or Connect

Posts by mdf

A local store was tasting pumpkin beers so I stopped in. The first one didn't do anything for me. The Sam was nice, with a definite pumpkin flavor. I didn't care for the Dogfish, which surprised me since I love every other beer from them that I have tried. More pumpkin pie spices than actual pumpkin. The Shipyard was my favorite. The bouquet before drinking ( sorry does that mark me as a wine drinker slumming it?) was just like a pumpkin pie but when I took a sip...
That is a nice website.  Looks similar to the calculations I did in the http://www.epicski.com/g/a/138311/what-do-you-look-for-in-a-trail-map/ and http://www.epicski.com/g/a/137932/wolf-creek-dted-data-dive/ threads.  I'm trying to decide if they are using the same Nattional Elevation Database that I used.     I may have to match their colormap and reprocess to decide. Note that white in my scheme is dark green in theirs, and that's around 30 degrees.  30 isn't super...
6290 feet
...and thaw/refreeze is different too. At lower atmospheric pressure there is more sublimation from solid directly to vapor, leaving less liquid to refreeze into a glaze. (Sorry)
I wasn't talking about my own edges.
I am not a part of that subculture, but I think many of the in-house hucks have names, which would suggest that those in the know understand the landing zones. For movies, maybe just rely on stupid - deep snow and a high risk tolerance for risk. [edit: obviously that should be in-bounds, but I kind of like the sound of "in-house hucks".] I do remember a YouTube video of regular guys dropping stuff where one of them injured his knee by catching on a hidden rock. His...
KevinF may have only had one day of what NE considers ice, but I bet there are a lot more of what spindrift would consider ice. I would estimate about a third to maybe even half of the days are "loud" days, when you can hear everyone's edges. (Yes, most people still skid.) Only a minority of those will be true thaw/refreeze ice. Another quarter or so is sticky, wet snow. And maybe a quarter or a third is fresh or a soft packed surface. Better snowmaking means more of...
I'm a recreational skier and I tune all my skis to 1 and 3. Do that and you won't be in such a panic to swap out skis after lunch (for example) when the snow gets "firm."
~Jan 24-31  Somewhere.  Decision to be made based on snow and ability to put together a reasonable travel plan and use the free lift days I have.  Current order of preference is Taos, or Aspen, or Mammoth, or Whistler.   Feb 26 Alta/Snowbird Feb 27-Mar 5 Jackson Gathering Mar 6  Alta/Snowbird   ~Mar 20-22 New England Gathering, VT   And possibly a few local day or overnight trips scattered throughout the winter.   I have to go to a wedding that weekend, so most...
I forgot about them! On the other extreme...