or Connect

Posts by mdf

How did that start? I don't think the rescuers ever heard.
Many years ago, back before I got a helmet, I was skiing a bump run under a lift. It was a warm day, so I didn't have a hat either, and my hair was already mostly gray. Sugarloaf was running an ad campaign with photos people of various ages and the tagline "Sugarloafer since ". Someone yelled "Sugarloafer since 1940!" in the tone of "look at the old guy rip". Now the odd thing was, I wasn't nearly that old -- my hair went gray early -- and we were at the Sunday River...
If you are talking about what I think you are, the first option is still switching to new edges but staying flat enough that they don't hook up. Otherwise you are asking to catch an edge on the sidewall (rather than the base) and bad things will follow. If that is not it, I don't understand the question.
But how do you get the direction for the line from the COM down to where the S & T arrows are drawn?  The other end is not anchored to any object, so it must be based on some direction.  I suppose you could infer the net force direction from the acceleration of the COM.  Seems a bit indirect and therefore overly sensitive to noise and measurement uncertainty.
I think the reference is the line from the COM to the snow along the net force direction, not the ski.   Call the Pski to Pcom line P for brevity. The S vector is vertical.  The R vector is perpendicular to S and in the plane spanned by P and S.   So S is vertical, R is in the snow-surface plane in the inside-outside direction.  The third basis direction, call it U, is perpendicular to both S and T, so in the snow surface in the fore-aft direction. If the Pmid-Phip line is...
It's too bad they didn't decompose the angles (kappa especially) into two planes, rather than the total angle.  I would say the part of kappa in the (S, Pcom-Pski) plane is angulation but the component perpendicular to those two is "fore-aft"-ness.
True enough. The "one" in question never entered the run.
Actually it is "no more than one man left behind". I forget who was on that cornice run 2 years ago at aa basin, @JohnL maybe? And a few others.
1. Gathermeister - Skiing March 4, 2017 to March 11, 2017 after skiing the day. 2. Posaune - Unsure on the exact dates, but we'll be there for at least a few days. 3. Gorkin - Unsure on the exact dates, but we'll be there for at least a few days. 4. dbostedo - 3/5-3/11 | Intermediate 5. Old Boot - 3/5 - 3/11 6. Lady Salina 3/5 - 3/11 7. DesiredUsername - arriving March 4, skiing March 5-11.  Advanced/expert, 8. Shamora - arriving March 4, skiing March 5-11....
I treat boot-fitting as a spectator sport.