or Connect

Posts by mdf

They are downhill ski bindings. They were fairly common in the 1970s. The binding clamps from the side onto a small metal plate that is permanently attached to the boot.
Back when the alt.ski group on usenet was active, there was one guy who was always advocating something that sounds a lot like terrain-based instruction for beginners.
I like your skiing and your attitude.  I hope you get some discussion of the content -- I like it that you provide a (slightly) alternative point of view from the standard U.S. progression.  I don't have the teaching experience to have a real for or against opinion, though, or even catalog exactly what is different.  (I followed your debates with Bud ten or fifteen years ago very closely, since that was when I was working hard to modernize my skiing.  But I have to admit I...
Compliments to you and to your camera operator.
 I had a math professor in an upper level class who came in after the first exam with a hang-dog look on his face, slightly shaking his head, and said,"Hmmm, some of you did better than others on this test..."  and then he looked up, smiled and said...  [[SPOILER]]
I like Tim's point of view.  I think that even when (later in the learning process) it makes sense to work on fundamentals on easier terrain, it should be preceded by a run where the deficits make a difference.  Then it could be "See what happened to you there?  Let's go back to an easier trail and I'll show you how to avoid it."
Durrance must have had an amazing run too, but you neverhear about 2nd place. SUre, it was almost a minute slower than Matt, but it blew the previous record out of the water too.
Here's the longer first person account -- a quote of a quote,so I don't know the orginal provenance: "I'd Schuss the Headwall Again!" The first man to ever schuss Mt. Washington's terrifying Headwall recalls his dramatic run 21 years later. What's more, he set a course record in his daring bid for fame Ninety miles an hour on skis! That's the speed I attained in schussing the Tuckerman Ravine Headwall on Mt. Washington, New Hampshire, on April 16, 1939. It was in the...
Sure it does -- he straightlined over the lip and down the headwall, "So I schussed on top of the Lip, went over it, and by that time, you’re doing maybe 80 miles an hour and there’s no sense in turning, especially if you can’t turn well. So you say, well, you might as well go straight, you know, and hope for the best. So went straight and hoped for the best.” “So I went down the Sherburne Trail and I remember there was some S turns down there. Of course, by that time...
I've never been to Stratton. I seem to keep going to the same eight places over and over (and just three of those mostly).