or Connect

Posts by manchester81

19. Motherlode Chair, Red Mountain, BC: 2304 ft., 14 min, 165 ft. rise/minA fixed grip! Good thing it is over steep terrain! 
That looks great!   I really want to check out the cat skiing area. I might have to start by hiking on Sundays though.    How many laps did you get in? 
You're right Bruce. The Goat's eye area has a good amount of advanced terrain, especially on the south side. I still think that w/o the freeride areas, ssv has an intermediate focus and I don't visit mid-season unless the dive is open, but different strokes....
Out of bounds - definitely. In bounds - there are cliffs and these can spice things up, but I don't find the marked runs extreme. If you are in the Calgary region, Kicking Horse is your best bet for Steep Terrain.    In my opinion, Lake Louise and Sunshine (dive and wild west only) have steeper terrain than castle. The big difference is Castle lacks intermediate terrain. It is ALL (apart from huckleberry) pretty steep, and the runs are very long, fall line skiing. The...
Bummer on the storm. We will be getting even less in the Rockies....   It seems Revelstoke always has "bad" years, or the stated 9-14 meter seasonal average is optimistic at best.   8-12 seems like a more realistic range.   http://www.revelstokemountainresort.com/conditions/historical-snowfall   Though with over 700cms reported to date (great pace but crummy snow conditions), snowfall totals can be misleading.   I have been lucky to experience a few really great...
On Saturday I made my first trip to Castle in a year.  I lived in Lethbidge from 2008-10, and I was a Castle passholder at that time. I have always loved the terrain there. Extremely low skier density, and long, fall-line runs. There isn't much that would qualify as extreme terrain (in bounds anyway), but the upper mountian is pretty solid black diamond territory. Nothing too scary, but nothing really easy either. It is fast and fun!   The winds at Castle are a blessing...
Ski boots can be very diffuculy to fit, especially if you are looking for a performance fit. Getting properly fitted by a reputable bootfitter will solve your problem. Renting probably won't work. Snowbiarding is great and most people will find rental boots more comfortable. It is very different from skiing though, and boots aren't the best reason to make the switch.
You would have been able to ski most of Whistler this Christmas   I was just there (the week after new years), and had a great time. A couple of the entrances for the steeper shots off the the Peak Chair weren't so inviting, but still plenty of choices for your steep terrain fix.    Whistler will be busy though....and pricey.   Stay and squamish and save big. Get there early. Don't break for lunch, or break really early. 
Where do you plan on touring?
To get cash, you should be able to use most ATMs. The big banks ATMs are set up with the Visa network, and plus and cirrus, so I would think they should be okay.   I agree with Alpha, credit cards are often the simplest solution. Otherwise, depending on the cost to purchase cash, there is will be a threshold where cash is a better deal than debit, probably more than $50, but obviously your rate will vary with the different institutions.    And it would be worth...