like you I assumed that subsequent days would be charged at the same per day rate.  They should honor prior commitments, but I wonder if this has anything to do with the change in owndership. I see that they have dropped the 3 day edge card from their website...   I hope Whistler management resolves this issue.
I really like the Kicking Hose coffee. At the Kicking Horse Resort, they serve it at the Double Diamond Cafe, right next to the gondola. Good stuff.    Surprisingly, some of the better cafes in Golden don't serve Kicking Horse. Bacchus serves Oso Negro from Nelson, BC and Bluebird has Fratello, a Calgary roaster. These are good too though!   We had a great weekend in this part of the world. It is definitely winter out there! It is dipping down past -20 at nights in...
 I will be at Fernie on the 12th, and will be skiing on the 18th and 19th, but I am not sure where. Maybe Kicking Horse. Kicking Horse mostly about steep (black and double black rated) chutes and bowls, with some glades. The Chutes are found on 4 ridges which drop into 3 bowls.  The entire resort is accessed by a gondola, which travels up CPR ridge. CPR Ridge divides Crystal Bowl and Bowl Over. The runs into Crystal Bowl (skier's left, climber's right) are steep, rocky...
You picked a good time to vist, @fosphenytoin .   http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Sunshine/6day/top http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Lake-Louise/6day/top   Follow this twitter account for the status of Sunshine's steep terrain. https://twitter.com/ssvsnowsafety   Good blog to follow here:  http://www.powderwatch.com/ryder/ but he is on vacation now.       Coverage is very good overall. I last skied Lake Louise on Saturday, and was last at Sunshine 2...